Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 5:57:18 PM EDT
NW Armory Tigard informed me that the City of Tigard  is enforcing a rule that has been on their books.  

ANY firearm sold to a gun or pawnshop that wasn't originally purchased at that shop must remain in a 30 day hold before being put up for sale.  It cannot be in the public view either during that 30 day period.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
2 words "private sale".
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The old Gunbroker had to abide by that rule too. Nothing new really but it does suck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old Gunbroker had to abide by that rule too. Nothing new really but it does suck.
View Quote

No they didn't.  They had to abide by a 15 day rule, but they were able to display and pre-sell the firearms.  The last 3-4 years prior to closing the city had suspended the rule.  The city now figures that since it's on the books it's a "great rule", to recover all those stolen firearms and bad guys selling them.

Yes, it does suck.....big time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still trying to figure out what sucks about this, or how it negatively affects people, other than pawn or gun shops in Tigard. Maybe I'm missing something tho.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
166.170 State preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

166.174 Authority of city, county, municipal corporation or district to regulate possession or sale of firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a city, county or other municipal corporation or district may not adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession or sale of firearms in a public building that is rented or leased to a person during the term of the lease. [1995 s.s. c.1 §5]
View Quote

I just play a lawyer on the internet but it would appear to me that Tigard's is void according to the actual laws. Not that silly laws seem to make much difference these days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just play a lawyer on the internet but it would appear to me that Tigard's is void according to the actual laws. Not that silly laws seem to make much difference these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

166.174 Authority of city, county, municipal corporation or district to regulate possession or sale of firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a city, county or other municipal corporation or district may not adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession or sale of firearms in a public building that is rented or leased to a person during the term of the lease. [1995 s.s. c.1 §5]

This didn't stop Portland & Multnomah from enacting their own more encroaching restrictions. Like carrying a loaded magazine or weapon & the gun free zone anywhere in PDX & surrounding area that was ruled as illegal & had to stop, but they still haven't fully complied. This is what's wrong, every jurisdiction wants to be their own authoritarian democratic dictatorship nanny state, checks & balances have totally failed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not certain that's true.  If the intent was simply to ensure local governments made no laws regulating firearms, it would read: "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a city, county or other municipal corporation or district may not adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession or sale of firearms."

But it doesn't end there.  There's a curious bit of language on the end: "...in a public building that is rented or leased to a person during the term of the lease."  That last bit of wording suggests to me this law was written for a very specific and narrow purpose, and was intended to be applied only to that specific and narrow purpose.  Otherwise, that last bit of wording makes no sense in the context of the first part of the sentence.  

This law reads like it came about as the result of some type of landlord/tenant dispute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top