Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2014 5:59:06 AM EDT
On Wed. December 3rd there will be a meeting of The Administrative Services Committee of the Corvallis City Council to discuss and possibly take action regarding a ban on open carry in the city. This will be one more city in addition to Beaverton, Astoria, Gladstone, Multnoma Co, Portland, Tigard, Oregon City, and Newport where a citizen that does not posses a CHL will be legally restricted from armed self defense while in public.

Please help defeat this by writing the 3 councilors on the committee. I have no idea if they are friendlies or not, so I kept it cordial.

Heres a link to OFF's notification: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/corvallis-gun-ban-back-agenda
Heres the email address of the 3 city councilors OFF listed:
Brauner- [email protected]
Hirsch- [email protected]
Traber- [email protected]

Heres my contribution for some inspiration, please dont copy paste mine:

Councilor all of them,

It has come to my attention that a meeting is scheduled for December 3rd regarding restricting open carry of firearms in Corvallis. I was not able to attend the earlier public hearing last month and I have a few concerns and comments that I would like to address to the council before a decision is made.

I will start with something I am sure you have all been briefed with, but it bears repeating. The City Council has no authority to restrict open carry more than state law has allowed.

Please refer to ORS 166.170, which states:
"166.170¹
State preemption
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.
(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. "

What state law has allowed according to ORS 166.173 is for a city council to regulate possession of openly carried LOADED firearms by persons without a license for concealed carry.

Please let me explain why this is an unneeded, bad idea for the City of Corvallis.

This proposal is only going to cause headaches for law enforcement and law abiding, good intentioned people. For starters, since it will still be legal to openly carry an unloaded firearm, police will have no legal probable cause to arrest or question ANYONE openly carrying. Furthermore, it will still be legal to openly carry a loaded handgun for anyone with a concealed handgun license (and a few other people specified in ORS 166.173) and a police officer would have no reasonable suspicion that they didn't have a license.  

This proposal is not only un enforceable, but is also unnecessary. It is a non-solution to a non-existent problem. Corvallis does not have a problem with open carry of firearms. I have never heard of an incident of problems arising in this town from open carry And I would challenge anyone to come up with proof of one and to explain it's impact on the city.  

Again, It is an unenforceable solution to a non-issue. A governing body has no place to put restrictions on law abiding individuals without tangible benefits to the rest of the citizenry.

I could stop this letter here, because that's really all there is to it, but you may wish to know some pertinent information about my personal experience with "the gun culture".

A visible gun in a holster is no more dangerous than the one I carry, and will continue to carry, in a holster under my shirt everyday. I grew up and spent most of my life in Arizona, where open carry, and recently unlicensed concealed carry, is legal statewide. It was not uncommon to see someone with an openly carried gun. Nothing ever came of it, most of the time, no one even noticed. You hear people talk about someone from out of state asking about it, but I had honestly never seen anyone aware enough of their surroundings to even notice. No one was hurt, scarred, or offended. And why would they be? Its a self defense tool, nothing more, nothing less.

me
my town near Corvallis, Oregon

Update, Victory, sort of. Sounds like they are passing the buck
from the gazette times:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/committee-takes-new-course-of-open-carry/article_cc0c65d7-988a-5eff-bdb8-f4012ecb35fa.htmlThe Corvallis Administrative Services Committee on Wednesday rejected a possible ordinance on the issue and also turned down sending the question to the voters.

Instead, committee members Biff Traber (Ward 8) and Hal Brauner (Ward 9) forwarded two similar recommendations that the full City Council will consider Dec. 15.

The two councilors (the third committee member, Joel Hirsch of Ward 6, was absent) want the council to consider either a resolution or a codified council policy that would emphasize community safety and constitutional rights.

Also among the options the committee considered were doing nothing or encouraging an “open market” approach in which businesses could identify themselves as either favoring or not favoring open carrying of firearms in their stores.

“An ordinance doesn’t accomplish anything,” Traber said, “but there is a desire in Corvallis not to see guns open carried. How do we express that as a city value?”

“I sympathize with folks concerned about gun violence and I sympathize with those who legally and responsibly carry their weapons,” Brauner said. “The council already has a policy on community safety. Adding to that would work well. And we also could do that in a resolution.”

The councilors’ recommendation concluded a one-hour session that included 13 individuals speaking during visitor time. Ten individuals opposed restrictions on open carry, continuing a pattern of opposition that was present in three previous public sessions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:24:21 AM EDT
[#1]

I just sent all three an e-mail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Sincerely.
Heres a link to cross post in GD.
stir up some traffic before the meeting at 3:30

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1692439_Can_ARF_help_me_out_with_a_small_firemission_to_help_keep_open_carry_legal_in_my_hometown_.html
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Bumping to hear what happened?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
update in OP
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
update in OP
View Quote

Good thing I wrote. You guys were in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The article I linked says 10 people opposed to the ordinance showed up, and no mention of anti gunners.
Good. I reall, really couldnt take the time off work this week. Had to take 2 days off last week, and Im just stretched too thin right now.
I did what I could, and apparently so did others. Little victories add up. Beers all around at Block 15, my treat, as soon as I get some money back into my account.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Solid work! Nice read.

I bet some libs are kicking rocks and swearing like heartbroken sailors of that one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top