Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing.

Photos of the construction of the jetty and trains is approximately 1890's. History of the Columbia River Jetty's

Many of the photos were taken in this area, Point Adams. You can still see the railroad pilings going out to the jetty.

The picture of the buildings at Ft Stevens was probably here, Old Building Foundations at Ft Stevens

The life saving station is here, Point Adams Station. More info, Life Saving Station #311

Local History organizations,

Friends of Ft Stevens

Clatsop County Historical Society

Astoria
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Early last spring I went to Ft. Stevens with the family.  We paid the extra $12 or whatever it wound up being to have the guided tour inside the battery.  Well worth the money, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in history or artillery.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Early last spring I went to Ft. Stevens with the family.  We paid the extra $12 or whatever it wound up being to have the guided tour inside the battery.  Well worth the money, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in history or artillery.
View Quote

You can go inside battery Russell?  I haven't been up there for over twenty years and I don't recall any access.  That is so cool!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can go inside battery Russell?  I haven't been up there for over twenty years and I don't recall any access.  That is so cool!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used to have my church campout every year at Battery Russell and we'd always have the most epic capture the flag matches you can imagine. Wooded & thorns behind it (facing the coast), the battery itself, and the large grass lawn in front. With the almost 100% symmetrical nature of the thing, when you get 60+ people playing in complete darkness, it's unreal. I haven't been back in many years, but I never remember any part of the battery being off limits or closed off. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were spending an hour to stalk to the other side.

The main Fort that's a ways away was the one that was always roped off everywhere and required a tour. But Russell itself was always completely open. If that's changed it makes me sad to hear it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be thinking way more than 20 years ago, perhaps 40 when I'm sure my folks wouldn't have allowed us to enter.  I'll have to visit the area again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I want to say it cost me $6 per adult and $4 per kid, because I'm pretty sure it was $20 for my family of four.  There was a guy who I believe volunteered there that took us out and all over the entire battery and inside Battery Russel.  He knew all kinds of stuff about the history.  I'd recommend bringing a good flashlight or a good headlamp.  There's power throughout most of it and lights, but there are dark areas.  Seeing where the guns dropped down for reloading and the tunnels for the ram-rods was pretty cool.  

I wish they had some pictures of how it looked inside before some transients set the interior of fire in the 70's.  According to our guide the interior of the whole thing was finished with rooms with wood paneling of oak.  There are rooms inside where you can see the outlines of where desks and chairs burned on the floor and left soot above them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top