Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2014 8:29:40 PM EDT
Hey gang. I'm a Washingtonian (live in Vancouver) but a few weeks ago I took a trip to Joseph and rode the Wallowa Lake Tram / hiked around Mt. Howard with my wife on vacation. Here I am near the summit:

Like all good tourists, I bought a T-shirt at the tram restaurant. I get home...try it on...and it's WAY to small. It says "XL", and it's more like a medium. Epic fail. The place doesn't sell their shirts on line...so no chance of ordering one. My wife never wants to ride the tram again, so I doubt I'll ever go there again in my life. Bummer. Anyone out that way willing to buy/ship a shirt to me if I send them some $$$$$?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some family out that way, I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
that's what happens when you don't feed the chipmunks and ground squirrels on Mt. Howard.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some family out that way, I'll see what I can do.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks man!

As far as the critters go... man. I've never seen so many furry little creatures scurrying around on one hill! They were everywhere. That are might not be bad for shtf. If you had a 22, you'd always have meat!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I are going to Joseph/Wallowa Lake next weekend. What can you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I only went to the tram / Mt. Howard. We drove through Joseph and it looks very very cool for shopoholics, but we were actually camping 100+ miles away so it was a drive-there/drive-back kind of thing.

I can recommend the tram though. Decent restaurant at the top, awesome views, and a bajillion little furry critters running around begging for food in the cutest possible ways.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been over ten years, but I thought the view from Hat Point was worth the trip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes,  Hat point is worth a drive.  I've been there once around ten years ago.  My Dad left his car near Joeseph and hitchhiked there in the mid '50ies, before the road was driveable for non 4x4, getting a ride from someone in a jeep.  Real nice view.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time I was up at Hat Point it was the very late '70's.  It was one hell of a ride in the back of the pickup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife and I are going to Joseph/Wallowa Lake next weekend. What can you recommend?
View Quote

On the way you can stop at the Lostine Tavern for something to eat.  Pretty cool place.

In Enterprise there is the brewery Terminal Gravity

The kokanee should be spawning so make sure you stop along the bridge going into the state park campground to see the bright red fish

If you hike, you should take a trip up to the Eagle Cap.  If you don't hike, you can ride a horse up there.  You'll see the stables on the left as you pass through the southern part of town (past the lake).

Ride the go-karts in the evening.  Complain to them the track runs backwards (it's clockwise vs. counter like a race track should be)  When the say no bumping into each other tell them you rubbing and rubbing is racing.

Go up the tram to Mt. Howard and have a burger and beer at the restaurant up there.  Bring sunflower seeds for the critters.

There's a museum in Joesph that is kind of cool to walk through... if you're into old 1900's Americana.

Stop at Old Cheif Joseph's grave and pay your respects.  You can lay a penny or some beads on his tombstone.  It's on the right as you go up the hill towards the lake.

If you fish you can stop at the fly shop and listen to the owner brag about all his fishing adventures.... none of which are on the lake or local rivers.    Connected to the fly shop is his wife's central american trinket shop.  I think she's from Salvador or somehwere thereabouts.  Ask about fishing down there and hang on.

For a laugh, ride the shuttle bus that runs from the state park to Joseph and Enterprise.  Get the driver talking a bit and you'll notice he will agree with nothing you say, always having a different or slightly different opinion... even on the time of day!!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

On the way you can stop at the Lostine Tavern for something to eat.  Pretty cool place.

Stopped by on Saturday for a few growlers but they weren't open yet. I had several of their beers at other restaurants. Had teir IPA, porter and ESG. good stuff. We also stopped at Stein Distillery for a tour.

The kokanee should be spawning so make sure you stop along the bridge going into the state park campground to see the bright red fish
They weren't running, there were just some small (4"-6") fish in the pools.

If you hike, you should take a trip up to the Eagle Cap.  If you don't hike, you can ride a horse up there.  You'll see the stables on the left as you pass through the southern part of town (past the lake).

Ride the go-karts in the evening.  Complain to them the track runs backwards (it's clockwise vs. counter like a race track should be)  When the say no bumping into each other tell them you rubbing and rubbing is racing.

Go up the tram to Mt. Howard and have a burger and beer at the restaurant up there.  Bring sunflower seeds for the critters.
Took the tram; worth every cent! Killer views from Mt. Howard. The food at the restaurant was very good.

There's a museum in Joesph that is kind of cool to walk through... if you're into old 1900's Americana.

Stop at Old Cheif Joseph's grave and pay your respects.  You can lay a penny or some beads on his tombstone.  It's on the right as you go up the hill towards the lake.
Did this. Nice grave site.

If you fish you can stop at the fly shop and listen to the owner brag about all his fishing adventures.... none of which are on the lake or local rivers.    Connected to the fly shop is his wife's central american trinket shop.  I think she's from Salvador or somehwere thereabouts.  Ask about fishing down there and hang on.

For a laugh, ride the shuttle bus that runs from the state park to Joseph and Enterprise.  Get the driver talking a bit and you'll notice he will agree with nothing you say, always having a different or slightly different opinion... even on the time of day!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stopped by on Saturday for a few growlers but they weren't open yet. I had several of their beers at other restaurants. Had teir IPA, porter and ESG. good stuff. We also stopped at Stein Distillery for a tour.

They weren't running, there were just some small (4"-6") fish in the pools.

Took the tram; worth every cent! Killer views from Mt. Howard. The food at the restaurant was very good.

Did this. Nice grave site.

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, so much for the whole point of the thread!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My uncle will pick one up next time he gets out that way.  It might be a little while as he does not get out there very often.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, so much for the whole point of the thread!
View Quote

Didn't ErikOR get you one?  He just got back.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Mum: I dunno, did he?

M60: you da man dood!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top