Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 9:31:00 AM EDT
.. because I think I'm being set up to take a ride.

Had the house 3 years, been in it continuously for the last one.

Inherited three separate units:
2 ton Trane, 9 years old,  newer than R22 refrigerant, "lifetime" CoolRay warranty that was put in for a empty unfinished basement at the time (1200 sq ft)
2 ton Ruud 12 year old R22 unit for main floor, 1400 sq ft
3 or 3.5 ton Ruud 12 year old R22 unit for upstairs, 1800 sq ft

We keep the house relatively warm during summer (76) and colder during winter (66-68).

started a 3 yr maint agreement with CoolRay when I bought the house, immediately had to put 3 lbs into the main floor unit, 1 lb into the upstairs. Time passes.. minor crap on the 2 Ruuds, Trane unit gets a new compressor and fan motor over that time- all under warranty (really wasn't being used, suspect it's short cycling). I think the previous owner got oversold.

Last week, pan on main floor unit is collecting water, condensation pump is fine, not coming from there. Maint agreement has *just* expired in March. Tech opens unit, nothing obvious. Runs unit a while, about the bottom quarter starts to develop frost. Pressure gauge is at 50, says it needs to be 65+. 3 more lbs later (at $100 a lb) unit appears to be cooling better and not dropping water in the pan.

So, unit is probably leaking and needs to be replaced, as R22 is just going to get to be more and more of a problem to get... Fine. Sales guy comes out... Puron (Carrier) 2 ton 15 SEER units start at 7+k installed, go to 10k (and they're pushing some new POS wifi thermostat that has weather prediction, email, more crap I don't need- I have perfectly good, easily programmable, Honeywell RTH8500s). Ouch.

I have a Reliable rep coming today for a quote.. but considering CoolRay is paying for a stadium and Reliable is paying for most of the billboards in Cobb and Cherokee, I think those figures won't be any lower.

This is in the Woodstock area. I thought I'd be looking at about 5k+. Anyone have an honest HVAC rep?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Forum member John Hudson

+1 (770) 365-8860
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Superior Indoor Comfort, Inc.
(770) 664-9098

All of Metro Atlanta and most of the rest of the state as well.  Honest, ethical and reliable.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
5-6k, depending on seer for quality, not builder grade crap.  where are you located?  thanks Rob, feel free to use the number Rob supplied, I'm heading out the door, got a late start this morning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
12 years old you shouldn't need a furnace, just an AC unit and coil, just re read this.  sorry for the lack of attention the first time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12 years old you shouldn't need a furnace, just an AC unit and coil, just re read this.  sorry for the lack of attention the first time.
View Quote
Thanks- family gave me a referral to "their guy" that said exactly that. Coil is going in early next week. Apparently Cool-Ray techs are "encouraged" to "find" $300 in stuff per trip in their new-tech orientation, from an ex employee. Looking over my PM history with them (now over), there's coincidences there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks- family gave me a referral to "their guy" that said exactly that. Coil is going in early next week. Apparently Cool-Ray techs are "encouraged" to "find" $300 in stuff per trip in their new-tech orientation, from an ex employee. Looking over my PM history with them (now over), there's coincidences there.
View Quote
We just hired a tech from another company. The expectation was 10K a week. There is no way to be high integrity with a quota like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
my dad always said good character will make you money, be dishonest and you don't stand a chance....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Forum member John Hudson

+1 (770) 365-8860
View Quote
Was going to post John. Great guy. He put in a new American Standard heat pump two months ago for me, saved me quite a bit plus took the time to do it right.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was going to post John. Great guy. He put in a new American Standard heat pump two months ago for me, saved me quite a bit plus took the time to do it right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forum member John Hudson

+1 (770) 365-8860
Another referral for John. I have recommend him to reveal co workers who were quite pleased with him as well
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
2tom2 is great
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2tom2 is great
View Quote
He is great and handles all my commercial work, but at the moment he is not only run ragged but also based out of Griffin.

As far as equipment goes OP,  if you can swing it a 2 stage ac unit and 2 stage furnace with a ECM motor really made a huge difference in comfort versus the single speed builder grade equipment it replaced.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
John Hudson (770) 365-8860 took great care of me this morning.  Great service and fair prices.  Would definitely recommend if you are in his service area.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
John Hudson (770) 365-8860 took great care of me this morning.  Great service and fair prices.  Would definitely recommend if you are in his service area.
View Quote
I'm in your area, but on the poor side of town, down wind from you. :)

I had my two condensing units replaced and the coils in the indoor units replaced last Tuesday by Superior Indoor Comfort, I've had service contract with them for over 10 years.  I feel that I got a great deal, cost less than the cheapest Wilson CQB.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top