Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2014 8:57:21 PM EDT
As luck would have it I will be temporarily working in Portland starting next month instead of overseas refilling my gun fund. About all I know is I will have a hotel room with kitchenette to myself. I am assuming I will be working at Vigor shipyard. Debating just leaving my car with family and picking up a cheap mtn bike. So if anybody is familiar with the area some intel would be great.

Girls?
Good food & drink?
Running/hiking trails?
Gun ranges?
Skiing?
Fishing?

Yea yea I know its a lib shithole, no choice on this one so I might as well enjoy myself as much as possible.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Its definitely lib, but far from a Sh!thole.  

Girls?  I haven't the foggiest.  Been married 11yrs so I don't really know the conditions of the field as it were.
Good Food and Drink?  Yes.  Everywhere.  Very food centric town.  If you can stand wading through the hipsters it ain't bad at all
Running/hiking trails?  There are some.  Forest Park is pretty good and just on the western edge of portland.  There are lots of hiking trails around town as well as with in 1hr by car
Gun Ranges?  Not too many.  Most are members only or indoor (pistol cal only).  You can also shoot out in the woods if you want to do that, but you'd need transportation for that
Skiing?  You have Mt Hood about 1.5hrs from Portland with year round skiing up at timberline, then a couple more hours away you have bachelor.  Ski season usually doesn't really get moving most of the time until around Christmas but some years it has taken off freakishly early.
Fishing?  Not my area of expertise, but there are fish to be found in various bodies of water.

Portland is extremely bike friendly but get a really good lock and lock everything down.  Its quite easy to get around town on 2 wheels and the mass transit system is pretty good with bikes as well.  You can get to and from just about every extremity of the suburbs with relative ease.  And it has a walmart like people watching appeal about it as well.  Can be quite entertaining at times.  If you want to go skiing there are shuttle busses you can go on for a fee, or at least there were.  Good food can be found all over the place.  Some is seriously over rated *cough* Voodoo Donuts *cough*  but some is down right amazing.  lots of food carts with lots of good food.  Lots of holes in the wall with lots of good food.  Tons of beer everywhere.  Even the Willamette river is occasionally full of beer...when the sewers get over run during the 9mo monsoon season.  Overall its not bad.  But it really depends on where you accommodations will be.  Some parts of town suck.  But for the most part its not bad.  Crime is relatively low and if you can play well with the libs, people can be pretty decent and nice.  There are also a lot more pro 2A folks here than people in town care to admit.  The place it what you make it.  Oh and you are just a short car ride to Vandsterdam if you want to get in touch with your "green" side.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Portland is pretty cool.  It has big city problems like any other but it's far from a shithole. You can have a great time here, especially if you like food, drink and the outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yea yea I know its a lib shithole, no choice on this one so I might as well enjoy myself as much as possible.
View Quote

Portland is FARRRR from a shithole, lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man, your moms cooking is terrible, can I come over and eat?

Sheesh OP. There's a lot of good places to find here. I've only been in the area for a year and a half so I don't know all the best spots yet. Definitely check out the HTF shoot if you're here in time. Plenty of outdoorsy stuff as well. There's a good bar scene if you are looking for loose "lib" women. Let us know when you make it you can buy us a beer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in a suburb and I think that Portland is a shithole... just saying...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
So I'm at a coffee shop that has a full bar

I'm really liking it here in Portland, I think I will try and get stationed up here next year.

ETA Def not a shithole
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm really liking it here in Portland, I think I will try and get stationed up here next year.

ETA Def not a shithole
View Quote

Told ya.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ETA Def not a shithole
View Quote

And Wimenz????
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Casa Diablo...It's a vegan strip club but they have the wimminz!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top