Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 8:37:18 PM EDT
The wife and I are going to spend a long weekend this weekend in a condo on St Simons Island. I know its off season and cool, but still its a get away and new destination for us. What is there to see and do nearby for us general lazy tourists. (I don't play golf or deep sea fish.) Any good oyster bars or good local seafood restaurants that are reasonable and not tourist traps? We LOVE steamed oysters. Is there anything worth driving down to Jekyll island for? Any unique shops?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Southern Soul BBQ!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Southern Soul BBQ!
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Southern Soul BBQ!

This.

So worth going back for thirds.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
What to eat:
Southern Soul, Halyards (date night), Catch 228 for oysters (get deep water, about $2/per but much bigger and better), Trimici's for Italian (same owner as Halyards, little cheaper but incredible food), Barbara Jeans if you want to go back and take a nap to let your food settle ;)

UPDATED: I left off CrabDaddy's. They have some good eats too.

What to do:
If you want to see stuff, Canon's Point, Fort Frederica are interesting if you've not seen them. Instead of Jekylll (if you've already seen it all over there), you might ride up to Darien and check that area out. Some good places to eat up there too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What to eat:
Southern Soul, Halyards (date night), Catch 228 for oysters (get deep water, about $2/per but much bigger and better), Trimici's for Italian (same owner as Halyards, little cheaper but incredible food), Barbara Jeans if you want to go back and take a nap to let your food settle ;)

What to do:
If you want to see stuff, Canon's Point, Fort Frederica are interesting if you've not seen them. Instead of Jekylll (if you've already seen it all over there), you might ride up to Darien and check that area out. Some good places to eat up there too.
View Quote

Thank you!

To all, is there anything interesting in Brunswick, and what is there to do in Darien, besides the restaurants?

Being out of state, I can't buy guns, but is there any really interesting gun stores in the area?

Any lunch spots that serve great fried shrimp or a great blackened fresh fish sandwich?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Ft King George in Darien is interesting even though the reconstructed fort is in the wrong place.

I've always enjoyed eating at the Sand Castle on St Simons.  It's a wonderful "old Georgia" kind of place to have a good meal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Leaving tomorrow. Any places to avoid, IE Tourist Traps

TIA
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Bennies red barn steak house. Go, it's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Thought I would give an AAR on the trip to St Simon's Island.

Stayed at Seagate Inn;
The good: nicely decorated suite rooms, Well maintained grounds. Responsive staff. Our room had a very nice ocean view.
The bad: lamp missing a light bulb, one overhead ceiling lamp burned out and toilet paper holder falling of the wall through no fault of ours. It was just loose. Staff took care of that. The other bad is paper thin walls and ceilings. Upstairs occupant kept sliding furniture around day and night and it sounded like it was in the room with us due to the Tiled Floors. Could hear movement and toilet/shower noise next door too.

To Do: Not a whole lot if you are not a golfer. Did the Mallory St. "Downtown" and light house area. Did Redfern Village and Fort Frederica site. The Coast Guard bldg museum was closed.

Restaurants, breakfast: Did Sandcastle all 3 mornings because the Breakfast buffet was sooo good, and reasonably priced for everything you get.
Lunch and Dinner. Did Southern Soul BBQ the first night, and wow its good; bought a bottle of the Ga. spicy red BBQ sauce to bring home. Did Iguanas for lunch and had really great Buffalo'd fried shrimp, and enjoyed the complimentary soft serve ice cream bar. Did Barbara Jeans that night. It was just OK, not great, not terrible. The blackened crab cake I had was lacking flavor, even though it had crab meat in it, and it was served with Tarter sauce instead of remoulade. The Buffalo'd shrimp we got there were almost cold and the buffalo sauce tasted like watered down Texas Pete with thickener added. The next day, we ate lunch at the Marshside Grill in Brunswick on the way back from a quick checkout of Jekyll Island. We had really great Firecracker shrimp there and OK fish Tacos. Don't care for the thick sliced, battered and fried "spuds". That night we ate and enjoyed the first half of the Superbowl at  Half Shell at the Pier. We were going to Blackwater Grill but Blackwater was only doing a limited buffet. At Half Shell we had some great steamed Oysters, and blackened Mahi and Crabcakes. All were very good, and we got excellent attentive service from our waitress. Good margaritas too.

A 4 day/3night stay was long enough for us to our fill of the area. We did enjoy our time there. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top