Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 10:59:00 AM EDT
Morning,

Can I ship an AR to Alaska in two different non-carry on suit cases? Upper in one and lower in another?

Going there for Christmas and did not want to do the hard case thing, but did want to shoot w/my boys.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
you can always mail it to yourself in alaska
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Different airlines have different restrictions and procedures for having a firearm in baggage. However for the tea the rules are the same. The firearm must be declared and inspected. Putting it in two separate pieces of baggage does not change this. Having traveled with firearms many times this only seems like more trouble on your part than necessary. And it is only legal to mail firearms if it is from the owner to a ffl holder or from a manufacturer with ffl directly to the owner of the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend that flew back to Georgia from Portland and he had 3 Pmags on his carry on and it was a big No-NO, got a lot of hassle by TSA, he travels with guns all the time (collector) and the rule is that you MUST check it in and it has to be in a TSA approved case with Locks (paddle locks), they don't want you to use the tSA approved locks (the ones that they can open), he uses regular paddle locks, he never had had an issue.

I will recommend you just checking it in.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Gents, I'll just check it in.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Different airlines have different restrictions and procedures for having a firearm in baggage. However for the tea the rules are the same. The firearm must be declared and inspected. Putting it in two separate pieces of baggage does not change this. Having traveled with firearms many times this only seems like more trouble on your part than necessary. And it is only legal to mail firearms if it is from the owner to a ffl holder or from a manufacturer with ffl directly to the owner of the firearm.
View Quote

Incorrect.  You may mail it to yourself.

From the ATF's website.

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From the ATF's website.

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the ATF's website.

That is correct. Herbd, it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself as long as no one opens the package. I mailed a friend in CA his gun after confirming with his attorney it was legal to do so. The firearm you are shipping to yourself must be legal in the location you are shipping to. If it is not then you are breaking a law.

If someone other than the legal owner or an FFL opens the package you have broken the law.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is correct. Herbd, it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself as long as no one opens the package. I mailed a friend in CA his gun after confirming with his attorney it was legal to do so. The firearm you are shipping to yourself must be legal in the location you are shipping to. If it is not then you are breaking a law.

If someone other than the legal owner or an FFL opens the package you have broken the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the ATF's website.

That's good to know, thank you guys for the correction there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top