Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2015 8:47:20 PM EDT
I'm going from Idaho to see my sister and want to know how I can take a Glock. I do not have a Oregon permit, only a Utah CWP.  just wanting to know if open view or locked up in the car only.  I read a bunch and it's confusing. thanks oh hurry up I'm leaving in the am.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what part of Oregon you're going to, I wouldn't leave even a fucking empty bag of Skittles in plain view in my car.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I meant while driving. Idaho through Ontario to final destination Bend and back. no big city stuff
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I meant while driving. Idaho through Ontario to final destination Bend and back. no big city stuff
View Quote

I don't know the laws here in regard to non-residents (because I am not one as I reside here), but I wouldn't sweat it personally.  Watch your speed between Idaho and Bend (within reason) and you shouldn't come into contact with any police at all.  I make that drive a couple of times a year and I've never been pulled over.  But I have Oregon plates on my car, so that may be part of it.  The parts of this state that are bad for the kind of nonsense I'm assuming you're worrying about are much closer to Portland and Eugene then it sounds like you're planning to get.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't know the laws here in regard to non-residents (because I am not one as I reside here), but I wouldn't sweat it personally.  Watch your speed between Idaho and Bend (within reason) and you shouldn't come into contact with any police at all.  I make that drive a couple of times a year and I've never been pulled over.  But I have Oregon plates on my car, so that may be part of it.  The parts of this state that are bad for the kind of nonsense I'm assuming you're worrying about are much closer to Portland and Eugene then it sounds like you're planning to get.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured theres not much between Bend and ID, so if I drive slow and don't break out the Skittles. I should be good. thanks for the help and quick reply Sir.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Open carry is legal in Oregon, it doesn't matter what state you are from.  If you can legally own a gun, you can carry it in the open unless the particular building you are going into doesn't authorize carrying firearms.  

It gets a little more confusing with concealed carry.  If you want to be safe, put it in your trunk.  If you don't have a CWP you can't have it concealed in any area that you control and that includes the passenger compartment of your vehicle.  Google search ORS 166.250 and that should answer your questions, albeit a convoluted statute.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf
From the Oregon Firearms Federation:
Oregon has no State law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it’s :
(a) Not concealed or
(b) “Not readily accessible.” (If Concealed)
“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the
meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is
not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks
with a key.
However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car.
This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere
in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however,
be either visible or “not readily accessible."
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you have to be careful even having all the CCW stuff and being a resident. as to where it's legal in the bigger cities. I will get my enhanced Idaho ccw so that will be good for OR. (for future trips). I think I have enough info to stay out of trouble..thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Others have answered your question but,

If you come to Oregon frequently you should try to get a non-resident permit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like you have to be careful even having all the CCW stuff and being a resident. as to where it's legal in the bigger cities. I will get my enhanced Idaho ccw so that will be good for OR. (for future trips). I think I have enough info to stay out of trouble..thanks everyone for the help.
View Quote

Once you have an Oregon CHL, local ordinances do not apply to you.

Don't conceal it or make it readily accessible and you won't have a problem on east side of the Cascades.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't even know you could get a non resident permit. thanks, I will be going to Oregon alot so I will get the Idaho enhanced permit which covers Oregon just haven't yet since Idaho honors all permits and I only have the Utah permit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It is my understanding that Oregon does not currently accept any other states CHL.  I believe there is a proposal in the legislature to add reciprocity but with current climate who knows.

Quoted:

I didn't even know you could get a non resident permit. thanks, I will be going to Oregon alot so I will get the Idaho enhanced permit which covers Oregon just haven't yet since Idaho honors all permits and I only have the Utah permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is my understanding that Oregon does not currently accept any other states CHL.  I believe there is a proposal in the legislature to add reciprocity but with current climate who knows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I made a mistake. when you get the enhanced Idaho permit you also can get the Oregon permit included, the only thing you have to do is go to Oregon and have a LEO sign it. not exactly sure if it's a Oregon permit or just a add on to the Idaho enhanced permit. it does cost more and more is involved but it does get you Oregon from everything I have been told by Idaho people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top