Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2017 12:01:00 AM EDT
Hello all,

It seems to be I will be landing in the suwanne/sugar hill area in a few months and getting a townhome, and since everything (almost everything) in GA is HOA, I was wondering a good way/place to store gas? Is storing gas in the garage ok?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't ask don't tell.  

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere jerks can tell me what to do like that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't ask don't tell.  

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere jerks can tell me what to do like that.
View Quote
Well, the covenant does not state anything related to storing gas, etc... and since I'm moving because of schools, unfortunately this specific area is governed by HOA's. Since it doesn't state antyhing, I meant to ask more towards if it is safe to store gas in the garage and of course I will be discrete about these things
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#3]
There are building codes and local ordinances that limit the amount of flammable liquids that can be stored in a garage.
It varies as to whether the garage has fire sprinklers.
There is also a clause in most homeowner/rental insurance policies.
Me personally I store a decent amount in Jerry cans for both safety & no smell.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If I use the Jerry cans, do I still need ventilation in the garage?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Properly sealed Jerry cans do not vent so no.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Properly sealed Jerry cans do not vent so no.
View Quote
This is key.  Get high quality ones from somewhere like Lexington Container Company and you'll have no issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is key.  Get high quality ones from somewhere like Lexington Container Company and you'll have no issues.
View Quote
Thanks, that's the web I am thinking of buying from. I would like to have about 10 jerry cans, so hopefully these are good enough that I dont have to worry about them in the garage.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks, that's the web I am thinking of buying from. I would like to have about 10 jerry cans, so hopefully these are good enough that I dont have to worry about them in the garage.

Thanks!
View Quote
You're welcome.  I got my five from them and have been pleased with the product and service.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
If you can deal with bright yellow, Ohio Prep Supply has some NATO Jerry cans for $23 each (although the nozzle is separate).  ARFCOM bought out all the other colors already (reportedly we ordered a complete container load when they were first offered).
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you can deal with bright yellow, Ohio Prep Supply has some NATO Jerry cans for $23 each (although the nozzle is separate).
View Quote
Even though I'm full up on cans, I checked 'em out and noticed this:  they still have the non-EPA nozzles.  If you've ever dealt with the "no spill" EPA nozzles mandated a few years ago, you know they make spills worse and are extremely frustrating to use.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
How long can you store gas in jerry cans before it starts to break down and become useless?  doesn't the ethanol in it accelerate the breakdown?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How long can you store gas in jerry cans before it starts to break down and become useless?  doesn't the ethanol in it accelerate the breakdown?
View Quote
2 choices:

1. Some stations are starting to sell non-ethanol gas locally. For instance the new QT at 316 & Sugarloaf Parkway in Gwinnett County

2. Sta-B-il can be used for a while. I store a handful of Sceptre can's worth of unleaded gasoline, but I rotate them out and make sure they're used up within 1 calendar year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2 choices:

1. Some stations are starting to sell non-ethanol gas locally. For instance the new QT at 316 & Sugarloaf Parkway in Gwinnett County

2. Sta-B-il can be used for a while. I store a handful of Sceptre can's worth of unleaded gasoline, but I rotate them out and make sure they're used up within 1 calendar year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 choices:

I think QT is integrating ethanol-free gas into more stations, the new one on Sandy Plains at Canton Road also has it, in Cobb County.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can add something like Sta-Bil and you might be good for about two years.

Ethanol does have negative effects, but you can find non-ethanol gas by going to Pure-Gas.org.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you can deal with bright yellow, Ohio Prep Supply has some NATO Jerry cans for $23 each (although the nozzle is separate).  ARFCOM bought out all the other colors already (reportedly we ordered a complete container load when they were first offered).
View Quote
Yes! I remember that thread, but I also remembers some of the users here getting cans with some "low" quality cans that they had to exchange I believe. Where they able to solve this problem?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think QT is integrating ethanol-free gas into more stations, the new one on Sandy Plains at Canton Road also has it, in Cobb County.
View Quote
the new Racetrac off hwy 20 in canton and I believe the new QT off Riverstone in Canton both have ethanol free on several pumps
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I would not store any gasoline (or other explosives) inside my house/garage.  Small secure outbuilding well worth it.  Sta-bil helps.

We run propane for the appliances and generator, and have large tank buried.  Lasts way better than gas or diesel.  Unfortunately, vehicles are gasoline...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top