Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2015 8:09:26 PM EDT
Recently moved to The Coast from Montana.

I was living in what was basically a high desert type climate. Ammo was kept on a shelf in the factory boxes, guns were kept in a safe with no dehumidifier. Post shooting cleaning and lubrication was optional.

My new place is about 200 yards from the beach. How much of an issue is the humidity/salt air?

I assume that the ammo will have to come out of the factory boxes and go into ammo cans with desiccant.

What about the guns? Will a Goldenrod type dehumidifier in the safe be sufficient or do I have to take more extreme measures? Dip them in cosmolilne between range trips?

What do you guys do?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My stepdad owns a bike shop out here on the westside of portland, so I get Boeshield T9 from him whenever I need.  Its a lube designed by Boeing and used a lot as a bike chain lubricant.  I use this on all of my guns that are stored for long periods with out shooting.  It forms a really nice protective layer that is kind of waxy.  The stuff is amazing.  Once I started using that, I have not had any issues with rusting.  I think Brownells did a write up on it and it came in just behind cosmoline in their testing IIRC.  It doesn't work so well as a lube fore semi-auto guns, but for Bolt guns, shotguns and such, it is great.   For the ammo, I would definitely go with the ammo can.  Desiccants, I am on the fence about needing, but really, it can't hurt.  I would also say, put your safe and ammo in the climate controlled part of the house if possible.  That will provide less opportunity for large temp swings and un wanted moisture getting in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I lived by the beach for years. Yes you do need to pay more attention to your firearms. Here are my thoughts:

As mentioned, try to store them in an area with minimal temperature swings. I have not used the golden rod but I would use some sort of dehumidifier. After shooting a bore snake is a good idea to knock moisture attracting particles out of the barrel. Pay more attention to finger prints and wipe them off before storing. I use a simple silicone rag for the task.

I can't tell you anything about ammo. Mine never lasts long enough to worry about.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I lived in Lincoln City for a year and a half with no issues when storing my guns under the bed, in the closet, in gun cases sitting on the spare bed. Just make sure they are cleaned and dry before putting them away and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Sounds like it might not be much of an issue after all.

I've got a dedicated gun room in the basement. No windows, so maintaining a constant temp should be no problem.

Only one of my guns is blued, all the rest have some kind of mil spec or better finish.

Hopefully, what I've been using will continue to work in my new location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top