Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 1:09:26 PM EDT

Previous Thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1659204_.html&page=1&anc=49003735#i49003735

More details: starting a new career in Tualatin, I hope to be there for a long time and my wife and I are planning on buying a home.  Probalby going to be going down this weekend to look at homes, we are a decent sized family, 3 sons 1 daughter, so looking to stretch our legs but want to be in a safe part of town.  Was wondering if any of you find gentlemen in the OR area would be able to tell me what you thought about West Salem, McMinnville, Lafayette, etc areas outside of Portland itself

Where are the most conservative places to live?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Previous Thread:

More details: starting a new career in Tualatin, I hope to be there for a long time and my wife and I are planning on buying a home.  Probalby going to be going down this weekend to look at homes, we are a decent sized family, 3 sons 1 daughter, so looking to stretch our legs but want to be in a safe part of town.  Was wondering if any of you find gentlemen in the OR area would be able to tell me what you thought about West Salem, McMinnville, Lafayette, etc areas outside of Portland itself

View Quote

aviod salem unless you want them to grow up to be dealers, same with lafayette. there are some nice areas around portland, it just depends how far you want to drive to work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

aviod salem unless you want them to grow up to be dealers, same with lafayette. there are some nice areas around portland, it just depends how far you want to drive to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous Thread:

Willing to bite off on an hour to hour and half commute
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I really love Sherwood.  It's got a small-town vibe, and is remarkably ghetto-free.  I would avoid Salem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really love Sherwood.  It's got a small-town vibe, and is remarkably ghetto-free.  I would avoid Salem.
View Quote

I'd second Sherwood. We are on Bull Mt but really liked Sherwood.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have friends in Sherwood and they love it. I'm in a newer section of Oregon City, which I love. Fairly conservative and a great small town feel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous Thread:

WFT are you talking about?  Car dealers?  

As far as West Salem goes, there's not any area there that you can't walk through at night and feel safe with the exception of about a four block radius down on the shitty flat, and even that is not as bad as it seems.  Other than that, it's turning into huge suburban sprawl.  A metric shit-ton of huge houses were built in this area between 2002 and 2008 up until everything went to shit.  The homes in the area built after 2008 seem to be better built, mostly because the market shrunk and guys who were throwing houses together like it was a race left and guys with real skills still found work.  The more recent homes are not as large, nor do they seem to have the same level of finish items because no one wanted to use a ton of money building houses on spec anymore, but they do seem to be well-built.  If you're looking for something with some acreage, well, the West Salem area does not have as much as other areas in Salem.  Also, if you're working in Salem, the traffic along Wallace Rd and over the bridge over the Willamette sucks ass from about 7:45 to 9:15, and again in the afternoon from about 4:30 to 5:45 or 6:00, but it's nothing like Portland. Also, the direction you're travelling makes a huge difference.  If you're heading out of downtown into West Salem in the morning you'll fell like you have the whole bridge to yourself while people on the east-bound side are all getting bitchy.  

As far as conservative, Salem's a mixed bag.  West Salem is going to have a few more people who say they're liberal probably, just because the housewives driving around in high-end cars that their husbands bought them don't want to seem out of touch with the plight of the common man.  My experience shows that there are just about as many people in West Salem who will say that 0bama sucks and have guns in their house as anywhere else in Salem.  People from Portland like to bitch about liberals down in Salem, mostly in regard to the state capitol.  They forget that most of the liberals in office were sent here from the Portland area, though.  

I haven't spent a lot of time in McMinnville since the early '90s when my wife was going to college there.  There are a few members on here who live in that area who will hopefully chime in.  

If you're seriously looking for a house in the Salem area, PM me, I can give you a couple of real estate agent references who aren't total fucking scumbags.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Not much in sherwood right now fellas at least not on Zillow but I will keep it in mind it certainly is closer and we will look hard at it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I would try RMLS for home searches. You might try looking at Clackamas county; Oregon city, West Linn, Gladstone, all are not far from Tualatin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Tri-County Gun Club is in Sherwood so don't buy too far away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would try RMLS for home searches. You might try looking at Clackamas county; Oregon city, West Linn, Gladstone, all are not far from Tualatin.
View Quote

This is a pretty nice real estate search engine:  http://www.johnlscott.com/
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Why not buy in Tualatin so the drive time is short?

Commuting from Sherwood or Oregon City can be a nightmare during rush hours. Even the lunch hour traffic can turn Tualatin-Sherwood road to the I-5 entrance into 30 minute parkinglot. Tualatin to Oregon City via 205 after 5pm is often enough a parkinglot armageddon. Avoid low ground in Tualatin as it goes underwater every few decades.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
you could do hillsboro.  I can get from Hillsboro to Tualatin in 30min using backroads.  But there are some pretty nice areas to live in and around Tualatin.  The bonus is that you are pretty close to Hwy 99 (not sure if that is a pro or con), I5 and 217.  So getting around isn't bad at all. I suppose it really depends on what size of house, how old, where (urban vs suburban vs rural), and how much you want to pay.  Those are all pretty big factors.  You could go for the S side of Oregon City or between there and Canby.  Those are pretty good places to be.  Traffic on 205 can suck at times, but if you know where and when you can usually run the backroads to avoid the issues.  Another plus to living in Tualatin is close proximity to Tri-county Gun Club and you also wouldn't be too terrible far from Douglas Ridge.  Both are good ranges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why not buy in Tualatin so the drive time is short?

Commuting from Sherwood or Oregon City can be a nightmare during rush hours. Even the lunch hour traffic can turn Tualatin-Sherwood road to the I-5 entrance into 30 minute parkinglot. Tualatin to Oregon City via 205 after 5pm is often enough a parkinglot armageddon. Avoid low ground in Tualatin as it goes underwater every few decades.
View Quote

Anyone who drives Tualatin-Sherwood Road at all, at any time is asking for trouble. Same thing with I-205 during rush hour. There are plenty of backroad type routes that are lightly traveled. It's been my experience that living on the west side is a lot more prone to commute headaches because the arterials in and out of the west side are clogged up at almost all hours.

Regarding the idea of actually living in SW Portland. I'm not a true "hater," and I will admit a lot of the tree-hugging, granola-crunching lefties are friendly, but only as long as you fit within their idea of acceptable. A fair number of them are over-the-top and have very little tolerance for those who think outside their ideals.....kind of like us I guess. Taxes are more in Portland, property values are more in Portland and the Marxist/Communist/Democrat ideologues control policy there, so forget about it ever changing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for input guys, I am leaning more and more away from Salem --When the chorus chimes I listen--

Looking for places in Sherwood, Beaverton

I'll be working Swing if that matters, shift starts at 4:00 PM and get off 2:30AM
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for input guys, I am leaning more and more away from Salem --When the chorus chimes I listen--

Looking for places in Sherwood, Beaverton

I'll be working Swing if that matters, shift starts at 4:00 PM and get off 2:30AM
View Quote

If you're working swing and plan on keeping that shift you have many options. Tigard is great. Feel free to im me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Whats the hives thoughts on Hillsboro?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you could do hillsboro.  I can get from Hillsboro to Tualatin in 30min using backroads.  But there are some pretty nice areas to live in and around Tualatin.  The bonus is that you are pretty close to Hwy 99 (not sure if that is a pro or con), I5 and 217.  So getting around isn't bad at all. I suppose it really depends on what size of house, how old, where (urban vs suburban vs rural), and how much you want to pay.  Those are all pretty big factors.  You could go for the S side of Oregon City or between there and Canby.  Those are pretty good places to be.  Traffic on 205 can suck at times, but if you know where and when you can usually run the backroads to avoid the issues.  Another plus to living in Tualatin is close proximity to Tri-county Gun Club and you also wouldn't be too terrible far from Douglas Ridge.  Both are good ranges.
View Quote

Might have found a place in Hillsboro thanks my wife wants us to stay close I have a 40 minute commute right now-I like it, I enjoy audio books and lets me chill and change from Army man to Dad and reverse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Might have found a place in Hillsboro thanks my wife wants us to stay close I have a 40 minute commute right now-I like it, I enjoy audio books and lets me chill and change from Army man to Dad and reverse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as long as you are fluent in spanish, you should be fine
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Hillsboro? Interesting choice but you must like to drive way more than I do. I live in Hillsboro and there is nothing wrong with the town but other towns would be about equal and closer. I used to work swing in Beaverton and would see traffic on Sunset Hwy progressively get more congested during the afternoon drive to work. When the company decided to build a new plant, Tualatin was considered and myself plus 3 others said we would not do the drive to there. Several factors made them choose to build in Hillsboro which was great for me. Now, I myself, just don't like to drive. Others seem okay with it and maybe are used to it. If I were relocating to a new area and had a job that was to be long-term, would want to live as close as possible. So, mind me asking why you picked Hillsboro?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hillsboro? Interesting choice but you must like to drive way more than I do. I live in Hillsboro and there is nothing wrong with the town but other towns would be about equal and closer. I used to work swing in Beaverton and would see traffic on Sunset Hwy progressively get more congested during the afternoon drive to work. When the company decided to build a new plant, Tualatin was considered and myself plus 3 others said we would not do the drive to there. Several factors made them choose to build in Hillsboro which was great for me. Now, I myself, just don't like to drive. Others seem okay with it and maybe are used to it. If I were relocating to a new area and had a job that was to be long-term, would want to live as close as possible. So, mind me asking why you picked Hillsboro?
View Quote

I have a family of 6, looking for a big home and paying no more than 2k a month seems to be a bit of a challenge.  I could buy a home but we really want to live there a year and feel the place out, and make sure things work out with this gig before I put down roots.  Found a 3000sf home that is 26 minutes from Tualatin, all the Beaverton places we found got rented before I could get to them.  

There is a place in Tigard I am going to look at but its 2000sf --yes my family could do anything for a year so we might do that but it costs MORE than the bigger home.

And actually my wife is fluent in spanish-not hispanic served a spanish speaking mission
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a family of 6, looking for a big home and paying no more than 2k a month seems to be a bit of a challenge.  I could buy a home but we really want to live there a year and feel the place out, and make sure things work out with this gig before I put down roots.  Found a 3000sf home that is 26 minutes from Tualatin, all the Beaverton places we found got rented before I could get to them.  

There is a place in Tigard I am going to look at but its 2000sf --yes my family could do anything for a year so we might do that but it costs MORE than the bigger home.

And actually my wife is fluent in spanish-not hispanic served a spanish speaking mission
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, depending on which church you go to, you could always come live in my hood in Cornelius (aka hillsboro adjacent).  We call it Provito
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, fair enough. Was just curious. Didn't know housing was that tight. Or that renting a house cost so much. I bought my house in 85 and don't really keep track of the house market plus most people that work for me rent apartments.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, depending on which church you go to, you could always come live in my hood in Cornelius (aka hillsboro adjacent).  We call it Provito
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are LDS--

The home in hillsboro is 26 minutes from temple 7minutes from two chapels and within 30 minutes of 15 chapels  Is Hillsboro really that bad?  

Also have a good lead on a home in Tigard
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We are LDS--

The home in hillsboro is 26 minutes from temple 7minutes from two chapels and within 30 minutes of 15 chapels  Is Hillsboro really that bad?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are LDS--

Certain parts of Hillsboro suck.  Other parts are pretty good.  Kind of like Cornelius.  Most of corntown sucks,  but the hood I live in is pretty good.  Just depends on where you are at, just like Amy other town.  And don't listen to the tailer of the cock.  Portland and MultCo sucks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quit trying to seduce the new guy Sortagay.
View Quote

I would but I have already learned that long distance relationships don't work with me  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Nah, Hillsboro is fine, but yes, like any city there are areas you may wish to avoid. Even those are okay in reality. Good police force and they keep things in check. A few car clouts and tagging in the crappy parts is the worse you will see. You will be fine here. Good schools and lots to keep your kids occupied. My parents moved us here from Colorado in 1968 and I could never see a reason to move somewhere else. Good central location for recreation and jobs. If you want, let me know the street the house you are looking at is located and can give you a assessment. And welcome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nah, Hillsboro is fine, but yes, like any city there are areas you may wish to avoid. Even those are okay in reality. Good police force and they keep things in check. A few car clouts and tagging in the crappy parts is the worse you will see. You will be fine here. Good schools and lots to keep your kids occupied. My parents moved us here from Colorado in 1968 and I could never see a reason to move somewhere else. Good central location for recreation and jobs. If you want, let me know the street the house you are looking at is located and can give you a assessment. And welcome.
View Quote

Sweet, Thanks man --we are looking on Oakhurst in Hillsboro

126th in Tigard

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#32]
--we are looking on Oakhurst in Hillsboro

You're good. Newer area that is close to my mom's place. Witch Hazel Elementary is a newer school and the older ones would go to Hilhi I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're good. Newer area that is close to my mom's place. Witch Hazel Elementary is a newer school and the older ones would go to Hilhi I'm guessing.
View Quote

Walked through it today, its huge and seems liked a good neighborhood.  29 minutes to work on a commute that never hit a free way or hightway....

I think we have a winner
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Walked through it today, its huge and seems liked a good neighborhood.  29 minutes to work on a commute that never hit a free way or hightway....

I think we have a winner
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we have a winner

nice.  Let me know if you need help unloading.  I am about 10-15min west of you.  But I bet the EQ out there can get you covered.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

nice.  Let me know if you need help unloading.  I am about 10-15min west of you.  But I bet the EQ out there can get you covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we have a winner

Yeeaah would hope so...I called the Bishop and EQ neither called me back.  I'm going to go ahead and plan on doing this on my own and say that they are just busy.   Fortunately its close enough to JBLM that some friends of mine are willing to comedown to portland to help me out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeeaah would hope so...I called the Bishop and EQ neither called me back.  I'm going to go ahead and plan on doing this on my own and say that they are just busy.   Fortunately its close enough to JBLM that some friends of mine are willing to comedown to portland to help me out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we have a winner

Let me know if you need help.  Worst case I can round up a few from our EQ.  Half of our ward lives with in spitting distance of our house.  Plus I am my own boss and work from home so I am some what flexible in the scheduling dept.  The joys of self-unemployment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't pull the trigger just yet.  This place just became available.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/roo/4650465092.html

ETA: Keep Portland weird or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Let me know if you need help.  Worst case I can round up a few from our EQ.  Half of our ward lives with in spitting distance of our house.  Plus I am my own boss and work from home so I am some what flexible in the scheduling dept.  The joys of self-unemployment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we have a winner

I might take you up on that and I really appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't pull the trigger just yet.  This place just became available.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/roo/4650465092.html

ETA: Keep Portland weird or whatever.
View Quote

Too bad flagged for removal before I saw it....i'm sure it was.....interesting
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I might take you up on that and I really appreciate the help.
View Quote

Helping is what I do, most of the time.  The rest is spent yelling and sleeping.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]
There's three ways to Tualatin from Tigard:  HWY 99, Upper Boone's Ferry Bridge and I-5 Bridge.  All have potential to be packed 3-7 PM.  If I-5 is packed, so is Upper Boone's Ferry and is often a worse choice as it takes way longer to clear out.  Once Cabela's opens up in Tualatin, it will be more so.

I would look at either Tualatin or north Wilsonville.

Here's on in a good neighborhood in the heart of Tualatin:  http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10265-SW-Wasco-Way-Tualatin-OR-97062/48557990_zpid/

I guess if I had the choice I would want to be close enough to walk to work.  It just saves so much time and money.

ETA:  Here's one in Wilsonville.... 10 minutes from Tualatin https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/apa/4652273379.html
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#42]
if you need help unloading, i may be able to help, depending on my work schedule
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Thanks for the offers to help unload fellas, I have gotten in contact with our local church and they are going to have a team of men standing by for our arrival.

Next most important question:   Best nearby ranges?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks for the offers to help unload fellas, I have gotten in contact with our local church and they are going to have a team of men standing by for our arrival.

Next most important question:   Best nearby ranges?  

View Quote

There's tri-county gun club, and Chehalem Valley Sportsmans Club and the Hillsboro Gun club but the HGC is only a shotgun club.  I have opted to just spend the range dues in gas and just head out to the coast range.  Its about the same drive time to either of the other ranges for me (except HGC as that is 2miles from my house) and I can shoot whatever, however I want and the places I go to rarely have anyone there unless it's deer season.  I know of a few good, not so traveled spots which are good for the shooting.  Its just hard to find a strait 100yd range that is flat and has a good back stop out there.  Most are either less than 100yds (like 70-80) or 200-400+ across drainages or are not safe enough for my taste.  But then again I get what I pay for
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Sweet TCGC is 30 minutes from home and about 5 minutes from work.  =)  

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sweet TCGC is 30 minutes from home and about 5 minutes from work.  =)  

View Quote

Thursdays will now become bring your gun to work day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Yeah bummer I checked their website memberships are closed, I put myself on the list though we will see how that goes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quit trying to seduce the new guy Sortagay.
View Quote

This just came on the iTunes.  Just for you sunshine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top