Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 7:50:02 PM EDT
Are any of you members at SCOTG? I stumbled upon a post from a HTF member, Cmshoot (sp) perhaps, on another forum when searching for LR/ELR ranges, which peaked my interest. The range is about halfway between my home to my dads in NC, so it seemed like a good place for meeting up and banging steel. Logistics aside, I do have a few questions.

For those that are members or have gone for a range day (not a class), how congested are the firing lines? Any wait times for a spot? I don't mind a 3hr drive to get to a range that goes out beyond 1000yds, but I'm not a big fan of having to wait for hours to shoot.

Are there multiple mid to long range areas?

Are there a variety of barricades up year round for positional shooting?

Any info on Precision matches that you've attended there would be welcomed as well.

General impression of the facility and members that you've seen there? Usually not an issue, and I used to never even ask about that till visiting one range in SWFL.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and/or pictures.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I teach long range classes there a few times a year.  Can't answer most of your questions, though!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. Managed to make it up today to check it out. It was about like what I envisioned. Not like a traditional range in many regards, but the ability to stretch it out with pre-positioned targets.

Managed to run the 6.5creed gasser out to 800yds without a miss on the ipsc targets, but ran into issues at 1k. Not sure if it was switching lots of ammo, fouling or what, but I wasn't getting the same consistency in impacts. Upon inspection, the primers were pierced so I decided to retire the gasser for the day.

Wrapped up with breaking out the 260 at 1k. After the frustration with the gasser, there was satisfaction with making a first round hit and following it up with 4 more. I definitely need to remember a range finder on the next trip so that I can create a range card since there wasn't one posted.

Aside from the lack of sunscreen, it turned out to be a decent day. For anyone who might go to a range day, I'd suggest sunscreen, long sleeves/pants or a pop up sunshade tent.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely a neat place.  They have plans for a lot of improvements/new venues, such as a shoothouse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I think their membership pricing is steep for folks that might only get out there 6-10 times a year.

Like golf clubs, I think they would be well served by doing a cheaper membership for regional folks. Something like 2-250 a year if you live more than 100 miles away.

A lot of these big ranges have financial trouble. Also like golf clubs I expect it's the second or third owner who might actually make the club work financially.

Remember there is a 700 yard range in Athens and cmp 600 yard range in Alabama. I think there are some longer range opportunities at benning periodically.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think their membership pricing is steep for folks that might only get out there 6-10 times a year.

Like golf clubs, I think they would be well served by doing a cheaper membership for regional folks. Something like 2-250 a year if you live more than 100 miles away.

A lot of these big ranges have financial trouble. Also like golf clubs I expect it's the second or third owner who might actually make the club work financially.

Remember there is a 700 yard range in Athens and cmp 600 yard range in Alabama. I think there are some longer range opportunities at benning periodically.
View Quote
SCOTG makes big $ off of the US Marine Corps.  They have a huge, adjoining piece of property that ain't part of the standard membership package......the Corps rents it regularly for their OCS Warfighting School.   Membership to the "civilian" range is a drop in the bucket for SCOTG.  

Several of my students that trained there with me ended up paying for a regular membership.  Pretty tough to find a 1,500yd range that's open to the public.  Also, during certain parts of the year, you can shoot to 1.5 miles.   That's a yuuuuge difference from 600-700yds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

SCOTG makes big $ off of the US Marine Corps.  They have a huge, adjoining piece of property that ain't part of the standard membership package......the Corps rents it regularly for their OCS Warfighting School.   Membership to the "civilian" range is a drop in the bucket for SCOTG.  

Several of my students that trained there with me ended up paying for a regular membership.  Pretty tough to find a 1,500yd range that's open to the public.  Also, during certain parts of the year, you can shoot to 1.5 miles.   That's a yuuuuge difference from 600-700yds.
View Quote
True. Looks like it's cheaper than I remember. I thought I saw 5-600 plus a application fee.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Membership I have in my pocket...

gunna have to siphon off the kids' inheritance for the 375 Cheytac

and a caddy.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Biggest thing for me was finding a place that would allow shooting from supported positions and getting time in beyond 800yds.

Shooting 600yds prone at a moa target with a 260/6.5cm isn't too difficult. Going from a barricade at that same distance on a 3moa target is far more challenging, and worth the price of admission.

Not sure if the 1.5m target will be available, but I'm planning on getting a 6mm 1:7 twist barrel to chamber the next time I swing by my dads. Thinking that a 6creed with the 110smk will be very interesting at ELR. If I had a magnum SA available, a 6.5SAUM would be nice to try as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Disregard, misread what I was quoting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I looked into Gunsite Hills, but the whole by appointment only and pricing structure turned me away. I'm not sure if the daily range fee is 25$, or if that's added on to a class fee, as the website makes it out as more of a training class range. That, and they aren't open on Sunday which is  50% of the time that I have available to shoot.

I would love to have joined K&M, but that's close to a 5.5hr drive, which puts a single day trip out of the question. It's a fantastic range though. If you ever have the chance, you should definitely check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top