Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:28:52 PM EDT
Several people held signs that showed support for Harrington as he was taken inside the jail. Harrington was found guilty two weeks ago of breaking a 1925 law for having, what state water managers called “three illegal reservoirs” on his property. He was convicted of nine misdemeanors, sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1500 for collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his property.

The Oregon Water Resources Department, claims that Harrington has been violating the state’s water use law by diverting water from streams running into the Big Butte River. But Harrington says he is not diverting the state’s water — merely collecting rainwater and snow melt that falls or flows on his own property.
View Quote

Man Goes To Jail For Collecting Rainwater
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How did they even catch him??  I can sort of see the argument, I suppose if everyone collected rainwater our water reserves would dry up, but let's be realistic is that even a real possibility? Probably not. I'm wondering if he will fight the conviction to try and get this law over thrown.  How does the government have the right to stop u from collecting water falling from the sky, onto your own property?!? I could understand diverting it from a stream or other flowing source of water, but rain fall?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did they even catch him??  I can sort of see the argument, I suppose if everyone collected rainwater our water reserves would dry up, but let's be realistic is that even a real possibility? Probably not. I'm wondering if he will fight the conviction to try and get this law over thrown.  How does the government have the right to stop u from collecting water falling from the sky, onto your own property?!? I could understand diverting it from a stream or other flowing source of water, but rain fall?
View Quote

The courts will iron this out. I get a impression this is a situation where he is playing, "My property, do what I want". When it comes to water that is far from the case. He can play ignorant but my guess is they gave him the information and time to correct it and he didn't.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The courts will iron this out. I get a impression this is a situation where he is playing, "My property, do what I want". When it comes to water that is far from the case. He can play ignorant but my guess is they gave him the information and time to correct it and he didn't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what my assumption would be as well. When it comes to land use, the local government is usually pretty workable and gives people the opportunity to correct the issues.  I just wonder how they found out in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
This isn't his first time in jail for it.  He has been fighting them since 2003,  when they revoked his water permits.  Medford was angry that he was withholding so much water (which are held in ponds,  not barrels),  that they forced the county to revoke the permits.  

No streams were diverted in the creation of the ponds.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Jackson County is about the most restrictive of all counties as far as land use planning.  I've dealt with the planning dept. Only the rich south of the border need apply. We looked at 160 buildable acres and the county put up every road block to make it difficult as possible. Real estate agents make it worse by lying about eveything.  To answer the question "how'd they find out?"  Easy, your neighbor! The County has told us several times if you do anything to disturb your neighbor and they complain then they will take action.  Also there a tool they use called Google Earth I sure you've heard of.  They can pan down on anyones property and see what is going on.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no way people would affect the water reserves. Even if they did, so what? They would have their own reserves at that point and not need the city's.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no way people would affect the water reserves. Even if they did, so what? They would have their own reserves at that point and not need the city's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wouldn't, but what about the ones with out collectors/reservoirs? Also being southern oregon, I'm sure they see droughts in the summer months where every drop of water is a precious commodity.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They wouldn't, but what about the ones with out collectors/reservoirs? Also being southern oregon, I'm sure they see droughts in the summer months where every drop of water is a precious commodity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean, but I guess my point is that if they collect their own reserves then they probably would not need the city's in the event of an emergency...I guess the flaw in my logic is that they would probably continue to use the city's reserves until those were out and then they would tap into what they had saved up.

Oh well, I'm not too concerned about some people collecting their own rain water. I think if it falls on my land I should own it, but I'm old-school like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top