Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2015 9:13:15 PM EDT
The Benton Co. Sheriffs department and local businesses are sponsoring a much needed clean up of a shooting site at Mary's peak.

From www.gazettetimes.com/philomathexpress

"The Benton County Sheriff's Office, Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service are sponsoring a cleanup day on Marys Peak Road on Saturday, June 20.

Volunteers are welcomed and needed to help clean up the rock quarry on Marys Peak where people have been shooting for years.

The cleanup will run from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.

Those planning to participate should bring a pair of glove. Everything else will be supplied. Businesses from the area have donated door prizes."

When I first moved here and didnt know anyone with land this was the only place I could find to shoot more than a hundred yards- and it was a dump. Its very difficult to find a good spot to shoot around here and we need to keep public land like this open to shooting so that new shooters, old shooters, and everyone in between can find a place to fall in love with the shooting sports and practice, practice practice! There are many of us that for one reason or another cant or wont go to a range or private land, and we need everyone's help that we can muster to show they are willing to take the responsibility to clean up after the idiots who leave their garbage lying about. We need to do everything we can to keep our sport alive and popular in this ever encroaching political climate we have today. Put your money and time where your mouth is and show that we are safe, responsible, and caring gun owners.

Ill be there from about 10:00am on, I have work Sat morning.
See you there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't be able to make it on Saturday due to a prior commitment, but I went shooting there today and picked up a trash bag full of junk, mostly cardboard boxes and old Coleman canisters.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
See you there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd call it a success, though this first pic doesn't capture the ~40 people that showed up. I'd roughly estimated we pulled about a ton of junk off the mountain, maybe a bit more.

Anthem, its too bad you couldn't stay for prizes. One of the little girls won the hatchet
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd call it a success, though this first pic doesn't capture the ~40 people that showed up. I'd roughly estimated we pulled about a ton of junk off the mountain, maybe a bit more.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Ben762/IMG_1428_zpszlfnv0tj.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Ben762/IMG_1431_zpsmk5gddmk.jpg

Anthem, its too bad you couldn't stay for prizes. One of the little girls won the hatchet
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Ben762/IMG_1428_zpszlfnv0tj.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Ben762/IMG_1431_zpsmk5gddmk.jpg

View Quote

Nice! everyone did a great job, we really cleaned it up. It looks so much better now. Save for the orange clay crumbles, you would never know people were shooting there. The guys up on the hill drug about 8 55 gallon trash bags of shotgun shells off the side of that cliff/enbankment. Crazy.  I had work from 0400 to 0900, scooted up to the cleanup, a kids birthday party to get to at 2:00, and then asleep by 8 to get up today at 0400 for 5 hours of work again. What a weekend. I wish I could have gotten in some of that prize ammo, but we went to clean, anything extra was a bonus.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I kind of want to see the before pictures, but I really hope no one, especially the Sheriffs dept, posts them. Its embarrassing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top