Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 8:11:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of Chuck Riley, but I'm equally not a fan of soundbite "gotcha" politics.

I think it's pretty clear and obvious he was saying that, by the federal legal standards of the time, slavery wasn't considered to be wrong, immoral or unethical.  Which is a historically accurate statement as evidenced by the Dred Scott decision.

Trying to turn it into a "Does Chuck Riley support slavery?" soundbite seems a bit petty and disingenuous to me.  I'm sure that type of nonsense plays well with certain crowds, but I'm equally sure it doesn't play well with other crowds we need to educate on the salient issue.

And there is an actual issue here, relating to Riley's incorrect (imo) stance on gun background checks.  It would be nice if we could take the high road and focus on that instead, and leave the silly histrionics to the hungry-for-histrionics talk radio crowd.  IMHO, not taking that approach doesn't do us any favors.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a fan of Chuck Riley, but I'm equally not a fan of soundbite "gotcha" politics.

I think it's pretty clear and obvious he was saying that, by the federal legal standards of the time, slavery wasn't considered to be wrong, immoral or unethical.  Which is a historically accurate statement as evidenced by the Dred Scott decision.

Trying to turn it into a "Does Chuck Riley support slavery?" soundbite seems a bit petty and disingenuous to me.  I'm sure that type of nonsense plays well with certain crowds, but I'm equally sure it doesn't play well with other crowds we need to educate on the salient issue.

And there is an actual issue here, relating to Riley's incorrect (imo) stance on gun background checks.  It would be nice if we could take the high road and focus on that instead, and leave the silly histrionics to the hungry-for-histrionics talk radio crowd.  IMHO, not taking that approach doesn't do us any favors.

View Quote

Thank you. I feel the same and I am embarrassed and ashamed when "my side" resorts to tactics that are deceptive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you. I feel the same and I am embarrassed and ashamed when "my side" resorts to tactics that are deceptive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly though, this is the norm.  Its about the only way to get the mouth breathing TV watchers to form an opinion and possibly act on it.  Doesn't matter how true it is.  People are dumb on both sides.  Frankly, I am at odds about it.  On the one hand I want to see Riley out but at the same time, it's not really morally correct to hit sort of below the belt like this, even though the other side and the media do it constantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top