Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 9:16:04 PM EDT
Getting some ambiguous answers from the division of wildlife and forest folks on what parts are off limits to hunting in the Tillamook state forest.  I have my maps that differentiate between public and private land, I know I can't hunt in the camping and walking/biking trail areas.  

Other than that if it is state forest land is it open to hunting?

I called the sheriff's office  for Tillamook county and spoke to a forest patrol officer, asked how far away I needed to be from the camp sights and off road vehicle trails and couldn't get a firm answer on that either.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge you can do "dispersed" camping anywhere in the TSF, just not behind locked gates.  Typically locked gates indicate private land.  The ODF does a lot of land swapping with timber companies to get around clear cutting regs and such.  You can go around a gate to hunt but you can not do so with any kind of motorized vehicle.  So walking or biking are your 2 options there.  Most of the guys that are successful go way behind gates on bikes to get to good game.  There are a ton of road hunters and otherwise inept drunken idiots on and around the roads.  There isn't a ton of success out there during rifle season anywhere near the roads from what I have seen.  Currently I am not aware of any areas other than near trails or official campsites that are off limits.  And for the most part, hunting in those places typically sucks anyway.  You may also check out the other state forest closer to the coast out hwy 26.  I forget what its called, but it might be another good option.  The TSF seems to mainly draw the lazy hunters and I would be very much not into bushwhacking out there as there is a higher likelihood that I will get shot by an idiot that has no clue what they are doing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't mind walking and my fat ass needs the exercise.

I'm more of a bird hunter than anything, if that makes a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top