Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 1:22:38 PM EDT
Was issued a new P229 recently.  Some have Meprolight sights, some Trijicons.......mine has Meprolights.  Soon after I got it, the front sight quit glowing.  It was glowing over the weekend, and on Monday it wasn't.  

Called Meprolight about getting a replacement.  Only way to get a free one was to send the messed up one back.  That wasn't gonna work.....I kinda need a front sight.  So I had to pay for one.  They cut me a discount on the sight, but it still irked me.  

Got the new one in and then mailed them the shitty old one so I'd have a spare.  Good thing that I did because a five months later the replacement front sight went out.  

I swapped it with my spare front sight and ordered a set of Trijicon sights.  I'll never use Meprolight again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with Mepro.  Used Trijicons for years with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Aren't they all Trijicon vials?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a set of Meprolights on a Glock that have been there to the point of being close to dead , They are pushing 12 years +
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive the ignorance, but wouldn't it have been easier to go back to the agency that issued you the P229 and let them deal with it?  No reason you should have to pay for sights on a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgive the ignorance, but wouldn't it have been easier to go back to the agency that issued you the P229 and let them deal with it?  No reason you should have to pay for sights on a duty weapon.
View Quote

Cheaper.....yes.  Easier.......no.

I am an Armorer for my agency, but they don't have replacement sights at the field office level, and they will not send us any.  Only way I could have had the sights replaced through my agency is to overnight my handgun to HQ, where they will replace the sight(s), test fire, and overnight it back.  Best case scenario is 3 days.  During those 3 days I would have to carry a spare weapon from the armory, which isn't set up the same way as mine.  In addition to this, I hate the almost $200 total round trip cost that the government pays for shipping my gun back and forth.  Waste of taxpayers' money.

So, easiest way to take care of the issue is for me to buy a set of sights and put them on.  No shipping back and forth, I don't have to carry a spare weapon, and I'll write the Trijicons off on my taxes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
People always say for optics buy once cry once. For handgun night sights Trijicon vials and their mounting system in your irons of choice and DONE the end PERIOD.

NOW that said the sights that are on the base model VP9's the photoluminescent sights I love them. NOT actual night sights but they work for me. When I get the tax money back I am going to get some Heine Straight 8's with trijicon inserts for both the VP9's.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Meprolight is imported by the Mako Group who was banned from arfcom for screwing over customers if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm running Truglo TFX's and TFO's on all my handguns. No issues yet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aren't they all Trijicon vials?
View Quote

Nope.  Meprolight is the only company I've been able to discern that doesn't use Trijicon vials.   There may be others.

Trijicon doesn't make their own vials, they have a sole-supplier contract with a Swiss company that actually makes them.   Supposedly that company can only sell those vials to Trijicon.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meprolight is imported by the Mako Group who was banned from arfcom for screwing over customers if that tells you anything.
View Quote

Yep. Several members had problem with Meprolight Red dot sights and Mako didn't do anything, if I remember right. I avoid Meprolight after seeing that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the PSA and saving us a few hundred dollars.
I haven't had problems with meprolight in the past and I will never have a problem in the future because I will never buy another pair.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I think this is who provides GLOCK with their vials.

But at least GLOCK provides a 15 year warranty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top