Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
We knew it was coming. The Universal Background Check Bill, or as KS calls it, the Universal Registration Bill.

I've skimmed through it, and it is pretty thorough. As much as I DON'T want this , and will write everyone I can, call them and send more money to OFF, it is NOT as poorly written as I-594, passed across the Columbia in WA.

It seems to "allow" (thank you overlords for ALLOWING me to exercise a right!) "temporary" transfers for hunting, training, at the range, etc.

I hate incrementalism, but given the status of the legislature, this thing is not as bad as it could be. Still pisses me off that I can't sell a gun to a buddy I've known for 30 years.

If I sound defeated, I am. I don't think this is a fight we can win.  

If this is ALL we get out of this session, I'll be amazed. Still waiting on scary gun bans to pop up....

Here's the text of the Bill  Universal Registration Bill

Link to OFF Alert  Oregon Firearms Federation

ETA Hmmm. Just noticed some language changes to CHL application...I'll have to reserve judgment until I figure out what it means.

ETA 2 - Thanks Roc762 for title edit idea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I read the bill too. And it does allow plenty of exceptions, and appears to be written much better than I-594. I share your pessimism regarding its chance of passage.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Called both my Democraps, as if that would do any good...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]

I tried to use the OFF automailer to send e-mails to all legislative members as I had done in the past. Now I can't do it and the OFF web site says yahoo, hot mail, AOL,gmail have some kind of blocker on third party e-mail. Anyway to get around this without doing individual e-mails??
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
While they're at it, maybe they should pass a law requiring cocaine dealers to meet up with their customers for a consultation with the pharmacist at the local pharmacy counter.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's an update.  They will attempt to fast track it April 1st.

Of course the other side seems to have had a couple weeks again to get organized and set their calendars.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/gun-grab-is-flying-through-the-legislature

Please be sure to not only respond to your representatives, but also contact friends as well.  They are counting on us not showing up in numbers.  I want to disappoint them!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If I read this correctly and it passes I and lots of others will lose our out of state CHLs?   Oregon doesn't reciprocate so we are fucked huh?   I am calling and emailing anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Just sent more money to OFF.

Wrote my reps today.

If standing on my head counting backwards from 1000 would help, I'd do that too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Just sent an email to Chuck "I took $135k from Everytown and the Brady bunch" Riley.  Doubt it will do much good, and I probably got a little snarkier than I should have but its a lost cause.  That race was one that I really wish didn't have a Libertarian Candidate.  Then Starr probably would have won and we would be a little less likely to have crap like this go through.  I am just waiting to see what kind of hell hole this state will turn into thanks to the lib admin and to see if they will take any of the blame when the big companies start leaving the state because of the crap they are going to start pulling.  Ugh, I hope stuff gets back on track at some point, but for now, I think its going to be all down hill from here.  I bet by the next elections we will be back to muskets only and even then those will have to be checked in at the local army barracks.  :(
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While they're at it, maybe they should pass a law requiring cocaine dealers to meet up with their customers for a consultation with the pharmacist at the local pharmacy counter.  Idiots.
View Quote

Good plan. I'll be we could find a couple of people who would propose such a bill, given the right financial motivation.  

I know some of you folks are smart enough to stay out of GD, but I posted there too. Lots of out-of-staters chiming in!

GD Post
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just called my senator.  The staffer said they'd gotten a huge flood of calls, almost all opposing the bill.  Also gave $25 to OFF yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I know its short notice, but here is a list of Town Halls for some of these idjits.  Looks like they are probably trying to rally the troops or something.  I am thinking of dragging the kids to Chuckie's little derp fest in the AM and try to articulate how wrong he is and how he only won by 269 votes and probably wouldn't even be in office if it wasn't for the libertarian oppositions splitting the conservative vote.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe edit the title of this thread to say "Act now, FTF transfers soon to be illegal in Oregon" or something more specific in addition to SB 941.  Outside of a few folks on gun sites no one knows about this.  

Bill was introduced a week before Public testimony was scheduled, and a vote is scheduled for the following day.

Public testimony is 8am in Salem on the 1st.  An OFF email stated that this was scheduled around a pre-existing moms demand action rally to maximize the anti's turn out.  

Speed, surprise, and violence of action = representative government?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just left a week ago to move down here but I'll be sending letters and donating. I was born and raised in Oregon and I'll do everything I can to keep her free.

Good luck dudes. Let me know what else I can/should do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just left a week ago to move down here but I'll be sending letters and donating. I was born and raised in Oregon and I'll do everything I can to keep her free.

Good luck dudes. Let me know what else I can/should do.
View Quote

That's pretty cool.

Enjoy your CCW bypass in AZ
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The Oregon legislator also introduced SB945

"Creates crime of endangering a minor by allowing access to a firearm."
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
And now all of us in Oregon can see why Kitzhaber's own party dismantled him bit-by-bit. Kate Brown is a fierce Obama lover and gun-grabber. Kitz had his pockets too well lined and wasn't driving the Liberal wagon hard enough. So they overthrew him and bestowed us Kate Brown. A true libtard through and through.

I'm sick of Oregon being ran by the jobless d-bags in Multnomah County... All of those hipster, urbanite idiots who want something for nothing and are willing to toss all of our Rights into the fire to get something for nothing.

/rant
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Any chance of RECALL for this senator from Eugene?

Is that realistic?  At least some payback, like the two recalls in Colorado.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Have any news stations aired any stories regarding this bill? even if they paint our side in a negative light, it would still get the word out.
Not very many Oregon gun owners frequent online forums, but I bet a lot of them either watch the morning or evening news at least a couple times week.

If they haven't aired anything yet, I bet a well worded topic of interest email Towards this highly heated political topic would get some sort of response.

Just food for thought
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#20]
The only one I have heard has been 101.1 or whatever Portland's talk Radios when they do the news in the mornings and evenings.  They don't go in-depth but have reported on it.  

I know Lars Larson has spoken in-depth about the bill when he does his local show.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Burn up their phone lines guys!

Please reach out to the following Senators and express your opinion since we don’t know their position on the bill.
Senator Chuck Riley, 503-986-1715 [email protected]
Senator Arnie Roblan, 503-986-1705 [email protected]
Senator Chris Edwards, 503-986-1707 [email protected]  
Lee Beyer, 503-986-1706 [email protected]
Senator Alan Bates, 503-986-1703 [email protected]
Senator Mark Haas, 503-986-1714 [email protected]
Senator Floyd Prozanski, 503-986-1704 [email protected]
Senator Michael Dembrow, 503-986-1723 [email protected]
Senator Laurie Monnes-Anderson, 503-986-1725 [email protected]
Senator Rod Monroe, 503-986-1724 [email protected]
Senator Elizabeth Steiner-Hayward, 503-986-1717 [email protected]
Senator Diane Rosenbaum, 503-986-1721 [email protected]
Senator Ginny Burdick, 503-986-1718 [email protected]
Senator Sara Gelser, 503-986-1708 [email protected]
Senator Richard Devlin, 503-986-1719 [email protected]
Senator Chip Shields, 503-986-1722 [email protected]
Senate President, Senator Peter Courtney, [email protected] 
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have any news stations aired any stories regarding this bill? even if they paint our side in a negative light, it would still get the word out.
Not very many Oregon gun owners frequent online forums, but I bet a lot of them either watch the morning or evening news at least a couple times week.

If they haven't aired anything yet, I bet a well worded topic of interest email Towards this highly heated political topic would get some sort of response.

Just food for thought
View Quote

Everytown for gun safety is running commercials stating false facts on background check numbers using Mike Reece as their front man. Recall effort underway as we speak.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
it passed House and Senate and is on its way to the new governor's desk.  it will undoubtedly be signed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#24]
NRA-ILA: Institute for Legislative Action

Oregon: “Universal” Background Check Bill Scheduled for Hearing This Week

Senate Bill 941, legislation which seeks to expand background checks to private transfers, is scheduled to be heard in the House Rules Committee on Wednesday, April 22, at 1:00 p.m., in Hearing Room 50.  Unlike previous hearings on SB 941, the House Rules Committee is scheduled to hear two hours of invited testimony followed by public testimony from 3:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.  Please consider attending Wednesday’s hearing to provide testimony in opposition to this egregious bill.  Testimony will be limited to two minutes per person so please keep it concise.  Further details can be found here.  If you are unable to attend in person, the Committee meeting record will remain open and written testimony can be submitted to [email protected] until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 23.  Please call and email members of the House Rules Committee as well as your state Representative and urge them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 941.  Also, please forward this email to friends, family and fellow Second Amendment supporters in Oregon and encourage them to do the same.

As previously reported, SB 941 would require individuals to appear before a gun dealer to request a criminal background check prior to privately transferring a firearm, absent limited exceptions.  Transfers include, but are not limited to, sales, gifts, loans and leases.  Failure to comply with this mandate could result in stiff penalties and possible loss of an individual’s right to keep and bear arms.

So-called “universal” background checks do nothing to reduce violent crime, and only affect law-abiding gun owners by imposing cumbersome mandates and restrictions on the lawful purchase and possession of firearms.  Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law and do not subject themselves to gun control schemes or background checks.  It is already illegal to knowingly sell or transfer a firearm to someone classified as a prohibited person, and is a felony for a prohibited person to buy, own or possess a firearm.  This is an ineffective and unenforceable piece of legislation that will only impact the law abiding.  

SB 941, like many other gun control schemes, is a step towards the full registration of firearms.  In January 2013, the Department of Justice said that background checks on all firearm transfers “depends on…requiring gun registration.”

House Committee on Rules:

Representative Val Hoyle (D-14), Chair
(503) 986-1414
[email protected]

Representative Barbara Smith Warner (D-45), Vice-Chair
(503) 986-1445
[email protected]

Representative Vic Gilliam (R-18), Vice-Chair
503) 986-1418
[email protected]

Representative Phil Barnhart (D-11)
(503) 986-1411
[email protected]

Representative Bill Kennemer (R-39)
(503) 986-1439
[email protected]

Representative Mike McLane (R-55)
(503) 986-1400
[email protected]

Representative Rob Nosse (D-42)
(503) 986-1442
[email protected]

Representative Dan Rayfield (D-16)
(503) 986-1416
[email protected]

Representative Carl Wilson (R-3)
(503) 986-1403
[email protected]

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#25]

This thing can be unpinned. Get ready for the next batch. Until they adjourn, no doubt more crap on the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top