Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 12:31:54 AM EDT
Cutting down the buttstock on my old HK-marked Benelli M1.  Stock is hollow; I'll have to cut it down, then fit the piece of plastic to the inside, then screw the buttpad to it.  I could use wood, but prefer a piece of dense, but not brittle plastic.  I'll need to screw through the sides of the stock and into the piece.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
McMaster Carr is on your side of town and should have some Delrin or something. Msc direct might also.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
McMaster Carr is on your side of town and should have some Delrin or something. Msc direct might also.
View Quote

Another vote for McMaster-Carr here.  From the home page, go to Raw Materials -> Plastics -> Sheets, Bars, and Strips.

FYI, they do not have a brick-and-mortar storefront and will call is only done for businesses.  However, I frequently receive orders the very same day I put them in if I've done them before 9 a.m., and I'm in Alpharetta.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cutting down the buttstock on my old HK-marked Benelli M1.  Stock is hollow; I'll have to cut it down, then fit the piece of plastic to the inside, then screw the buttpad to it.  I could use wood, but prefer a piece of dense, but not brittle plastic.  I'll need to screw through the sides of the stock and into the piece.  

Thanks.
View Quote
Instead of a filler piece could you use epoxy and add threaded inserts?  Might add a little weight but going shorter it might help. 
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

If you want to come to my shop in Douglasville I can hook you up. I have drops of several different polymers, UHMW, Polypropylene, nylon, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
A cut and glued polymer cutting board might work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a piece of.......something.   Dense, black, plasticky.   I've got the rough shape cut, now to start fitting it, which for me means rasps and file.   I REALLY need a belt sander, for lots of reasons.  This may make me finally buy one as I'll have to fit the pad as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked up a piece of.......something.   Dense, black, plasticky.   I've got the rough shape cut, now to start fitting it, which for me means rasps and file.   I REALLY need a belt sander, for lots of reasons.  This may make me finally buy one as I'll have to fit the pad as well.
View Quote
Go by harbor freight. I have one if their 1" belt sanders and it does decent. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go by harbor freight. I have one if their 1" belt sanders and it does decent. 
View Quote

Always check the customer reviews online but yeah the harbor freight stuff is usually pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck shaping plastic on a belt sander, you would do better sticking with your rasp. Too much heat is generated on a belt sander and the material you try to remove will melt and weld itself back to the block or quickly clog up the belt. I have had some success with a non-woven silicon carbide abrasive for de-burring and flash removal on plastic but they load up too and stink like hell, use good ventilation and safe shop practices.

Micro-planes do a decent job on polymers, look here: Micro-Plane
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top