Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 7:44:35 PM EDT
Mark your calendars and get your builds finished!  This is your 3 month notice.  

3rd annual MOA challenge shoot.

When it gets closer to the shoot, we will have a details / discussion / sign up / BBQ / lame excuses thread
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't believe I'm first. IN!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen mention of this before, but the Google is failing me. What exactly is the MOA challenge?  Hopefully I'll be settled in and guns up and running before then.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen mention of this before, but the Google is failing me. What exactly is the MOA challenge?  Hopefully I'll be settled in and guns up and running before then.
View Quote
The basics are in this thread below.
MOA Challenge thread

Its a day of precision paper punching.  Five - 5 shot groups on a single piece of paper.  The goal is to challenge yourself to average less than a minute of angle for your target, and to see who can get the smallest 5 group average for the shoot.  

I am happy to announce that for the 3rd year in a row, the shoot is sponsored by LaRue Tactical!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife's birthday, so I'm out again this time. Should be a good time from what I've seen the past few hall have done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Where will the shoot take place?

Marking it down on the calendar. Should be a fun event.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Count me in. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where will the shoot take place?

Marking it down on the calendar. Should be a fun event.
View Quote
Private range near Crawfordville.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That's my wife's birthday as well, and my weekend to work. I might have to get creative
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I should be in.  My weekend off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]
......Hope to be in but work is being stubborn lately....say 80% chance in even if it's just for the day instead of the weekend....

...Still have to work up loads for Meme's new iron and the new (hopefully) single ragged hole puncher....

...This gonna' be at the AER or NF range again this year?...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet!  Got my fingers crossed that I can make it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
*sigh*

That weekend is fall break for the kiddos, we already have reservations and will be out of town.

This will be the first I've missed....
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
In.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
*sigh*

That weekend is fall break for the kiddos, we already have reservations and will be out of town.

This will be the first I've missed....
View Quote
LAME
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Will the competition be at your place?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Will the competition be at your place?
View Quote
yes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yes.
View Quote
Anything I could bring other than my wife and her 10/22?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in. Smoker will be in tow. 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Anything I could bring other than my wife and her 10/22?
View Quote
A positive attitude is the most important thing!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A positive attitude is the most important thing!  
View Quote
That's a given with RedWolf!!!  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there an AAR for the MOA #2 (Results, prize winners, etc...)?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there an AAR for the MOA #2 (Results, prize winners, etc...)?
View Quote
Hmm... I don't know if there was an official AAR.  I know there was a thank you thread in the LaRue forum and some chat in the big thread.  Good idea though for #3 !!

Anyhow... Draconis won the top prize last year.  Maybe he will post a pic of it! ~ the top 8 shooters got a box or 2 of Gorilla ammo.   Everyone else who attended and competed in the competition received a MBT and a special edition Dillo.  (I am going completely from memory on the ammo, I don't have the info in front of me at the moment)
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm leaning towards "in", but won't know for sure what work looks like until about 3 weeks out
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in tentatively.  Too many changes at work going on to know what my schedule will be like then.  I should hopefully know by the beginning of September though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking forward to the shoot. Looks like I'll finally have a chance to try this and hopefully I'll have time to try 3-4 rifles.

Quick question: is it a one and done, or can you shoot a second target w/ the same rifle? I don't have a local range, so I'll appreciate the ability to shoot/test loads.

Can the Armageddon gear small fat bag or X-wing be used?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looking forward to the shoot. Looks like I'll finally have a chance to try this and hopefully I'll have time to try 3-4 rifles.

Quick question: is it a one and done, or can you shoot a second target w/ the same rifle? I don't have a local range, so I'll appreciate the ability to shoot/test loads.

Can the Armageddon gear small fat bag or X-wing be used?
View Quote
As long as there is room on the line and there isn't someone waiting to shoot that hasn't shot yet; you can shoot till your out of ammo or your shoulder falls off. Any rear bag must require constant manipulation by your supporting hand. (i.e a squeeze bag)
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Are there any prizes that have been donated for this shoot? I hate to sound greedy
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hmm... I don't know if there was an official AAR.  I know there was a thank you thread in the LaRue forum and some chat in the big thread.  Good idea though for #3 !!

Anyhow... Draconis won the top prize last year.  Maybe he will post a pic of it! ~ the top 8 shooters got a box or 2 of Gorilla ammo.   Everyone else who attended and competed in the competition received a MBT and a special edition Dillo.  (I am going completely from memory on the ammo, I don't have the info in front of me at the moment)
View Quote
...I'll do one better....Meme will be bringing the top prize with her this year...Her own LaRue PredatAR in FDE....
....If I can get the time to fine tune loads for her, she'll be shooting for the top slot this year....The work up ladder test had one (3 shot groups only) of .68 MOA.....but I still need to fine tune that.....

....I plan to bring last year's 20" Stealth and loads just in case, but will try to wring out the new Stealth 2.0...The ladder tests on that one looks...promising....

...If anyone wants to take a swing with either of them, they seem to like Black Hills 69 grain remanufactured SMKs the best....
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome that Mark is so generous. It'd be really cool to see a Grendel or 260 offered up (hint, hint Mark). I've got a 16" Stealth barreled AR that I need to test out but I imagine I'll have the best results with one of my bolt guns. It's a solid1.25 moa or less on a good day.

Def. interested in meeting the board members, as the only prize I stand to win is a door prize and maybe meeting someone who has land to shoot on. Sucks not having a local place to shoot. I've literally got 100+ rounds for load development across 4 rifles that have been on my bench for 2 months!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Awesome that Mark is so generous. It'd be really cool to see a Grendel or 260 offered up (hint, hint Mark). I've got a 16" Stealth barreled AR that I need to test out but I imagine I'll have the best results with one of my bolt guns. It's a solid1.25 moa or less on a good day.

Def. interested in meeting the board members, as the only prize I stand to win is a door prize and maybe meeting someone who has land to shoot on. Sucks not having a local place to shoot. I've literally got 100+ rounds for load development across 4 rifles that have been on my bench for 2 months!
View Quote
I don't know what you consider to be local, but if the city of Madison isn't too far away, you could come out to the Angry Emu Range to try out your loads. IM me if you're interested.

Oh, and I plan to be at the MOA, but I'm sure it won't be early, as usual.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are there any prizes that have been donated for this shoot? I hate to sound greedy
View Quote
Yes.  LaRue Tactical is sponsoring the shoot again.  Details to follow.  Nobody has complained so far
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
...I'll do one better....Meme will be bringing the top prize with her this year...Her own LaRue PredatAR in FDE....
....If I can get the time to fine tune loads for her, she'll be shooting for the top slot this year....The work up ladder test had one (3 shot groups only) of .68 MOA.....but I still need to fine tune that.....

....I plan to bring last year's 20" Stealth and loads just in case, but will try to wring out the new Stealth 2.0...The ladder tests on that one looks...promising....

...If anyone wants to take a swing with either of them, they seem to like Black Hills 69 grain remanufactured SMKs the best....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suddenly a run on those.  lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes.  LaRue Tactical is sponsoring the shoot again.  Details to follow.  Nobody has complained so far
View Quote
I'm just trying to get a pto day from my wife ;)
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't know what you consider to be local, but if the city of Madison isn't too far away, you could come out to the Angry Emu Range to try out your loads. IM me if you're interested.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.. I figured you would do a nighttime shoot... as usual.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your best bet is to get out to Emu's and start practicing!  My place isn't open for practice very often.  Too much work to do and that leaves little play time for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to confirm, we can run bolt guns and/or gassers, correct?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#39]
You can run anything your heart desires. I'll be there with either my 77/22 or my new (to me) modified 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#40]
intend to be there barring disaster, also intending to bring 2-3, a couple of whom are board browsers but not active.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Lame excuse #1 up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]
What's a KP?

Might need to add some pictures to this thread of planned rifles for the event.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's a KP?

View Quote
Kitchen Pass. I'll refrain from further comment
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a KP?

Happy wife, happy life.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I should be able make it with 1 more
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I can only get one weekend out, so I'm headed to the non competition shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top