Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 9:29:50 PM EDT
If you have a newer SIG P229 with a snail pin as the firing pin positioning pin, you may wanna contact SIG.   If your firing pin positioning pin is a solid pin, no worries.  

Possibly pertains to other models as well, but I cannot say for sure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they wearing prematurely?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea what's the issue that this is supposed to address. Never had a problem with mine, but it's being replaced.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgive my ignorance, but what/where is the firing pin positioning pin?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It's in the slide, behind the breech, goes from side-to-side through the slide.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a one year old p229 combat, it's got a roll pin there. Guess I will contact sig
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My Legion from last year looks like roll pin...

ETA:  I just got off the phone with Sig and the gentlemen told me there was no issue with the P229 roll pin and it is likely a specific request of CMShoot's issuing agency.  No recall or problems noted with the gun.

However, I'm skeptical on Sig's answer given what CMShoot is saying...

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a SIG 229 back when they first came out, and it had a roll pin in the slide instead of a solid pin.  Only problem I ever had with it is I somehow broke a firing pin and had to replace that, but I'm not sure how many thousands of rounds I had through the gun at that point.  Sold it to a coworker almost a decade ago, he's still happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I incorrectly called it a "roll pin". Originally, SIG used a roll pin, then they went to a solid pin, and now they use a snail pin.

I know that in regards to my agency, this is costing SIG a lot of times and money.  Thousands of dollars in shipping costs alone for just my field office.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]

roll/spring pin vs spiral pin

CZ uses a roll/spring pin for their retaining pin which can suffer damage from repeated dry firing without a snap cap.  Not sure if that is the issue Shep's agency is seeing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
SIG started with a 2-piece roll pin and switched to a much more expensive solid pin with an enlarged, splined head on the left side.  They wouldn't have switched to a more expensive pin if there wasn't a problem with the roll pin. There were issues with the center price of the 2-piece roll pin breaking and/or walking out under use, I do believe.

Years later, they switched from the more expensive solid pin to a snail pin, which is not the same as a roll pin.  A snail pin (there are other names for it as well) is of one-piece construction.......it's just coiled up around itself.   In most applications, it's a good, solid piece.  Works just fine, and cheaper than the solid pin with the splined head.

In my agency, all the replacing is being done at HQ-level, using SIG factory Armorer's that they are sending over just to do this work.  They're keeping it as quiet as possible and not saying much about it.  Personally, in my office we have not seen an issue with the firing pin positioning pin, AFAIK.  There is more than one possible issue with the snail type pin, amongst them:
1.  breaking
2.  walking out due to size fluctuation
3.  springs catching on a sharp edge of the pin and causing misfires

Again, I have not personally seen any of these issues, but other LE Armorers that I know have reported it and SIG is going through a lot of trouble to replace the pins with the older, solid pin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top