Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 10:04:14 PM EDT
I've never done any competitive shooting... at all...

Do any of you guys go to the GSSF shoots? I see they have two in Oregon this summer.

Is it easy for a newbie to get started at these shoots, or is there a better way to get into competitive shooting?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never been either. Looks like a fun way to get into it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Might try Speed Steel/Steel Challenge... very simple and down-to-earth match and a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
ABC House Match down in Albany is probably the best Pistol Competition in the State IMO.  So much fun, such great BBQ.  Its a fundraiser so its not really a "competition" but its a good way to ease in to it.  And the BBQ is good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the details on that. ABC sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Its for the ABC House down in albany.  Its a really good time.  Its the only competition I do and I like it that way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#6]
GSSF matches are a good entry into competition shooting. Oregon is one of the only states with multiple GSSF matches. I went to my first match last year. I won a pistol and was paid $100 for my placing in one division. If the GSSF matches don't fit your schedule consider speed steel matches at any of the local clubs that hold them. They are also great matches for shooters getting into competition. Pistol matches are great for pushing people to improving skills in speed and accuracy.

Pros
New shooters welcomed and encouraged
Great prizes, guns and cash
Glock Armour available at the match and will fix pistols if needed for nothing.
You can enter multiple divisions

Cons
Cost per division high
Only a few stages
Safety rules are a little different than most pistol matches
The strategy leans heavily more towards accuracy than speed.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its for the ABC House down in albany.  Its a really good time.  Its the only competition I do and I like it that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not in Alaska that looks awesome.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GSSF matches are a good entry into competition shooting. Oregon is one of the only states with multiple GSSF matches. I went to my first match last year. I won a pistol and was paid $100 for my placing in one division. If the GSSF matches don't fit your schedule consider speed steel matches at any of the local clubs that hold them. They are also great matches for shooters getting into competition. Pistol matches are great for pushing people to improving skills in speed and accuracy.

Pros
New shooters welcomed and encouraged
Great prizes, guns and cash
Glock Armour available at the match and will fix pistols if needed for nothing.
You can enter multiple divisions

Cons
Cost per division high
Only a few stages
Safety rules are a little different than most pistol matches
The strategy leans heavily more towards accuracy than speed.

View Quote

Thanks for the info. My wife wants to give it a shot too. I think it'll be fun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is in fact awesome.  I won a 1911 there a couple years ago.  All but 1 year I won more in prizes than paid in the entry fee and got fed on top of that.  I have already offered up a bunch of stuff for the prize table.  Going to try to really give back this year if I can.  Only downers are that its in Albany, and the grass pollen down there is absolutely terrible that time of year.  But if you can snort enough claritin and sudafed you are gtg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top