Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2014 6:59:04 PM EDT
I have been in marketing and sales/management for the last 20 years. I want to get out from behind this desk and computer to do something physical.

I'm about to leave a job in California and come back up to Portland area to look for work. I'm thinking that I would like to make a career change as well.

What trades are in demand up there? Recommend a trade school or way to get certified in specific trades?

Anybody hiring hard working intelligent folks in the tigard/portland area that will train the right candidate in house?

Anybody need marketing help? Website design, graphic design, sales, online marketing, social media, print design anything?

For the last year I have been Director of Marketing at an Aviation business but every chance I get I go outside to help dismantle Gulfstream II,III to sell parts. The physical labor felt good.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a post about welders needed where I'm at but in general, welders are in demand nation wide.
Most of our local Jr. colleges (Clackamas, Portland, Chemeketa, etc) have programs.

Coffee brewers...Starbucks
Plumbers - people have not learned how to stop crapping
Electrician - endless opportunities but competitive field

Take a look at the want ads and craigslist for folks hiring.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at becoming a police officer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_36/569549_Oregon_has_beaten_the_joyful_spirit_out_of_me___.html
Don't come here. See above thread.
I just got laid off my self. I was damn lucky to find another job already, but it is a POS PT minimum wage job. I moved here from California also. Lately I've been reflecting on the past and thinking I've made some horrible decisions. When I lived in California only kids or retards worked at Wal mart, you come up here and most wal mart employees are lifers who've been there for 20~ years. Wal Mart is called a "good carrer" in oregon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What trades are in demand up there? Recommend a trade school or way to get certified in specific trades?

View Quote

I've gone to some places up here that help put people to work...... most say go to truck driving school...... why bother moving to Oregon? Just put your shit in storage, you're going to be on the road 30 days at a time. BTDT.

Quoted:
I want to get out from behind this desk and computer to do something physical.

View Quote

Truck crew @ Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
My best friend telecommutes for a company that does web design in San Diego.  They are usually hiring marketers and sales reps.  They need developers even more.  Their lead developer is in jail right now (my friend) until Black Friday.  

What part of Cali are you in?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
IBEW local 48 has a good apprenticeship program. It can be a little tough to get in, you have to be good at math. Intel just slowed down with their big construction project so things are a little slow right now, but it will pick up.

The trick is to get a job as a material handler with one of the bigger shops while you apply to the program. This will help you in the interview process.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
There is always Machine manufacturing.  But jobs around here are $16/hr to start for folks with little to no work experience.   I think you can get through the programs at PCC or CCC pretty quick.  But if you work in a cnc shop you are a glorified button pusher a lot of times.  I find that the fun is in running your own shop.  Thats what I did.  I/we machine parts and sell direct to endusers as well as dealers.  I find a great deal of satisfaction in taking something from an idea all the way through to a finished product.  Its challenging as heck and super time consuming but in the end I love making stuff that works and helps others out. But it sure as crap ain't easy.  Fabrication is also a cool field to work in.  Lots of hands on stuff and really cool at the end of the day to be able to take raw materials and bend, cut, weld, and machined them in to something.  Its a varied skill set that can do a lot for you.  Welding is another place where there is heavy demand.  This country needs welders, always.  Programs are pretty easy to get into and you can usually find work right away.  It is far from clean or glamorous but at the very least its a good skill to have in your arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck being a cop, be a firefighter.  

Less dangerous, still physical and out in the weather (all kinds of weather).

Lots of time off, so you can do something else like start a business or build something or.....

Killer unions with unbelievable benefits (I should know)....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lots of time off, so you can do something else like start a business or build something or.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but fire jobs are a lot harder to come by.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: Wal Mart is called a "good career" in oregon.
View Quote

No. No it isn't.

I have a degree in elementary education, but I'm an electrician now and do not regret the career change at all. Any job in the construction industry will have slow times, but I've worked steadily for the last 6 + years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
who are you working for now?

Quoted:

No. No it isn't.

I have a degree in elementary education, but I'm an electrician now and do not regret the career change at all. Any job in the construction industry will have slow times, but I've worked steadily for the last 6 + years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Wal Mart is called a "good career" in oregon.

No. No it isn't.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Where did the OP go?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top