Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 4:43:29 PM EDT
Planning on headed towards the middle Santiam wilderness area myself.  Found a couple mountain meadows with good sign, looks like it will be beautiful weekend.

Anyone else heading out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be sitting this weekend out. The guy I usually go with did not get his sh^^ locked down and got wrangled in to honey do's this weekend. I really need to get into the mindset of just hunting alone and go for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes!!!!!!!
The daughters just announced they've "always" wanted to go hunting. Taking one every other week.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Newly returned to the area. Grew up in Beaverton, moved to Reno after getting married. Back after many years to take care of parents.

Got into hunting in Nevada, took a couple deer- love it. Would love to get into it again here, but don't know anyone or where to go, or how the rules differ from NV. Would love some help when the time's right. I just wrote this season off since we were/are so busy getting out lives reestablished up here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me know if you want to go.  I'm an Oregon hunting noob but going with someone is more fun and safer than going it alone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll be going next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately I couldn't make it out opening weekend. Getting packed up to hunt and camp Friday, Saturday, and Sunday though!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't deer hunt but hunted for a hunter.  Medical issue.  All came out ok along with the deer we carried out for him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy got a 3x2, a couple hours after sunrise. Took almost three hours to drag it out.
Most fat I've ever seen on a deer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
We just got back from the desolation unit. 4 person hunting party and we got three. Brother took his first with a SCAR-H.  Unfortunately my suppressed 300 blackout did not get it's cherry popped.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell folks that you already got your 6 deer last summer.  Then watch their eyes dart back and forth as they try and figure out who is going to write up the report for the fish and game people.   Wait until they make their decision, then let them know you were only kidding.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Damn!! Didn't think a subsonic would do so much damage!  I was loaded with Barnes Vor-TX 110gr's, figured they'd do pretty well out to at least 150, which woulda been a stretch given how thick the area we were hunting was.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Damn!! Didn't think a subsonic would do so much damage!  I was loaded with Barnes Vor-TX 110gr's, figured they'd do pretty well out to at least 150, which woulda been a stretch given how thick the area we were hunting was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah I didn't think so either. Id be fine out to 300 with the 110 as long as shot placement was there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell folks that you already got your 6 deer last summer.  Then watch their eyes dart back and forth as they try and figure out who is going to write up the report for the fish and game people.   Wait until they make their decision, then let them know you were only kidding.
View Quote

They would shit their pants if they knew how many crop damage permits grandpa gets back east. for deer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw a fairly big 4 point today. Chased him around for a couple hours but never could get a shot on him
Hopefully I can get him tomorrow morning
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
OK guys,

I went on a out county search for a missing hunter Friday night ( still missing) and another missing one this morning (found)..

Please, please:

Don't wear jeans.
Take a GPS and mark where your car is.
Take the ten essentials.
And especially don't drink a couple of 5 hour energy drinks along with some vodca for breakfast and expect someone to find you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:19:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK guys,

I went on a out county search for a missing hunter Friday night ( still missing) and another missing one this morning (found)..

Please, please:

Don't wear jeans.
Take a GPS and mark where your car is.
Take the ten essentials.
And especially don't drink a couple of 5 hour energy drinks along with some vodca for breakfast and expect someone to find you.
View Quote

I'm an OR hunting noob but I won't leave the trail w/o a couple bottles of water, rain gear, GPS with extra batteries (made that mistake only once), compass, extra socks, thermals, flashlight, fire starting equipment, and some dehydrated food.  probably a little overkill and a little extra weight but worth the piece of mind.

Also I leave my approximate location on google maps up on my browser so if I don't come home my wife knows where to send people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top