Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 7:57:33 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm moving to Ft Benning in May. Mostly just introducing myself. I haven't been active on the board in a while, mostly because I haven't had a ton of free time. I used to be quite active in the Oregon, Washington, and Texas HTFs when I lived in those states.

My wife might end up working on the Alabama side of the border, and we may end up living slightly on that side too depending on our rental options. I dunno if their HTF sucks though ...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll vouch for voilsb and his wife. Welcome to the HTF - our jolly band of degenerates. Lots of .mil peeps here.

@ytka et al - can you recommend go/no go areas?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
exit 3 and 4 are not the kinds of places you generally want to be, especially after dark... Rents are not cheap in the Columbus area. Housing is cheaper on the Alabama side, but getting across the bridge can be problematic during the heavy traffic times. Fort Mitchell housing is cheap, but there is a reason, many of the homes there were built with little or ZERO thoughts about energy cost. I've heard stories of the utilities being equal to the payment or monthly rental...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll vouch for voilsb and his wife. Welcome to the HTF - our jolly band of degenerates. Lots of .mil peeps here.

@ytka et al - can you recommend go/no go areas?
View Quote
I don't know much of anything about the Benning area. There is a member locator thread that might have some members in that area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I just looked and there aren't any members listed in Columbus. Another option would be to check in the military forum. I'm sure some of those guys have been stationed there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I know there's a member who is LEO in that area, but he'll have to identify himself, I don't think he's on here that often these days.  A couple of years ago, I could have pointed the OP to a couple of houses for sale from friends who were ETS'ing.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, my wife is a chemist and currently a university professor, so if anyone has any leads for similar work (lab supervisor, research chemist, science professor, etc, especially if it's something we wouldn't think to look for) we'd appreciate it. She's been hunting online, but hasn't had a lot of luck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, my wife is a chemist and currently a university professor, so if anyone has any leads for similar work (lab supervisor, research chemist, science professor, etc, especially if it's something we wouldn't think to look for) we'd appreciate it. She's been hunting online, but hasn't had a lot of luck.
View Quote
She might want to contact the chem people at Columbus State about adjunct or better positions.  Also, Auburn and Southern Union CC are not a bad drive from Colubus
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the paper mills in the area - paper industry is ALWAYS looking for technical skills
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Know a guy who worked at Tom's/ Lance with a similar background
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tips. She's already checked with Columbus State and has applications in for Auburn, but we'll look into the other suggestions!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I live and work in Columbus.

I'll second everything that has been said before. I don't know your needs/wants as far as housing, schools, proximity to stuff, ect. But generally North Columbus and North Phenix City are ok. Harris County (GA side) and Lee County (AL side) are really the 'best all around' choices, but can be a drive to Benning.

Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the tips. We're planning to visit to get to know the lay of the land in a couple weeks, so I'll probably hit you up then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top