Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 12:55:19 AM EDT
Hi fellas-

I'm a shooter and a home brewer (and balding, but that's beside the point).

I'm somewhat new to the Portland area and am looking for other enthusiasts to either shoot or brew with.

BTW- any recommendations for good places to shoot would also be much appreciated. I've been out to the English Pit in Vancouver and am looking for something that'll allow me to move and shoot or at least hit some steel.

Cheers guys- keep your powder dry
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Bite of Oregon is going on right now downtown. I'll be there tomorrow after buying some optics from the other thread.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Come to our ARF Oregon shoot! (Check thread at top of page) You should meet all kinds of shooters and find some spots to shoot
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just finished brewing and came in to check the thread- pleasant surprise.

The ARF shoot sounds good to me. I hope my little car can make it out to the sticks...we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just finished brewing and came in to check the thread- pleasant surprise.

The ARF shoot sounds good to me. I hope my little car can make it out to the sticks...we'll see.
View Quote

Where are you located. I'll have 4 with me but can fit two more. I'd say we all carpool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm also a brewer.  I might have too much beer now...  If there is such a thing.  

Two of my batches should be ready to keg the day that I leave on vacation,  so hopefully I don't get too distracted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm also a brewer.  I might have too much beer now...  If there is such a thing.  

Two of my batches should be ready to keg the day that I leave on vacation,  so hopefully I don't get too distracted.
View Quote

i can help dispose of some of that  beer if you need some help?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Dash- I'm currently in SW Portland- Multnomah Village area, but thinking of of heading out to Beaverton/Hillsboro to save on rent $.

Modly- Leaving the batches in secondary for an extra week or two never hurt anything. I've got a dozen bottles of Russian Imperial Stout I brewed back in October that I'm hoarding like the family jewels. Should the  Russians decide to drop a couple nukes, I've debated bugging out with a couple of bottles of it over a few mags of 5.56.

My saison is an interesting fermentation unlike any I've had before. Smells great already. It'll be ready to bottle in a month or so.

I'm getting my brew schedule ready for the cooler weather...but I know I'm lagering again this winter.

Beer and guns. I'm a nerd for both.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah we looked at houses in Mult village. Great location for working downtown but ended up in Tigard and like it minus the commute. Hopefully you can make the HTF shoot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dash- I'm currently in SW Portland- Multnomah Village area, but thinking of of heading out to Beaverton/Hillsboro to save on rent $.

Modly- Leaving the batches in secondary for an extra week or two never hurt anything. I've got a dozen bottles of Russian Imperial Stout I brewed back in October that I'm hoarding like the family jewels. Should the  Russians decide to drop a couple nukes, I've debated bugging out with a couple of bottles of it over a few mags of 5.56.

My saison is an interesting fermentation unlike any I've had before. Smells great already. It'll be ready to bottle in a month or so.

I'm getting my brew schedule ready for the cooler weather...but I know I'm lagering again this winter.

Beer and guns. I'm a nerd for both.
View Quote

I'm more worried about the temperature.  My roomie keeps forgetting to add ice to our baths,  and even pulled off of yeast, I'm still worried that some yeast is still in there and will give me funny flavors.  This summer has already fouled two batches for me.  

I'll at least make room in my beer fridge for the lager that is almost done.  I wish I had a few more days before I leave, because I almost have a fermentation fridge ready to roll.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
My apartment stays *cool* in summer (low-mid70s) so I kind of have to stick to that temp range for brewing and brew for the season- hence, the saison. Winter for me is perfect temp for any kind of ales inside and lagering outside in the storage shed.

Modly- have you tried the swamp cooler technique? Basically just put a tshirt or two over the carboy, douse it, and then turn a fan on it on low. As the water in the tshirt evaporates, it cools the carboy a few degrees. If you'll be around to reapply water, adding some ammonia to the water will bring it down another degree or two.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My apartment stays *cool* in summer (low-mid70s) so I kind of have to stick to that temp range for brewing and brew for the season- hence, the saison. Winter for me is perfect temp for any kind of ales inside and lagering outside in the storage shed.

Modly- have you tried the swamp cooler technique? Basically just put a tshirt or two over the carboy, douse it, and then turn a fan on it on low. As the water in the tshirt evaporates, it cools the carboy a few degrees. If you'll be around to reapply water, adding some ammonia to the water will bring it down another degree or two.
View Quote

I'm doing something similar,  but with 2-liter bottles that are frozen.  I'm using large rubbermaid containers that my carboy sits in,  full of water with just enough room to set two iced 2-liters into it,  with a moist towel covering it.  There is a fan on the other side of the room to blow through.  It is keeping my lager at a good mid-50's that way.  I use one 2-liter with ale yeasts,  and it keeps it in the high 60's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice- What styles do you enjoy brewing the most?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
IPAs typically. I love hops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top