Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2015 6:13:04 AM EDT
Been planning a big move for a couple years now and it's FINALLY happening. March 20th, I will be headin out and moving to Tucson, Arizona. Have a good job waiting for me and I'm excited as hell.

Any tips/tricks you guys have for the move and facts, info and all that about AZ would be cool (Anthem I know you're from Arizona). Gonna miss my family, trees, and Oregon but it's time to branch out and head out on my own (with my fiancee)!

And Dash if you want those beers I owe ya you best get your ass down here soon!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Only kidding!!

Congrats!! Hate to see you go but at least you chose a good state to swap.

Feb 8-11 Im in Medford.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You will love it in AZ.  All of the beautiful scenery of Oregon without the Liberal derp.  Gun laws are great.  Some great hunting in AZ if that is your thing.  What is really cool is there is tons of public land that isn't inaccessible due to timber companies shutting down access points.

Housing can be expensive and depending on your area you do have to worry about the drug trade out in the desert.  Only downsides I can really think of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will love it in AZ.  All of the beautiful scenery of Oregon without the Liberal derp.  Gun laws are great.  Some great hunting in AZ if that is your thing.  What is really cool is there is tons of public land that isn't inaccessible due to timber companies shutting down access points.

Housing can be expensive and depending on your area you do have to worry about the drug trade out in the desert.  Only downsides I can really think of.
View Quote

Right on thank you. Ya I love to hunt and I can't wait to get out in the desert and hunt some coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Coyotes you say?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Coyotes you say?

View Quote

Ya it should be pretty easy to spot em from my balloon. Hopefully the little bastards don't get a shot off back and pop that son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations! Finally doin it, huh?
Mar 20th is Cola Warrior west, you might take a little detour through Vegas and say hello!
I really dont have much to tell you that Im sure you dont already know. Tucson is a little liberal for by Arizona standards, but you wont notice it coming from here. Double check any neighborhoods you plan on moving into. Theres lots to see all around, if you miss trees, you can venture up to Prescott or Flagstaff- it wont be like home, but you will get some greenery. Drop into the Arizona Hometown forum, there are seriously some really great guys over there. Dont forget to pay the Rizzo ammo tax!

Good luck, and please, if you have any questions- ask.

-Matt
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mar 20th is Cola Warrior west, you might take a little detour through Vegas and say hello!
I really dont have much to tell you that Im sure you dont already know. Tucson is a little liberal for by Arizona standards, but you wont notice it coming from here. Double check any neighborhoods you plan on moving into. Theres lots to see all around, if you miss trees, you can venture up to Prescott or Flagstaff- it wont be like home, but you will get some greenery. Drop into the Arizona Hometown forum, there are seriously some really great guys over there. Dont forget to pay the Rizzo ammo tax!

-Matt
View Quote

Hey thanks buddy. I've been waiting a long LONG time for this. Haha How long will Cola Warrior be going on? I'm leaving the 20th but I have to work or they won't give me my final check. I'm gonna leave here around 11 and get as much driving out of the way as I possibly can to hopefully get there early Sunday.

And what's a Rizzo ammo tax?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey thanks buddy. I've been waiting a long LONG time for this. Haha How long will Cola Warrior be going on? I'm leaving the 20th but I have to work or they won't give me my final check. I'm gonna leave here around 11 and get as much driving out of the way as I possibly can to hopefully get there early Sunday.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Matt

Go introduce yourself in the AZHTF and youll find out quick!

Theres only 2 routes you should consider:
Through Nevada; Lots of desolate, open spaces,(no gas or services for 100 miles or more sometimes) but quickest. Take I5 to Mt. Shasta, Then head east along the 89, 44, and 395 to Reno. Then the I80 to Hwy95 all the way to Las Vegas. Then Hwy 93 (right past the location of Cola Warrior) through Kingman and Wickenberg to Phoenix. Skirt Phoenix on the 303 south, then take I10 into Tucson.

Or through, California. Lots of places to stop, with only a few desolate ares between Barstow and Havasu, Havasu and Phoenix. Take the I5 south through Sacramento to Stockton. Jump east to head South on Hwy 99 in Stockton. Follow the 99 all the way to Bakersfield Where you take Hwy 58 east to Barstow, Where you take the I40 east past Needles, CA.

This is very important: Follow the Interstate 40 UNTIL YOU ARE IN ARIZONA, THEN take Hwy 95 south through Lake Havasu City.

You will see signs for California Hwy 95 after Needles, but you must use the Arizona turn off to go through Lake Havasu City or you will end up taking a 150 mile detour around the lake with no gas stops. Anyway, from Lake Havasu, you continue south on Hwy 95 to the junction with I10, and take I10 east the rest of the way to Tuscon.

Its a long ass trip. Check your spares, fuel up often, and carry water. From Tahacapi through Needles has a weird vibe, alot of weird stuff in that corner of Southern California. Its my favorite part of the drive.

Link to Cola Warrior
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Through Nevada; Lots of desolate, open spaces,(no gas or services for 100 miles or more sometimes) but quickest. Take I5 to Mt. Shasta, Then head east along the 89, 44, and 395 to Reno. Then the I80 to Hwy95 all the way to Las Vegas. Then Hwy 93 (right past the location of Cola Warrior) through Kingman and Wickenberg to Phoenix. Skirt Phoenix on the 303 south, then take I10 into Tucson.

Or through, California. Lots of places to stop, with only a few desolate ares between Barstow and Havasu, Havasu and Phoenix. Take the I5 south through Sacramento to Stockton. Jump east to head South on Hwy 99 in Stockton. Follow the 99 all the way to Bakersfield Where you take Hwy 58 east to Barstow, Where you take the I40 east past Needles, CA.

This is very important: Follow the Interstate 40 UNTIL YOU ARE IN ARIZONA, THEN take Hwy 95 south through Lake Havasu City.

You will see signs for California Hwy 95 after Needles, but you must use the Arizona turn off to go through Lake Havasu City or you will end up taking a 150 mile detour around the lake with no gas stops. Anyway, from Lake Havasu, you continue south on Hwy 95 to the junction with I10, and take I10 east the rest of the way to Tuscon.

Its a long ass trip. Check your spares, fuel up often, and carry water. From Tahacapi through Needles has a weird vibe, alot of weird stuff in that corner of Southern California. Its my favorite part of the drive.

Link to Cola Warrior
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Matt

Link to Cola Warrior

Sheeeeet I don't even need my gps! Thanks man!

I was planning on taking the first route. As an added bonues it would be cool as hell to check out Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

-Matt
View Quote

Dude the AZ guys won't tell me what a Rizzo tax is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
They will wait till you have all yer shit packed- or until you're on the road to tell you. There is no getting out of it. Arizona, land of entrapment...or is that New Mexico? IDk, Ive been drinking.
Goin kinda gung-ho with the avatar, what if it sucks being dry, warm, and surrounded by ASU poon?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:21:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They will wait till you have all yer shit packed- or until you're on the road to tell you. There is no getting out of it. Arizona, land of entrapment...or is that New Mexico? IDk, Ive been drinking.
Goin kinda gung-ho with the avatar, what if it sucks being dry, warm, and surrounded by ASU poon?
View Quote

I'll  have to be there for at least 4 years then take it from there.....  I'll like it down there tho I gurantee it.

This Rizzo thing is stressing me out tho! Da fuq dude give me a hint at least!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Just left Medford and I'm heading to Az!

Bye guys!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bye guys!
View Quote

Ha! I beat you down here.

Good luck with that new pup.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bye guys!

You cheated.

I gotta hurry and get there or I'LL be the one he won't listen to.

" />
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been planning a big move for a couple years now and it's FINALLY happening. March 20th, I will be headin out and moving to Tucson, Arizona. Have a good job waiting for me and I'm excited as hell.

Any tips/tricks you guys have for the move and facts, info and all that about AZ would be cool (Anthem I know you're from Arizona). Gonna miss my family, trees, and Oregon but it's time to branch out and head out on my own (with my fiancee)!

And Dash if you want those beers I owe ya you best get your ass down here soon!

View Quote

I just moved up here from AZ back in January. Quickest route is to take I-5 to I-10W and then catch then turn-off to Tuscon in Phoenix. it's about a 4 hour drive (depending on how you drive) between Tuscon and Phoenix, with little to see once you get into AZ. If you're wanting to avoid CA (and who wouldn't), then going through Reno would be your next best option. Try to avoide going down through Flagstaff/Sedona if you can (if you're in a U-Haul) as those hills are steep and most rental trucks don't like that route.

Be prepared for sales tax and don't forget that you will pump your own gas there. Tuscon isn't exactly the gem of Arizona, but it's decent enough. Lots of places to shoot and Constitutional Carry is in effect. Watch out for border jumpers/drug mules (yes, they do exist there) and get prepared for the heat in 3-4 months. Seeing 110-115 is normal with 120 in July and August not being uncommon either. Your electric bill will be through the roof ($350+) during the summer. AZ's summer is like winter to everybody else (IE they don't go out much). Hop on down to the AZ forums and if you want to pick up a AZ CCW permit then I would highly suggest talking to threefeathers (he'll be close to you) or Rizzo1318. If he ask's for his "ammo tax" tell him you can deliver it to him at about 3300f/s.

Housing shouldn't be too terrible and the guys in the AZ HTF can direct you to a good realtor in the Tuscon area.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Pumping my own gas is awesome. It's so damn nice not having to wait on people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Was in Tempe for 10-years. Miss a lot of friends and do miss AZ a bit too, but it does get a tad warm from time-to-time. Phoenix valley had a lot of people, the air was brown and the already mentioned heat was tough. Awesome 2A state though. Lots of great gun companies and gunsmiths. If you're into 1911s or Smith revolvers one of the absolute best gunsmiths ever is there in Phoenix (32nd and Cactus), Nelson Ford thegunsmith.com, great gunsmith and one of the best human beings you'll ever meet. Enjoy! Its an awesome place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top