Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 10:27:18 PM EDT
Hey folks-

I'm a recent addition to the Oregon citizenry from TX (and I have to say, the day I got my ORDL, I had the strange urge to buy a Prius, some Birkenstocks, and vote for Hillary- but that's beside the point).

As a bored college student, I spent many an hour offering my time and ammo to local ranchers and landowners back in TX to help clear their lands and protect their cattle and levees from coyote, hogs, and nutria.
I'd love to take up that past time again here in OR.

Coyotes- they're everywhere.
Nutria- these little buggers seem to have made it up here as well.
Hogs- I hear they're growing in numbers. We're practically overrun in the South.

Do you guys spend any time taking these species? As I understand it, a general hunting license will cover these as they are not protected mammals and each has open season?
Is this correct?

And if anyone out there does go after these, are there any areas near the Portland/Salem areas that you've had success in? A friend has land out in Unity, but that's a heck of a hike for some varmint.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard. I am disappointed that you were going to go out and buy a Prius when you obviously should be riding your bike or taking public transportation. Do you hate the planet or something?

I haven't hunted any of those varmints but your Oregon hunting license should cover them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Seen a ton of coyotes out calling/hunting bear this year and lots of scat near the Jefferson wilderness area.  I have not seen the numbers of coyotes on the coast as I have in the Cascades but that doesn't mean there are not plenty of coyotes on the coast.  It's just really thick and rains more on the coast so I may just not be seeing them.

Buy a Mt. Lion tag as well.  The chances are slim you will call one in but about that time you don't have a tag a lion will come stumbling in.  I think the Mt. lion tags like $10.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot some Nutria near Tangent when I was in college. Maybe try on the grass seed farms? That is where we had success.

For the coyotes, they can be found just about everywhere. Start finding public land, even sections that are only a couple of hundred acres where hunting is allowed, and the dogs will likely be nearby. On the west side of the Cascades, a shotgun will be your friend due to the thicker cover. Over on the east side, a rifle is more helpful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a ton of nutria by the Clackamas Costco, right in front of the Oregon State Police foresics lab...
Might be a little tricky but....

I'll hunt coyotes when up in the sticks (east of Hood). Have a rabbit call used with some success.

the link below should cover your yote's and nutria,
Oregon Reg's on Fur Bearing Animals

Here is the boar info
Deliverence
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a ton of nutria by the Clackamas Costco, right in front of the Oregon State Police foresics lab...
Might be a little tricky but....

I'll hunt coyotes when up in the sticks (east of Hood). Have a rabbit call used with some success.

the link below should cover your yote's and nutria,
Oregon Reg's on Fur Bearing Animals

Here is the boar info
Deliverence
View Quote

Tons of those river rats down there, not more than a stones throw away is more than healthy population of yotes.
Hell happy valley is lousy thick with the yotes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info, folks- now just to get my 3x scope mounted and rifle sighted!
orARGB- that info was awesome!

Let me know if you guys run across a cattle pasture or grass seed field overrun with 'yotes or nutrias respectively.

Have ammo will travel!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top