Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 5:15:54 PM EDT
Shotgun A: Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, made from a Remington 870 Police Wingmaster

14" Remington LE barrel, fixed Modified choke

Backbored and forcing cone lengthened by Vang Comp Systems

Shotgun B: Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, made from a Remington 870 Police Wingmaster

12" Cylinder bore

Shotgun C: Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, made from a Remington 870 Police

18.5" Cylinder bore

Ammunition Federal LE Reduced Recoil 12ga 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 Buck with Flite Control wad, #LE13200. Muzzle velocity is a stated 1145fps from an 18.5" barrel.

Distances shot were 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards. 1 round from each shotgun at each distance. 3 and 5 yard lines were measured with a tape measure, all other distances were measured with an LRF.

No, this is not a scientific test by any means......I didn't shoot enough rounds from each to get an average.

In the pics, Target A3 is Shotgun A fired from 3 yds, and so on.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Shep,

Nice shotguns.  I have a Remington MCS and carry it in the 14.5" config for duty.  I have been considering doing the same thing you have done to the forcing cone and back boring and have considered doing it myself.  I actually have two 870's and having it done to both justify's the cost of the tooling.  Did you do this work yourself or did someone do it for you?  Is there an advantage to the Vang Comp system over just having a gunsmith do the work?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I have one of those smoke poles?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shep,

Nice shotguns.  I have a Remington MCS and carry it in the 14.5" config for duty.  I have been considering doing the same thing you have done to the forcing cone and back boring and have considered doing it myself.  I actually have two 870's and having it done to both justify's the cost of the tooling.  Did you do this work yourself or did someone do it for you?  Is there an advantage to the Vang Comp system over just having a gunsmith do the work?
View Quote
I suppose that a good gunsmith with the right tools can do it.  I had Vang Comp do the backboring and forcing cones and it was $200, including return shipping.  The complete "Vang Comp System" includes porting as well, but I did not want that done.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can I have one of those smoke poles?
View Quote
I'd sell the 18.5" gun!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My Benelli M-3 was a whole different gun when I had the forcing cone worked over and chokes added. With flight control buckshot it was inside an 8" circle well behind the concrete lanes at yalls old range. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got an old HK-marked Benelli M1 that I plan on sending to Vang Comp to have the barrel work done.  I'll shoot it for group before and after.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I only use the flitecontrol wad Federal LE and Truball slug LE loads for my shotguns.  It is amazing how tight a pattern can be had even at 25 yards!   Contrary to popular belief, if you use the right ammo, you will not be "spraying" ammo downrange and potentially endangering people in other rooms to the left and right of where you are shooting.   Great pictures!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
That is what I expected with that ammo. If you want a huge difference between the guns just change ammo. In my test the flight control wads keep the pattern tighter than any other "00" buck shot. Thanks for posting good article.
Scott V
centerfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Attended Tom Givens' SG class last year. Watched different shotguns of the same make, barrel length, and choke disperse the shot differently, some significantly.

Duplicated it at SWAT training and out of about 20 SG's on the line, at least ten shot a good concentric group while several scattered the BS all over.

Another take-away was the 9th pellet flyer... as seen in the last pic from 25 yards (C25). Again, at SWAT, we duplicated the 9th pellet flyer many times despite the rest of the 8 pellets being concentric. Therefore, we are burning through our 9-pettet ammo and will be switching to 8-pellet loads.

Eye opening to say the least...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Very instructive.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top