Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2015 6:18:31 AM EDT
The  legality of making SBR in WA is in limbo due to ambiguity in a recent amendment that was originally "intended" to enable SBR conversions, but did not explicitly state such.  It was originally presumed that the definition of "possession" would be in-line with NFA, which does include the ability to "make", but that has not been the case so far.  The issue is being addressed, but remains unresolved.  So for now, WA ATF won't approve form 1 SBR apps.  However, it will approve form 4 transfers, since that part of the law is uncontested.

Thus, given the situation, I am looking into utilizing an out-of-state NFA dealer who I could send my rifle to, to perform the conversion & send it back to my local FFL on a form 4 transfer.  I'm also posting this in other state forums to get a list of potential FFL's who might be interested in doing this.  My local dealer (no proessional affiliation) would also be potentially interested in making an arrangement with said out-of-state dealer to offer this as a service to other WA SBR applicants until the state law is remedied.  With 41p looming, it would be an opportunity for those of us who want to get SBR ocnversoin if/before the NFA rule changes.

ETA: I've posted this in other state forums to try to compile a list of potential dealers who could offer this service.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for info
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI it's possible to have a C2 convert a gun you already own to an SBR and then ship it directly back to you, as it's already your gun.  It's just like if you had shipped the gun to them to have some sights installed or something; no need to go through an FFL in your own state when it's returned.  It'll still be a form 4 transfer.

A couple years ago I had a Saiga-12 changed from title I to an SBS by Tromix in Oklahoma and returned directly to me in Texas, so I have firsthand knowledge that this is possible.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI it's possible to have a C2 convert a gun you already own to an SBR and then ship it directly back to you, as it's already your gun.  It's just like if you had shipped the gun to them to have some sights installed or something; no need to go through an FFL in your own state when it's returned.  It'll still be a form 4 transfer.

A couple years ago I had a Saiga-12 changed from title I to an SBS by Tromix in Oklahoma and returned directly to me in Texas, so I have firsthand knowledge that this is possible.
View Quote

That's what I am after.  I just recently found out in WA HTF that, apparently, ATF is now denying F4 transfers, which is inexplicable because that part of the law covering SBR transfers is plainly worded & clearly permitted.  I guess I'm going to have to do some digging, but I still would like to get a list of potential out-of-state C2 FFL's hwo could do this (I hope).

Scratch that.  F4 is GTG.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump, because I can't believe there isn't even 1 NFA dealer out there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Urban Civil Defense in Henderson, NV
175 Cassia Way Suite 118
Henderson, NV 89014
702-566-3188
Ask for Jason Blackwell

Jason is great to work with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Interested, also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top