Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 9:33:24 PM EDT
I noticed this tree today down in the swamp on my place. Any idea what it is?Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
In before 14 gajillion guesses.

We would need an arborist to answer, and even then, without a leaf, I'm betting they can't pin it down.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
WAG

tulip tree - Liriodendron

wait for leaves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before 14 gajillion guesses.

We would need an arborist to answer, and even then, without a leaf, I'm betting they can't pin it down.
View Quote
That's kind of what I figured. There were a bunch of smaller trees around this one so I couldn't tell which leaves were from this one. It still had a few leaves on it, but, as you can see from the pic, they were far out of my reach.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WAG

tulip tree - Liriodendron

wait for leaves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron
View Quote
+1.  We have several BIG tulip trees on our property.  They like lower ares with plenty of water. The bark looks just like the OP pics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Bark and canopy aren't right for a tulip poplar. Better description of surrounding area and general area of the state would help narrow it down. I did horticultural work before I became a welder. I have some books I can check later tonight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Does not look like a tulip poplar to me.

It's hard to tell from the pictures.  Can you tell us anything about the leaves on the tree?  Are they lobed or not?  Shape?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bark and canopy aren't right for a tulip poplar. Better description of surrounding area and general area of the state would help narrow it down. I did horticultural work before I became a welder. I have some books I can check later tonight.
View Quote
It's a swamp in Twiggs Co (Middle GA). I dries up some during a drought, but there's always some standing water. I walked across a bunch of fallen trees to get over the water to the dry patch where the tree is. I'll go back down there tonight to see if I can give you any more info.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does not look like a tulip poplar to me.

It's hard to tell from the pictures.  Can you tell us anything about the leaves on the tree?  Are they lobed or not?  Shape?
View Quote
I couldn't tell. The only leaves still on it are way up near the top. There are a bunch of trees around this one, so it's hard to tell which leaves on the ground came from this tree.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Some pics of the base from a distance would help.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My first thought was a black gum, some also call those tupelo trees.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It could be a blackgum.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some pics of the base from a distance would help.
View Quote
I'll get some more pics this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It could be a blackgum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It could be a blackgum.
A pic of the base should confirm this as Tupelos have a very wide base. The bark definitely looks Tupelo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top