Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 4:46:06 PM EDT
Off the top, I am old fashion and still have NON SMART TV.  My 50" tv is old enough that it does not have an HDMI input.

Currently I do not have NETFLIX.  There is a movie that will be released exclusively on Netflix that I would like to watch.  So at some point I will have to subscribe to Netflix.

I do have a laptop computer, internet and wifi in my house. :)

How do I get to watch a Netflix movie on my old time TV? what do I need to rig to get the signal from the computer to the tV?  

Please reply/explain in such a way that your 60 year old uncle, grandpa, grandma, aunt can understand.

Thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of inputs does your tv have?  Component Video(Red, Green Blue RCA style connectors)?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  Those kinds. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Roku Express+ has a composite output in addition to HDMI.  It can make your old-fashioned TV into a "smart tv" for $40.  
This is probably no more expensive than a decent VGA to component video converter and saves you the hassle of hooking your laptop up to the TV every time you want to watch a movie.  Just select the input and use the Roku remote control.

I don't believe that Netflix would output High Def over a non-HDMI connection, so you're not losing much in the way of quality over a VGA connection.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sony Blu-ray player has "smart" functionality
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. That roku thing looks promising.  Also the WiFi blue ray player may work if it has the right plugs for my tv.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You could probably find the movie elsewhere and put it on a DVD or USB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a cheap Xbox 360.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could probably find the movie elsewhere and put it on a DVD or USB.
View Quote
Not this movie.  Brand new to be released only through Netflix.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Blu-ray player with smarts is all you need, as previously answered.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a cheap Xbox 360.
View Quote
Xbox 360 only has HDMI out.  OP would still need an adapter.  Xbox is great for netflix though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the movie?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Blu-Ray players with analog outputs (component, svideo, composite) were last built in 2012 due to analog sunset regulations.  They might be hard to find or command premium prices now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the movie?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm curious.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the movie?
Yeah, I'm curious.
@ARstudent

Is the movie Candy Jar or the series Ozark?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
No.

The movie will not be released until may be September.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80067522
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Speaking as your friend, it is time to spend a couple hundred on a smart TV.  The prices have come down so much over the last decade... My guess is you could get a 50 inch for around $300 if you shop around.  Enjoy the various online content available via smart TV's, improved picture over what you have now, etc.  Costco is a great resource.

ETA: 50" pricing
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No.

The movie will not be released until may be September.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80067522
View Quote
Added to my list.

Not sure what part of the city you are in, or if you remember Nickiemoto's. There was a father and son that worked there and they escaped and used to tell stories about it.

Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Added to my list.

Not sure what part of the city you are in, or if you remember Nickiemoto's. There was a father and son that worked there and they escaped and used to tell stories about it.

Thanks for the reply!
View Quote
I remember the restaurant but never been there.  I'm north of the perimeter, way north.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Speaking as your friend, it is time to spend a couple hundred on a smart TV.  The prices have come down so much over the last decade... My guess is you could get a 50 inch for around $300 if you shop around.  Enjoy the various online content available via smart TV's, improved picture over what you have now, etc.  Costco is a great resource.

ETA: 50" pricing
View Quote
Speaking as your fixed income friend, buy me a new tv big daddy :)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember the restaurant but never been there. I'm north of the perimeter, way north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added to my list.

Thanks for the reply!
I remember the restaurant but never been there. I'm north of the perimeter, way north.
So am I

Both locations are long closed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I remember the restaurant but never been there.  I'm north of the perimeter, way north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added to my list.

Thanks for the reply!
You move? Cause I thought I had you beat as far as distance OTP.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#22]
You live in south South Carolina, so you got me beat :)
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, if we get to movie release date and you are still in the stone ages you are welcome to come over for movie night.  I'll sign up for a free Netflix trial assuming they still do that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#24]
VGA and Audio cable it what you're looking for. I have one that I used to work with the computer before upgrading to a tv and comp with HDMI. If you PM me your address, you can have it. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a cheap Xbox 360.
View Quote
or a pawn shop playstation 2.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get a cheap Xbox 360.
View Quote
or a pawn shop playstation 2.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, if we get to movie release date and you are still in the stone ages you are welcome to come over for movie night.  I'll sign up for a free Netflix trial assuming they still do that.
View Quote
Unless both of my large screens die before that date, there will not be any new tv sir.  Thank you.  You and the Mrs. can come watch it on my rigged up playstation45 + VGA cable + Roku triple ought.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
VGA and Audio cable it what you're looking for. I have one that I used to work with the computer before upgrading to a tv and comp with HDMI. If you PM me your address, you can have it. Good luck!
View Quote
Thank you sir.  Where are you located at (general area, not specific)?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Xbox 360 only has HDMI out.  OP would still need an adapter.  Xbox is great for netflix though.
View Quote
The older ones came with a breakout cable with composite and component video connections.  I'll second the Roku Express +.

Actually, I think I still have an old Roku HD.  OP, PM me your address.  If I can find it and confirm it still works I'll send it to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got a Roku TV through Amazon a few weeks ago and I like it a lot so far.  No cable for me right now.  Netflix, Amazon, etc has plenty to watch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:35:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Amazon firestick  or fire tv is the only way to go. I can jailbreak it for you. You can watch almost anything Including Netflix stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Amazon firestick  or fire tv is the only way to go. I can jailbreak it for you. You can watch almost anything Including Netflix stuff.
View Quote
Randy,

I've heard of this. Can you lay out the advantages/ disadvantages of it? Using KODI I assume.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Roku Express+ has a composite output in addition to HDMI.  It can make your old-fashioned TV into a "smart tv" for $40.  
This is probably no more expensive than a decent VGA to component video converter and saves you the hassle of hooking your laptop up to the TV every time you want to watch a movie.  Just select the input and use the Roku remote control.

I don't believe that Netflix would output High Def over a non-HDMI connection, so you're not losing much in the way of quality over a VGA connection.
View Quote
There are HD component cables (I think it's Green/Blue/Red for video, then yellow for audio?), but not sure the resolution. Might only be 720p.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Only disadvantage I see is not having live TV or your program that I upload becoming outdated in 6 months. The computer hackers that make this stuff possible are at it every second making new programs. One thing is you will need high Internet connection speeds. We have 30 mbps and get along fine.

The pros outweigh everything.
No monthly fee for use. 90% of all movies and TV shows are recent and up to date. For instance walking dead comes on Sunday night. I can almost guarantee you can watch it commercial free on Monday night. Movies are great and high quality new movies usually hit within 2 to 6 weeks depending on the movie. The early downloads are totally bootleg but get better as weeks go by. I prefer the fire tv over the stick because it's faster 4k HD and has more storage. You can also plug a wired connection into it.
I think that's about the jist of it.
Anything that you are curious about?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#35]
But you are still paying for Netflix  amazon and hulu.
A firestick loaded wit kodi is free program. You can even watch netfix, amazon, hbo, crave and crackle original shows and movies. All of that plus movies and TV shows subscription free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top