Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 9:27:43 PM EDT
I think it would cool to have tannerite at the shoot, but I have no experience with it. We tried some homemade stuff at the Fall Shoot that was less than successful. Buying the "branded" stuff at retail is expensive, and would kill the budget in a hurry! These shoots are run off of donations, and I'd hate the thought of trying to beg a bazillion $$$ so that we could go the easy route and buy the stuff at Academy Sports......

Ideas?!?

Sources?!?

Basement chemists with experience and expertise?!?

What pyrotechnical advice can the GA HTF give to help make the Spring Shoot a BLAST?!?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll check out Academy Sports this week as I pass through Athens and see what the have and for how much. Boom would be cool!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Fury and I have 100lbs or so that we will bring.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fury and I have 100lbs or so that we will bring.
View Quote
WOW!!! That would be incredible!!!

Do we need to start scrounging some smallish containers to put it in? Blowing 100 lbs at once might be a wee bit of overkill......

ETA: There will be a donation jar at the sign in table, let us know what the HTF needs to ante up out of it to help y'all with the costs! Which makes this a great time to say:

<Let this also be a hint to attendees, that TANSTAAFL is generally in affect at these events. (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) There is no charge to attend, or to eat, but there will be a couple of jars at the sign in table, one for the event, and one for the range. Donations are always graciously accepted!!! >
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to have a source for half pound targets in Michigan but they had a $300 minimum for 100 targets, I'll see if I can round up the contact,  I am exploring a new source for the components MUCH closer to home....:-)
How much did you have in mind? The secret is getting hi quality aluminum powder......been out of work with a wicked bug that involves high fever, and have about three weeks of work to do in the next week....IF I make it to work Monday so no guarantees as we are getting ready for Knob creek again but call me at the shop Monday and give me an idea of quantity and I'll see what I can do.
View Quote
Based on Gentleman's post above, it sounds like we are set for this shoot. However, sources for future shoots would be greatly appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't there a group buy or a local place that sold the right stuff to make it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a group buy or a local place that sold the right stuff to make it?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm thinking so, several years ago, but I forgot who organized it....
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
home made <<< tannerite.

I've had moderate success with using 1# (tanker) of tannerite inside a container, and the home brew stuff on the outside.  This works for me in gallon milk cartons.  Even with this, the home brew / tannerite mixture is less impressive than regular tannerite.  Another way is to have a 1/2 tannerite container in front of the container of home brew.  Duct tape them together and you can do smaller charges.  

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm thinking so, several years ago, but I forgot who organized it....
View Quote
That is where ours came from!

Water bottles are perfect, they provide a big boom...ever better are wide mouth gatorade bottles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
usa chemical supply is an online dealer for a generic version.  Still not as cheap as roll your own, but it is an option for those without the proper ingredients.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Problem with most roll your own is the quality of the Aluminum powder.....600 mesh German Dark produces stellar results......and I am working on getting the formula right for sensitizing down to .22 and pistol caliber.....
View Quote
Good to know. What was the spec on the fertilizer (ammonium nitrate)? I seem to remember that it needed to be something in particular.

Also, as I recall, dampness is your enemy! Can the fertilizer be dried out once it has absorbed moisture?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The owner of Tannerite years ago did direct sales on another gun forum I am on .
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good to know. What was the spec on the fertilizer (ammonium nitrate)? I seem to remember that it needed to be something in particular.

Also, as I recall, dampness is your enemy! Can the fertilizer be dried out once it has absorbed moisture?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem with most roll your own is the quality of the Aluminum powder.....600 mesh German Dark produces stellar results......and I am working on getting the formula right for sensitizing down to .22 and pistol caliber.....

Yes, it can be dried out, but be very careful doing so, as large quantities of ammonium nitrate have exploded without known outside causes before.  A thin level on a baking sheet at the lowest temperature possible for the oven, with the oven door cracked open to let moisture out, should work.  Be aware, the 600 mesh German Dark aluminum is used in a lot of fireworks, particularly for making flash powder, so the BATFE does try to keep track of anybody purchasing large amounts.  Some of the commercial vendors won't sell more than a pound or so a year without proof of having an explosive's license (or at least that was the case when I was hanging out in forums for the folks that make their own fireworks, I never had what I felt was an adequate set of facilities for doing so, so never actually made my own).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top