Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2017 10:19:33 AM EDT
Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA will host an Appleseed shoot on 10-11 June 2017. The shoot is a great way to learn field position rifle marksmanship. It's well suited for both beginner and experienced shooters and is family oriented. The price is hard to beat for this level of quality instruction: $60 for adults and $20 for youth.  

Info

Registration
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
"EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY THE USE OF SMITH AND WESSON M&P 15/22’S AT AN APPLESEED ARE HEREBY TEMPORARILY PROHIBITED DUE TO RECENT SAFETY ISSUES."
Wut? Lulz.... so I google it and the funny pages came up. Come on....
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/15/breaking-mp-1522s-banned-appleseed-events-battery-run-away-discharges/
Side note, IMO, with a handful of these, if you don't run high velocities they don't like to cycle.
Anyway, I'm an Appleseed fan so it's a maybe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Was a member there  years ago. I moved out of state with a job. I always like MRGC   . I would normally go during the week and shoot for hours and only be a few people show up. Everybody I met was great . WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone a member and know when the next orientation is?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone a member and know when the next orientation is?
View Quote
The next orientation will be 6/17.

Here is the calendar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The next orientation will be 6/17.

Here is the calendar.
View Quote
Thanks! I went and joined today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
They are great folks. Be sure to shoot some of the matches. They have a good variety.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are great folks. Be sure to shoot some of the matches. They have a good variety.
View Quote
I was a member there back in 2006-2009 and shot a few matches. I let my membership lapse when we moved.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I was able to make the shoot on Saturday but had to work Sunday so I missed the 100 yard portion.
The event is well worth the entrance fee.  For the material they cover this class is better than the NRA Basic Rifle course. I really do know the difference. Being an instructor I still take a class occasionally to keep me sharp. This course does cover a few of the same thing as the NRA course but it excels at teaching positions and use of the sling.  The first target we shot was called the red coat; it is designed to set a bench mark of your skill level.  It is shot all prone an designed to estimate your effective range with your rifle out to 400 yards.  They start with the 6 fundamentals of firing a shot. The instructors then run you through drills to cover proper use of a sling in the 4 standard positions. Magazine changes under time pressure and "Rifle cadence" are also taught.  I did learn a few things here that are very different from the tactical rifle training I have completed. Mag change when you are "slung up" are very different than a speed reload with the support hand; especially when the magazine does not fall free. The free fall magazine issue was due to my rifle choice. Since my eyes are not as good as they used to be I took my AR with a excellent Leupold scope and a CMMG conversion kit. The kit ran flawless all day; however there were 2 issues I noticed. First the mag is designed to lock the 22 bolt open on the last shot by using the follower to stop the bolt. This worked but this design won't allow the mag to drop free. Second issue was the 3 types of ammo I took did not like the twist rate of the AR barrel only once the whole day did I get a group with the round touching. I notice almost every group had a flyer. I actually watched the impact shift from shot to shot. I did qualify expert at the end of the day. we also shot the Red coat target again at the end of the day to see the improvement. Almost everyone improved despite being hot and tired. I highly recommend these events even if you can only attend 1 day.

Thanks to Brian and his crew this was a great event.

Scott V
Centerfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Scott. Congrats on earning that Rifleman's patch!

AAR is here: Macon Appleseed AAR

Macon Telegraph showed up Sunday to shoot a short video: Macon Telegraph Video
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#10]
ScottV .... Huzzah!   Congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been looking to join for a while.  I'm going to take my app up there tomorrow.  Hopefully that'll mean I'll see you Saturday!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been looking to join for a while.  I'm going to take my app up there tomorrow.  Hopefully that'll mean I'll see you Saturday!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately I won't be out there Saturday. My wife has to work, so I'll have the kids. I've been out there the 2 weekends before this past weekend testing/zeroing my new Cola Warrior rifle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I won't be out there Saturday. My wife has to work, so I'll have the kids. I've been out there the 2 weekends before this past weekend testing/zeroing my new Cola Warrior rifle.
View Quote
Went and did my orientation and stayed for the "bowling pin" match afterward. Pretty impressed for the price of admission and met some nice folks. Looking forward to spending time out there.

ETA: to stay on topic, the next Appleseed is Oct 14-15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top