Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 4:47:47 PM EDT
Is Oregon the only state that charges its citizens for background checks on buying firearms? What does the state do with the money? Feed the children or save the environment program?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
All states charge for a background check. I think the standard fee is 10$ or 15$, but a vendor can charge what they want. I have paid 25$, but if someone asks me for 30$ I won't shop there. There was one place I go to for transfers because they will hold my guns as I order them, and do them on one form for the 25$. Saves me money when I have 4 or more coming in. Now Oregon state is supposed to get rid of the background check after 2 weeks, but after some court cases it appears that they are keeping them for several years, or may not be getting rid of them at all. Thats something that is more concerning to me than the cost. If they want to ban a firearm they can go back on those records they are keeping to know where to look. But, my darned boating accident sent all my good stuff to the bottom of a lake, so I have no worried here. Dont try to cross a lake in a kayak full of guns ;)
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
AZ does not charge. The shops in AZ just run the Federal NCIS check over the phone, if your not delayed, you're out the door in five minutes.
If you have an AZ concealed carry permit, you pay, show them your valid permit, and walk out the door.

I am adjusting to our precipitation well, the lack of freedom, not so much.
See you at the capitol and the voting booth, I hope!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AZ does not charge. The shops in AZ just run the Federal NCIS check over the phone, if your not delayed, you're out the door in five minutes.
If you have an AZ concealed carry permit, you pay, show them your valid permit, and walk out the door.

View Quote

They do them over the phone, or internet here as well. It has to be connected to the NCIS because I had a friend that had a warrant out for parking tickets in california, and he was delayed. It was a big hassle because california did not just give the information up, and used a non descriptive code to what was the problem. So, he had to clear it up before he could purchase weapons in Oregon. Oregon state charges 10$ because the state police do the check, and feel that because they are the keeper of the system, and paperwork they should get a piece of the pie. YOu can go in and out with a firearm in Oregon as well, but the state (and vendor) want the money for the check. Not that I think it is right, but you pay it or do a face to face with a private party.

You can thank our lack of freedom on Portland. We don't vote in booths here. This is a mail in ballot state which is part of the problem. No one knows who filled out that ballot, and if that person even exists.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All states charge for a background check. I think the standard fee is 10$ or 15$, but a vendor can charge what they want. I have paid 25$, but if someone asks me for 30$ I won't shop there. There was one place I go to for transfers because they will hold my guns as I order them, and do them on one form for the 25$. Saves me money when I have 4 or more coming in. Now Oregon state is supposed to get rid of the background check after 2 weeks, but after some court cases it appears that they are keeping them for several years, or may not be getting rid of them at all. Thats something that is more concerning to me than the cost. If they want to ban a firearm they can go back on those records they are keeping to know where to look. But, my darned boating accident sent all my good stuff to the bottom of a lake, so I have no worried here. Dont try to cross a lake in a kayak full of guns ;)
View Quote

In regards to background checks that is not true.  In states that run it through the feds there is no background check fee.  I'm not sure if you were referring to just gun background checks or not.

Anyways many/most states do the Federal system and there are some major con's.  If you get denied your appeal can take forever to make it's way through the bureaucracy.  Had a good friend get a felony plead down to a misdemeanor he still has to wait several months from time to time while they figure out the disposition of the case.  He even got a unique pin number and still gets denied from time to time.

My wife has a very common last name.  She has had one traffic ticket in her entire life.  She gets a delay every time when she goes through the Fed's.

Vs. what I have seen in Oregon.  The state police seem to be on top of things.  I watched a guy get delayed at Sportsman Warehouse and they had a trooper come out and call around and get the guy approved right then and there.

My wife gets kicked to a review but here it doesn't take her more than 5-10 minutes.  

So why I'm not a fan of the whole finger print thing and even background checks I have to say if we have to have them the state police is leaps and bounds better than the Feds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I miss the show CCW and carry states.  Fill out the 4473, show your CCW, and out you go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
xac, are you thinking of FFL dealer transfer fees?  I know of no other state than Oregon that charges anything for a background check. Everyone else seems to use the free Federal instant check.  I suppose it helps make the gunshow loophole(measure 5) closure go more easier in transfers
Thanks John McCain and anyone who voted for him for caring about Oregon You may as well have a -D by your name.  Maybe the next Repugnant candidate like Chrisco Crispy will help shut down Armslist and all face to face private firearms sales in America to stop the Mexican terrorists who run guns into the country.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Oregon does their own check so they know (and keep a record of) who has what guns.  IIRC they said they wouldn't keep that data, but on one of my ATF compliance checks (I'm FFL/SOT) the inspector had an approval number for EVERY transfer I did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I believe the State Police can keep the records for 5 years (I recall) and that's it. Naturally, thanks to the lousy legislatures,  there is no punishment recourse in the statute if they do not dispose of the records after 5 years. So essentially they are keeping them indefinitely like the good dictatorial progressives they practice to be.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Does part of this process include listing off to the state police the make, model and serial number of the firearm being purchased when calling it in or is it just the type of firearm being sold?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does part of this process include listing off to the state police the make, model and serial number of the firearm being purchased when calling it in or is it just the type of firearm being sold?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Its news to me that all states do not charge background fees. I have lived in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, Arizona, and Colorado, and every gun I have purchase in any of those states from a gun shop to a pawn shop has charged me to do a background check. You might be right tho about it being just a transfer fee. I figured that is what I was paying for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its news to me that all states do not charge background fees. I have lived in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, Arizona, and Colorado, and every gun I have purchase in any of those states from a gun shop to a pawn shop has charged me to do a background check. You might be right tho about it being just a transfer fee. I figured that is what I was paying for.
View Quote

I think we might be talking about different things.

If you walk into a gun store in states that only have the Federal instant check system they don't charge for the background check.  

Let's use NE as an example.  So if you want a specific gun off the shelf.  You go in fill out the 4473, if you have a valid CCW you walk out with the gun without the FFL having to call you in, if you don't have a CCW the FFL either calls you into the FBI or uses the electronic submission method (it's the same thing but instead of reading your info over the phone to an examiner they submit an electronic form).  

You only pay for the gun, no additional fee for the background check.  

Same if you want to transfer a gun in from gunbroker or from a different state.  What the FFL charges you for on a transfer in states that use the Federal system is his time and effort facilitating the interstate firearms transfer.  It's usually somewhere between $20-$45.  The fee isn't mandated by law nor does that fee go to the government.

Of those states you listed NICS (the fed system) is used in ID and AZ.  I don't know about WA.

The other states you listed run their background check through the state police and are likely required to charge an additional fee for the background check.  I know OR and CO are required to for sure by law as those states run gun transactions through the state police and I'm assuming CA does the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting. It looks like Oregon is not as a free state as one would think, or assume by the acceptance of class III in the hands of citizens, and CCW permits. I do not think that the state patrol would relinquish that source of revenue in the future, and it sounds like the retailers are making out too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Oregon checks include mental health records that the Feds don't have access to.  Some other states don't check mental health records, so, no reciprocity.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I get delayed by OSP all the time and pay $10 for the privilege. I found one helpful supervisor who fixed it for about a year and then it started happening again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oregon checks include mental health records that the Feds don't have access to.  Some other states don't check mental health records, so, no reciprocity.
View Quote

I think OR has stricter standards for prohibited persons as well.  Besides DV I believe there are a couple misdemeanors that make some individuals prohibited persons for a certain number of years after a conviction that would not make a person prohibited under the Federal statute.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:47:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Read ORS 166.412 and some of the related statutes. Many of your questions will be answered.

The $10 fee for the background check really isn't a "source of revenue" for the State Police, it just helps cover the cost of performing the task that was given them by the Oregon Legislature. When the Legislature passes a new law directing a state agency to perform some action, they don't always give that agency any extra money to work with-and I'm not saying that's always a bad thing, either.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think OR has stricter standards for prohibited persons as well.  Besides DV I believe there are a couple misdemeanors that make some individuals prohibited persons for a certain number of years after a conviction that would not make a person prohibited under the Federal statute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any conviction that could put you behind bars for more than a year disqualifies you from owning a gun. It does not have to be a felony.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any conviction that could put you behind bars for more than a year disqualifies you from owning a gun. It does not have to be a felony.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but Oregon has several misdemeanors that are less are less than one year that make people prohibited persons.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Right, but Oregon has several misdemeanors that are less are less than one year that make people prohibited persons.

That is bloody ridiculous.
I was just talking to my co worker, and he told that he was just recently cleared to buy firearms again, after paying restitution for destruction of public property (mudding, state land or something of the sort)
I couldn't believe it, I was flabbergasted. They took away a civil right for an offense not even worthy of jail time! This is out of hand, It boggles my mind, and I need to look into it further.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is bloody ridiculous.
I was just talking to my co worker, and he told that he was just recently cleared to buy firearms again, after paying restitution for destruction of public property (mudding, state land or something of the sort)
I couldn't believe it, I was flabbergasted. They took away a civil right for an offense not even worthy of jail time! This is out of hand, It boggles my mind, and I need to look into it further.
View Quote

That is pretty common for probation, even on misdemeanors.  Conditions of probation are almost always no firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top