Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 1:47:04 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I'm moving from the peoples republic of Illinois to Portland. It looks like Oregon is pretty gun-friendly, but how is everyones' experience about gun culture/politics in portland? I intend to carry every day.

Thanks,
--Varun
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure you register to vote and keep it that way. Washington county is quite a bit better than Multnomah. Welcome!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah just waiting for the negativity to spew from some about Portland.   I have lived here my whole life many gun owners in Portland.   Just a few shit politicians which everyone has.   Join a range and carry and enjoy shooting and guns like we all do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Lived west of Portland for about 9 months now.  Lots of good things to say.  Tons of hunting and fishing opportunities.  Gun laws seem okay.  The whole finger print thing for the gun background check seems over the top but past that it is like every other state.

Lots of strange folks but everyone seems to keep to them self.  Very live and let live group of folks around here.  

Tons of craft brews out here.    

I will say the gun stores out here are very disappointing compared to anything back east but the no sales tax thing is awesome.

Housing and vehicles are stupid expensive, so be ready for that.  Other than that consumer goods are cheaper than most places I have lived.

Lot's of good places to shoot.  Huge national forests and state forest that you can go target shooting on.  Just make sure you have the required equipment come fire season.

I'm not much of a social animal but have heard good things about Portland's night life.

The only thing I would do differently is get housing somewhere southeast of Portland and northeast of Salem but that is only because it is closer to better hunting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really happy to hear these responses! Don't worry, I will definitely be voting - for pro-gun representatives!

Any recommended outdoor ranges in the area? The range I'm part of right now is kind of special in that there's usually no one out there, so I can set up any kind of drill(shooting while moving, shooting from behind cover, etc). I'm not expecting anything like that, but I'm definitely looking to join a nice outdoor range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I go to Brown's camp, which is a public range/rock quarry during the middle of the weak and there is rarely anyone there.  On the weekend it gets packed.  You can drive up the mountain a piece and there is a clearcut with a good backstop you can get out to 500 yardsish.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Douglas ridge is where i shoot 30 min from portland long range days up to 1000yards.  They have it all there.   Douglas Ridge
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
500 yds? 1000 yds? This all seems too good to be true! The longest range that I know of in illinois is 600 yds, and you only get access to that if you're a voting member of a super exclusive(15 yr+ waiting period) club. I might finally be able to justify a long range precision rifle now! Excited.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, 100/200 yard rifle range, dynamic range 150 yards can run pistol/rifle shotgun slugs, tac shotgun bay, sillouette range, archery range indoor pistol range 50'.  Long range days are on thursdays 300/600 and 800/1000 yards.  We also have uspsa first saturday of every month.  And a multitude of classes are held there of all kinds.  Douglas Ridge is a private range, but there is no waiting list we are still accepting members.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Oregon has great gun laws for being a libtard state. Shall issue, preemption, etc. I'd live outside of city limits and Multnomah County if at all possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Portland, politics aside is a good place to live. If you intend to buy a house, I'd recommend Washington, or Clackamas Counties, as they have lower property taxes. For Shooting ranges, there's Tri-County Gun Club, and Douglas Ridge. They are members only and there's probably a waiting list. There is also Clark RIfles in Brush Prairie, WA, although they are a private club they do allow the public to shoot rifles on Sundays for a $20 range fee. There are a couple of indoor pistol ranges, A Place to Shoot, Beavercreek Armory, and the Clackamas PTSC, but they require you buy their ammo = expensive. Then there's the public lands like Brown's Camp etal where you can just set up and shoot.

So you have a lot of options in a state whose gun laws are infinitely better that Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
500 yds? 1000 yds? This all seems too good to be true! The longest range that I know of in illinois is 600 yds, and you only get access to that if you're a voting member of a super exclusive(15 yr+ waiting period) club. I might finally be able to justify a long range precision rifle now! Excited.
View Quote

If you know where to look there are places in the coast range and cascades where you can shoot 700-1k+.  Even more if you go to the dry side of the state (look at google maps and it really becomes apparent which side is which ).  I have found a few places out west of portland where this can happen.  But during hunting season(s) I wouldn't really recommend it as its on public land and the last thing you want to do it accidentally take a shot and find someone hiding down range.  That being said there are places to shoot, or you can try to join said clubs.

And I would second not living in Portland proper or Multnomah county.  Taxes suck there.  Wash Co is good and so is Clackamas Co.  You could also live across the river in Vansterdam but there are only 2 bridges across the river and commuting that way can really suck at times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top