Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 5:26:07 PM EDT
On  my 12th week, still no permit.  Anyone else experience this long of wait?  PS, ex LEO, clean record....
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On  my 12th week, still no permit.  Anyone else experience this long of wait?  PS, ex LEO, clean record....
View Quote

It happens sometimes.

Despite what they may have told you at the Probate office, I would highly recommend calling them to check the status of your GWCL.

Several guys I've worked with over the last couple years who applied in Chatham for their GWCLs waited two or three months before contacting the Probate office on the status of their permits and they were told that their permits had been mailed out about fourteen days after they'd applied.  

Contact them ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had an issue in Savannah. 2 weeks or less.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
So can they issue you another at Probate if the original was lost?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had an issue in Savannah. 2 weeks or less.
View Quote
The times I applied/renewed, I never had much of a wait time, either.  

But when things get busy, ( elections, local tension, etc ) I've heard from some of those who applied during these times that the wait time goes up dramatically, especially in Chatham.  A guy at work applied back December.  He's still waiting.  

If the Probate office already mailed out your GWCL and you never received it, they will re-issue a new one and send it out, roughly within a week or less.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
They quoted my wife 10+ weeks when she applied (new, not renewal) in mid-February.  

I can see high demand resulting in some backlog, but that's a little excessive.  If I might don the tinfoil for a moment, I'd almost wonder if there's not a little bit of "we don't like that we have to issue these so we're going to make the process painfully long".  

I remember my first application in 2007 took over three months...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife let hers lapse eight months ago (whoops). Gwinnett had her new one to her in less than 2 weeks. Largest county (by population) in the state.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Fulton County, slowest bunch of idiots run it. I got mine in roughly 5 weeks...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
After 15 weeks it finally arrived.  I called 2 weeks ago and found that they did not have my prints in their folder.  They found it soon after and pushed it through.  Once notified they were helpful, but had I not called I would have never gotten it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After 15 weeks it finally arrived.  I called 2 weeks ago and found that they did not have my prints in their folder.  They found it soon after and pushed it through.  Once notified they were helpful, but had I not called I would have never gotten it.
View Quote
Congrats!

They guy at work I mentioned here in an above post received his about two aeeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife applied mid-February (new license) and finally got hers at the end of May.  12+ weeks...  Chatham has always taken a long time, well in excess of the legal requirement.  At least now they seem to have more (and friendlier) people in the probate court.

Put in for my renewal beginning of June.  Going to call in a week or two and pester them.  I think by law they only have 20 or 30 days total.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top