Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2014 9:51:22 PM EDT
WTF Oregon? I thought you guys were suppose to be gun friendly compared to CA?

I bought four guns since living here, two of them I had within 15 minutes of paying. I go to pick up two firearms I had shipped from out of state yesterday and after a two hour wait for my name to be checked, I get a message saying that I'm delayed until January 15, 2015.

I don't have any criminal record, good discharge, etc etc.

Do I really have to wait the 45 days, or do they process this shit quicker? The gunstore gave me a number to call, and when I did I just got an answering machine that says spell my name out and they'll get back to me someday.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sit down, shut up and pay your taxes. If you complain we will just put you on the agitator list. Perhaps if you engage in some approved activities such as driving a Prius or supporting a tax hike would increase your chance of getting permission to exercise your God given and constitutionally protected right.

In all seriousness, I have been delayed and it doesn't take the full time to clear it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend got delayed at NWA a couple months ago. It took 3 days. Had a similar name or some such shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Friend got delayed at NWA a couple months ago. It took 3 days. Had a similar name or some such shit.
View Quote

Hmm. I put my social down on the 4473 and my name according to my social is different than my name on my state ID (for some reason my SSN number is associated to my middle name instead of the first name on my birth certificate.) I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The last time I was delayed the gun shop gave me the pistol after three days (The Gun Broker).  I was still showing delayed when I walked out of the store with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I bought four guns since living here, two of them I had within 15 minutes of paying. I go to pick up two firearms I had shipped from out of state yesterday and after a two hour wait for my name to be checked, I get a message saying that I'm delayed until January 15, 2015.

Do I really have to wait the 45 days, or do they process this shit quicker? The gunstore gave me a number to call, and when I did I just got an answering machine that says spell my name out and they'll get back to me someday.
View Quote

My understanding is that if this was a "delay" and not a "denial", the State has three business days to resolve the matter.  If they don't resolve it in that three-day period, you can then have the gun legally transferred to you.  Even though you are still being listed as "delayed".

If anyone knows different, do tell.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My understanding is that if this was a "delay" and not a "denial", the State has three business days to resolve the matter.  If they don't resolve it in that three-day period, you can then have the gun legally transferred to you.  Even though you are still being listed as "delayed".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is accurate, but most dealers won't release the firearm out of fear of liability.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, the store said they won't fuck with the OSP's decision, if its delayed its delayed until OSP says it isn't.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah, the store said they won't fuck with the OSP's decision, if its delayed its delayed until OSP says it isn't.

View Quote

I would demand a refund and take my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a transfer from an out of state dealer, not something off the shelf.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
What store and where did the Jan 15 date come from?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Jan 15 date came from a printout that the FICS website provided, store was legendary arms.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
First of all the SSN is voluntary, I never give it. Second, WTF is with giving you a date that it is delayed until? never heard of that. Normally it is delayed until they can figure it out. How can they say Jan 15?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I got

Sorry for the bad redaction, I'm on an iPad.

Still my form 1s took less time then this delay is projected.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Legendary Arms in Central Point? Small world. I am heading there today.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
One box on the form asks for the applicant to enter their citizenship if other than a USA citizen, or if a citizen of more than one country.  So I complied as I have dual citizenship.  The state police instant check clerk didn't like that and said I have to pick a country.  I said that isn't what the form requires.  She initially wanted to argue the point, until I pointed out that she is instructing me to lie on the federal form, or she wouldn't approve the transfer.  When I pointed that out, and requested her name, DPSST number, and her supervisor's name, she said "never mind, put them both there", and approved the transfer.

It often frightens me how the background paperwork is handled.  I sure don't have much faith in it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This is an example of why I think we need less laws and less gun control. There are those, even in the gun community, who say backgrounds should be required and challenge my with "so you think insane people should be able to buy guns?", this is the problem with even a simple thing like a background, some one fucks it up, or someone is on a Napolian trip and trying to keep people from getting their gun for whatever reason. There is NO reason they could know that it will take untill Jan 15 to clear you. You should get a civil rights attorney.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you get delayed at one place, youll get delayed at the next. Background check fees are not refundable by the state police. The dealer would be "giving you the fee out of there own pocket.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#18]
My last firearm purchase got a delay with a date, it was 5 weeks away!  Never had a problem before and haven't tried since the delay (maybe 2yrs ago?).  Clean record, CHL, and included SSN on the form.

The retailer did not care about the 3 day rule and that OSP hotline is a joke!  I could never get through to anyone for an explanation.  I did complain to the background check department and my anti-gun representatives.

About 5 days before the delay date, I got a call saying I could come pickup the firearm.

I will definitely ask the dealer if they observe the 3 day rule before my next purchase.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah, this is pretty bullshit. Even california wasn't this lame.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will definitely ask the dealer if they observe the 3 day rule before my next purchase.
View Quote

This is a good idea.  I have only been delayed once and the store gave it to me after three days.  Since you pay for the gun before they make the call it may be a PIA to get your money back if it comes back as delayed.  I think I'm going to ask about the stores policy on a delayed background check before they see any of my money.  If enough people did the same I think that more than a few stores may change their policy.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I got the same thing last month,supposed to get it the 24 of Dec.
This is purely political.

O.F.F. Look over the whole site for things to look Forward to next year
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I work at a firearms retailer and it is not uncommon for delays to have over 30 day time frames. As stated earlier the state legally has 3 business days to refer a decision. After that you may take posession of the firearm however it is up to the discretion of the retailer to release it. I have seen delays extended well past the 6 month mark. And no, I have clue what would ever take that long on a background check. Something to bear in mind when picking up a firearm with a delayed disposition though, is even if it is after the 3 business day mark, should the state come back with a denied disposition they do have the right to come and confiscate the weapon in question. And it is up to the retailer to provide a refund, and since the firearm doesn't go back to them they will probably not issue a refund.  I have never seen a delay disposition turn into a denial disposition personally but that's not to say it couldn't. In the state of Oregon all purchaces regardless of who or what the purchaser does has to go through the nics check unless it is a transfer to another ffl dealer, I have sold firearms to many LEO and have even had them placed on delay. It is my understanding for the background check they have to check every zip code the applicant has ever lived in for any criminal record, stateside or abroad. So if you have moved around a lot, lived/served overseas it may result in a delay while they wait on state or foreign agencies to respond if their records are not linked with the nics program.

I hope this may provide some insight to you
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I work at a firearms retailer and it is not uncommon for delays to have over 30 day time frames. As stated earlier the state legally has 3 business days to refer a decision. After that you may take posession of the firearm however it is up to the discretion of the retailer to release it. I have seen delays extended well past the 6 month mark. And no, I have clue what would ever take that long on a background check. Something to bear in mind when picking up a firearm with a delayed disposition though, is even if it is after the 3 business day mark, should the state come back with a denied disposition they do have the right to come and confiscate the weapon in question. And it is up to the retailer to provide a refund, and since the firearm doesn't go back to them they will probably not issue a refund.  I have never seen a delay disposition turn into a denial disposition personally but that's not to say it couldn't. In the state of Oregon all purchaces regardless of who or what the purchaser does has to go through the nics check unless it is a transfer to another ffl dealer, I have sold firearms to many LEO and have even had them placed on delay. It is my understanding for the background check they have to check every zip code the applicant has ever lived in for any criminal record, stateside or abroad. So if you have moved around a lot, lived/served overseas it may result in a delay while they wait on state or foreign agencies to respond if their records are not linked with the nics program.

I hope this may provide some insight to you
View Quote

How would they even know? IIRC they do not ask "list every place you have ever lived" on the form.
I guess I shouldn't complain, I've never been delayed, even when EVERBODY was getting delayed I bought guns and was approved in 30 seconds. The dealer warned me I'll probably get delayed and showed me how he had guns laying on the floor with their respective paperwork behind the counter for all the delayed sales. I just smiled and said, "naw, they know me up in Salem", 30 seconds later his eyes kinda lit up "YOU'RE APPROVED".
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIRTY days. But no shop will release a gun without an approval.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought it used to be 2 days to either say approved or denied?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#26]
yeah, everything I've read says there's a three day limit by the feds on delays.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How would they even know? IIRC they do not ask "list every place you have ever lived" on the form.
I guess I shouldn't complain, I've never been delayed, even when EVERBODY was getting delayed I bought guns and was approved in 30 seconds. The dealer warned me I'll probably get delayed and showed me how he had guns laying on the floor with their respective paperwork behind the counter for all the delayed sales. I just smiled and said, "naw, they know me up in Salem", 30 seconds later his eyes kinda lit up "YOU'RE APPROVED".
View Quote

USPS adress changes, credit reporting agencies, DMV, and of course everyone's favorite the good ol IRS.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked at Oregon law (ORS 166.412 (3)(c)) and it says this:

"If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of this subsection before the close of the gun dealers next business day following the request by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the purchaser."

I'm not sure where you're coming up with thirty days.

I'm sure most shops won't release a gun, even though it appears they can legally do so.  According to the O.F.F. the State Police are falsely telling FFL's they can't do these transfers.  I'm sure that has something to do with it.  FFL's probably don't want to be hassled, even if they're complying with the law.  It was mentioned earlier there may be liability concerns too, although I wonder if that's a legit concern or more of a phantom issue.  Does anyone know if an Oregon FFL has ever released a gun in this manner and later suffered any consequences for it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
nope, law says thirty. BUT OSP can call and delay further.. however long it takes for them to get a decision from FICS.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
nope, law says thirty. BUT OSP can call and delay further.. however long it takes for them to get a decision from FICS.
View Quote

What law?

I just provided the citation directly from Oregon law.  If you know of some different law, let's see it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

FICS, or NICS? Does the OSP have any obligation to show us proof that the feds are the ones delaying it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#32]
When a bgc is delayed the ffl dealer is provided with a date 30 days out from the time of the check being done. I do not believe there is a law regulating that time frame that they give. During Black Friday and Christmas time it is also often that they provide a delay date of 45 days. The delays can be extended as long as they would like, and there is no proof given as to if it is OSP or the Feds delaying the application. I have seen delays resolved within days and some get extended many months.

If a gun is on delay and the dealer choses to release the firearm after the 3 business day hold, the dealer is required to inform the customer that the application is still in delay status meaning OSP has not given a decision of approval or denial. and that should OSP determine the application should be denied that they (OSP) has the right to come and confiscate the weapon in question. At the time of the release the customer is required to sign the 4473 in a separate location stating that the release of the firearm has taken place and that it was on a different date than the date of the application. And the dealer must call OSP to inform them that the transfer has taken place so that it can be noted in the online application for once a determination is given so they know who is in posession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of us had the same experience before being delayed.  The most I've ever had to wait in the past was two hours which I attributed to a multiple buy that day.  The last time I was hit with a delay.  Although the dealer let me have the gun after three business days I was still on the delayed list when I came and got it.

From now on I'm going to ask before buying and if they don't adhere to the three day rule than I'm taking my business to someone that does.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A lot of us had the same experience before being delayed.  The most I've ever had to wait in the past was two hours which I attributed to a multiple buy that day.  The last time I was hit with a delay.  Although the dealer let me have the gun after three business days I was still on the delayed list when I came and got it.

From now on I'm going to ask before buying and if they don't adhere to the three day rule than I'm taking my business to someone that does.
View Quote

Agreed there really is no liability placed upon the dealer for releasing after 3 days other than the remote chance of OSP denying the application and having a upset customer, but that's not really the businesses fault. I as well wouldn't buy from someone if they wouldn't adhere to the rule. Not worth my time money and frustration.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Federal law
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#36]
The good news is, your 4473 is only valid for 30 days. So if it takes OSP longer than that for them to come to a decision, you get to fill out another form for the same transaction. :-/ sorry for the delay. All it means is they have to look into something further, once they get back the info they need they will approve or deny you. Hope you're approved because state police are investigating all denied purchases. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#37]
yeah, I'm going to have to pay another background check fee. OSP can come investigate me all they want, if what I'm reading is correct, the likely cause of the delay is large volume of sales on black friday (went to pick up on Cyber monday) combined with a recent address change from CA, so they couldn't make their minds up if I was OK in their 30 minute time frame they give themselves before imposing this crazy delay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Does Oregon just do a NICS check or something else? I just moved from Texas and there they just do an electronic NICS check and your out the door most of the time. I've been delayed once for about 2 hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Oregon does an online nices. Sometimes with fast, sometimes like in OPs case, it's really slow..
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is what I got

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/0b4d04ef-545e-4dcf-a06b-4c50ac546384_zps4d50d0b6.jpg

Sorry for the bad redaction, I'm on an iPad.

Still my form 1s took less time then this delay is projected.
View Quote

You should have bought the 1911. Looks like you got delayed by JMB himself............... Actually I wasn't even aware of these long delays. I got stuck waiting for about a half hour once while they waited on a call back. Usually they just make some comment like "you must be squeaky clean, approved already."
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I got a call back from Salem today, she said they're waiting on CA DMV to send over some stuff. I got a speeding violation in like 2009 but they need to review the records "to make sure they're not drug related."
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Delayed on a transfer because of a 5 year old speeding ticket? Un. Fucking. Believable.

This thread has been enlightening, to sa the least.

I'm currently working in OR, and I will be moving here early next year. This thread has inspired me to buy the last couple guns that I want before I leave Montana.

I am really going to miss walking into a gun store, plunking down my DL and my CCW, and walking out with my purchase.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Four previous purchases went by no problem. They suspect I got flagged after putting in a mail forward request because it highlighted I came from out of state which meant I might have a record there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I got delayed again to some time in February.....rat basturds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I purchased a lower on Saturday and was cleared in a couple of minutes.  Some folks there at the same time were taking 3 hours.  I've never had an issue.

Sorry for your welcome to Oregun
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#46]
This is ridiculous. 45 days have come and gone and the gun store still says there isn't any update from OSP so they won't release the guns. I moved here to avoid California's bullshit, I got approved for all kinds of Class III shit up here, now I can't pick up an AR and a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Most people..... even gun owners, say "it's common sense to make people do a background check to buy a gun", well well well, this is what you get with your "common sense" gun control: somebody can sit on their ass and just say "golly gee, I don't know...." They know damn good and well. A cop knows in like 2 seconds when he pulls you over and runs your license. What are they useing... 1920s technolagy?
Seriously, if the OP knows without a doubt he has a clean record I'd want to contact a lawyer if I was him. Either you can buy a gun or you can't, just holding you up like this seems like a violation of a persons rights.

Look at places like Hawaii: they have a concealed carry law, but they simply don't fund the CHL office and they will tell you right to your face that you will never get a CHL. The same thing could happen with gun ownership anywhere, they could just say "sure, you can own a gun in Oregon, you just have to pass a background check, but we no longer have the funds to operate the OSP office that does BGs so your BG check will never get done" HAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Sounds to me like Oregon has a little 'delay' action on the books somewhere down the line.

I've had one delay (in Colorado) that lasted one day. I asked the gunstore and they told me "It's a random delay, your name gets picked and you have to wait."
I waited and the next day the LGS called me up on the cell and said "You're approved, come pick it up."
The other times no delay for both long-gun or a pistol.
This delay was for another long-gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Seriously, if the OP knows without a doubt he has a clean record I'd want to contact a lawyer if I was him. Either you can buy a gun or you can't, just holding you up like this seems like a violation of a persons rights.

View Quote

I've bought four guns since moving here without a hitch, as well as been approved four four form 1's and a form 4. Once I put in an official change of address, all of sudden I'm being delayed and told by OSP in salem that they need my records from other states to "make sure I don't have drug related charges."

Not going to get a lawyer, though. I have other guns to play with so I don't want to spend thousands of dollars when I can just wait and grumble on the internet about how the system is even worse than California's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Well not trying to rub this in OP. I picked up a lower I had ordered in Dallas, Orygun this afternoon. Got the usual comment - "Man, that went right through........." Which leads me to believe there are some that don't I guess. I think I was in there all told around 15 min.

I don't know who you can get after about your delays but it sure seems like there should be some recourse with some agency..........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top