Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2017 11:18:03 PM EDT
Has anyone dealt with these people around the Georgia area? Unfortunately I have them for Internet it's the only Internet service that services my neighborhood. We have the top speed they offer which is 50mb download and 2upload via DSL. We had nothing but problems/issues with our Internet going in and out and dropping speeds like its nothing. We had two service guys come out all they did was switch out the box and blame my gaming computer saying it's the issue. They wouldn't run any test on the lines that were installed their technicians ran inside of the house or would give us new ethernet cables to see if that fixes the issue. Right now the issue we are seeing is really bad CRC errors which means either bad ethernet port on the Arris modem or a bad ethernet cable even when I spoke with the technician on the phone they claim the techs should have check the lines through the wall and ethernet cable this is what they are trained for. Also the techs that came to do the service call didn't know how to login in to the Arris modem or change the channel number to a higher one. To me it seems like it something to do with the modem, ethernet cable or something in the lines either outside in their box or in the house.

- Jamie   
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone dealt with these people around the Georgia area? Unfortunately I have them for Internet it's the only Internet service that services my neighborhood. We have the top speed they offer which is 50mb download and 2upload via DSL. We had nothing but problems/issues with our Internet going in and out and dropping speeds like its nothing. We had two service guys come out all they did was switch out the box and blame my gaming computer saying it's the issue. They wouldn't run any test on the lines that were installed their technicians ran inside of the house or would give us new ethernet cables to see if that fixes the issue. Right now the issue we are seeing is really bad CRC errors which means either bad ethernet port on the Arris modem or a bad ethernet cable even when I spoke with the technician on the phone they claim the techs should have check the lines through the wall and ethernet cable this is what they are trained for. Also the techs that came to do the service call didn't know how to login in to the Arris modem or change the channel number to a higher one. To me it seems like it something to do with the modem, ethernet cable or something in the lines either outside in their box or in the house.

- Jamie   
View Quote

Probably a few problems:

1.) Uses the old copper from telephone lines so its automatically up on phone poles and insulated for crap....plus DLS has always been problematic from the day it was invented.
2.) You are hooked into a big thing called a "DSLAM" and it aggregates all the users together in a given area and they basically share bandwidth upstream from that.  So during hours when people aren't home like the middle of the day it probably runs fine.  But get to what I'm guessing is after 4-6 pm and it goes down the shitter for bandwidth till 11pm-1am because everyone is on.

Hate to say it....but you are fucked for as long as you have to use Windstream.  They are one of the worst services I've ever seen for reliability.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably a few problems:

1.) Uses the old copper from telephone lines so its automatically up on phone poles and insulated for crap....plus DLS has always been problematic from the day it was invented.
2.) You are hooked into a big thing called a "DSLAM" and it aggregates all the users together in a given area and they basically share bandwidth upstream from that.  So during hours when people aren't home like the middle of the day it probably runs fine.  But get to what I'm guessing is after 4-6 pm and it goes down the shitter for bandwidth till 11pm-1am because everyone is on.

Hate to say it....but you are fucked for as long as you have to use Windstream.  They are one of the worst services I've ever seen for reliability.
View Quote

That is what I am finding out from tech support to find out there is a big network trouble in my area to a 50 mile radius due to a gateway server for Internet being faulty. So hopefully by this Monday they have this issue fix from what the tech told me when he looked at the trouble ticket that was reported three days ago by someone else. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Windstream is terrible. They offer a whopping 1mb DSL connection with outrageous pricing. We just use a mobile hotspot and try and be frugal with our usage.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
We have windstream......utter crap service.  Internet drops out any time it rains heavy.  Slow speeds, outrageous prices and when it fails there is usually a 5-7 day wait for repairs.  Comcast ran a new line on my road a few months ago.  The comcast is 3x faster, includes TV, and an alarm system for less $$$$$ per month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
We tried Windstream in Canton GA area - it was terrible.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm stuck with Shitstream in my area. It's so bad my wife has said if we ever move there has to be another internet option or we won't go there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm stuck with Shitstream in my area. It's so bad my wife has said if we ever move there has to be another internet option or we won't go there.
View Quote

My experience as well, including the wife's requirements.  

Wind stream can eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Service is still up and down. Can't believe they still want to blame my gaming computer for their crappy service for going down. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Service is still up and down. Can't believe they still want to blame my gaming computer for their crappy service for going down. 
View Quote

Hell man, if that is the worst they ever do to you then youre getting off easy.

There are nights when speedtest.net won't even load at my house. Here is what I am pulling on Sunday night at 7:55PM. Bear in mind we pay for 6 down. I could pay for 25 down, but the figures below is all we would get.

This is consistent, every day. After 7-8 years of it you won't even be pissed anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
There are 3rd world country ISPs that rate higher than Windstream, especially on customer service.  I am not exaggerating.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My employees work from home, all in North Georgia. Any condemned to use Windstream have never been lucky enough to have as good service as you are bragging about.

Just move.  Find another way. Run screaming.  NOW!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife worked for them for some time. Quit because of grossly unethical practices.
There is some kind of federal investigation going on with them if I'm not mistaken. If you don't mind sharing, where are you located? I managed to switch to Appalachian broadband. 25mb up and down, but line of sight only.
I paid for 10mbps at wimdscream and only got 1.5 at best! Fuck Windstream!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hell man, if that is the worst they ever do to you then youre getting off easy.

There are nights when speedtest.net won't even load at my house. Here is what I am pulling on Sunday night at 7:55PM. Bear in mind we pay for 6 down. I could pay for 25 down, but the figures below is all we would get.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5949622321.png

This is consistent, every day. After 7-8 years of it you won't even be pissed anymore.
View Quote

We are suppose to be getting 50mb down and 4mb upload and we are always getting 1.50mb upload or some what slower no matter what time of day it is. I just hope they get their stuff fixed!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wife worked for them for some time. Quit because of grossly unethical practices.
There is some kind of federal investigation going on with them if I'm not mistaken. If you don't mind sharing, where are you located? I managed to switch to Appalachian broadband. 25mb up and down, but line of sight only.
View Quote

I'm located in South Byron..We have Cox cable services in the area but they are only located in certain areas of Byron which sucks. All the techs from Windstream is reset the modem/unplug the power cord and not run a diagnostic test on the modem but some of the techs over the phone do see the CRC errors/droppings by either something in the lines, ethernet port on the modem or bad ethernet cable. The last tech I spoke with claims we are close to the central hub for my neighborhood in which is a good thing he stated that is why my neighborhood received the 50mb download upgrade. I wish they upgraded the upload speed as well so this b/s of an issue gets resolved. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my area, NE, they took 10's of millions of dollars to run fiber for rural internet access and proceeded to only run it for commercial clients, IE cell towers. As far as I can tell they didn't leave a single tap point where any non commercial customers can connect. I know our congressman Collins got an earful over it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]
We're in Jasper and have 25M service (the highest they offer here).

Lots of problems with the service dropping in/out.  Service was out for 5 days between Christmas and the end of the year.  They couldn't fix it remotely and the 'best' they could schedule for a service call was Jan 7th.  

The service mysteriously came back so they cancelled the service call.  Said they won't come out unless the service is actually down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm located in South Byron..We have Cox cable services in the area but they are only located in certain areas of Byron which sucks. All the techs from Windstream is reset the modem/unplug the power cord and not run a diagnostic test on the modem but some of the techs over the phone do see the CRC errors/droppings by either something in the lines, ethernet port on the modem or bad ethernet cable. The last tech I spoke with claims we are close to the central hub for my neighborhood in which is a good thing he stated that is why my neighborhood received the 50mb download upgrade. I wish they upgraded the upload speed as well so this b/s of an issue gets resolved. 
View Quote
Ohhh yeah, Appalachian isn't operating in that area. That sucks. Maybe call your congress critter and get them involved. Seems to work for some!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In my area, NE, they took 10's of millions of dollars to run fiber for rural internet access and proceeded to only run it for commercial clients, IE cell towers. As far as I can tell they didn't leave a single tap point where any non commercial customers can connect. I know our congressman Collins got an earful over it.
View Quote

The owner of a LGS here, had the same problem with Windstream. He had a buddy who knew about the federal issue they are dealing with and put him in touch with his congressman. 30 minutes later, a Windstream tech called the LGS owner and an hour after that, he was getting the full 4mbps he was paying for. Funny how that works. Nobody even came out to his shop - they did it all remotely. Almost as if they are throttling people (which I know they are). The fucking windstream call center down the road from us, sucks up most of the damn bandwidth in this area! I paid for 10mbps, but never got more than 1.5. Windstream can go fly a kite, unless they run fiber to my house.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just hope they get their stuff fixed!!!!!
View Quote
Do NOT think they will EVER fix anything.  I have watched their incompetence for too many years.  Hopefully, ETC (Ellijay Telephone) can take over Windscream and run it in the professional manner that they conduct their current business.  Call ETC and BEG!  We got a couple of neighbors to agree to use them and they ran cable down our road, along with REAL Internet:

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Earlier today I got a phone call from a head in the chain for Windstream their sending a technician this Thursday to get to the bottom of the issue with what is going on. She reviewed the notes and she's even concerned with the CRC errors and signal issues in their service lines she claims it's not our end. I asked her could it be my gaming computer when I game online she said no or any of our computers that causing this issue. She thinks its either a line some where in the box outside for them, inside our walls, Arris modem or Ethernet cable. I tried three different cables and still saw really CRC errors in the modem settings. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Just dumped Comcast for fiber... ahhh, free at last!

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just dumped Comcast for fiber... ahhh, free at last!

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/1927126769.png
View Quote

Ha same here.  Love it, Comcast called to ask why I dropped them and I really wish I hadn't been at work to tell them in great length and detail about how much they suck.

As far as windstream, yup they have a captive audience of consumers in relatively low density areas.  The cost of running new lines is a barrier to entry for many ISPs.  

OP I would post in DSL reports, http://www.dslreports.com/, those guys might be able to get you some help or at least give you an indication of what might be happening on your end to pass along to the windstream techs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#23]
With Windstream, the only windstream is between their left and right ears...
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Fuck Windstream.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive had windstream since I've lived in Jackson County. Its always been a nightmare. They have a monopoly on this area. I know downtown Hoschton has Charter, but nobody else. I think I read that the Arcade government was getting either Charter or Comcast, but the citizens won't. There are many neighborhoods that have cable lines run through them, but nobody can get a cable provider to come here. Its awful.  I guarantee if Charter or Comcast actually put an interest in this county, they would make so much money. Windstream would lose every bit of business here. I tend to think sometimes that some county commissioner is getting his pockets stuffed. Same reason why we don't have a Chickfila actually inside of the County. But thats a different story...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Well the technician came out today..He ran a network test from the hub down the street from my neighborhood to my house he claimed we are over the yards limit to qualify for 50mb download so we had to be bumped down to 25mb download. Windstream customer service gave my father one heck of a nice credit for the run around and etc.  So hopefully soon they'll bump up the upload speeds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Local Windstream office a year or so ago...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
They are the only game in town.  Service and speeds are fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck Windstream.
View Quote
WS tech just left my house. Internet went out yesterday, called service last night. Tech found problem at the pole, he switched wires to house. Went inside to check, now I had dial tone but no internet.
He basically told me that WS scrambled my modem after I called in reporting no service.
Funny thing is, a few months ago, I had a problem with the net service, WS rep told me over the phone that I had to buy a new combo modem/router from them for $120ish to get service back on.
I found a old WS box at the office that fixed the problem, and now they apparently "scrambled" it according to their Tech, who may or may not have hooked me up with a box.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I had Windstream for around 7 years, and the service was pretty good....only problem was the 3mgb max speed.  They had to run over 900' of buried cable to just to get to my house, and I accidentally cut it over the summer....they came out and replaced it again, free of charge (they knew it wasn't buried deep enough).  

I finally dumped them when I found out I could get fiber optic, now I have 34mgb for the same price (just no home phone).
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ive had windstream since I've lived in Jackson County. Its always been a nightmare. They have a monopoly on this area. I know downtown Hoschton has Charter, but nobody else. I think I read that the Arcade government was getting either Charter or Comcast, but the citizens won't. There are many neighborhoods that have cable lines run through them, but nobody can get a cable provider to come here. Its awful.  I guarantee if Charter or Comcast actually put an interest in this county, they would make so much money. Windstream would lose every bit of business here. I tend to think sometimes that some county commissioner is getting his pockets stuffed. Same reason why we don't have a Chickfila actually inside of the County. But thats a different story...
View Quote

I'm in Hoschton and I have the option of windstream, charter or comcast.

I'm with comcast, but it sucks(not as much as some of you guys situation though ). Pay for a 50mb connection and get 8 on a night light tonight and if I'm lucky I can get 15-20.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Since we're talking internet service providers I've a question. I'm in rural paulding county and both my neighbors gave Comcast. I've been told by Comcast that they can't provide me with service with no reason given. I'm assuming it's because I'm about 1000' off the road. AT&T says sure 17 mgb is doable at your house. Tech comes out and fastest he can get on old twisted pair us 1 mgb. New cable ran and speed doubled to 2 mgb. So at&t says that's the best we can do and your bill will be $50 a month, so I tell them no dice. What else us available?  Is satellite internet still a thing?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since we're talking internet service providers I've a question. I'm in rural paulding county and both my neighbors gave Comcast. I've been told by Comcast that they can't provide me with service with no reason given. I'm assuming it's because I'm about 1000' off the road. AT&T says sure 17 mgb is doable at your house. Tech comes out and fastest he can get on old twisted pair us 1 mgb. New cable ran and speed doubled to 2 mgb. So at&t says that's the best we can do and your bill will be $50 a month, so I tell them no dice. What else us available?  Is satellite internet still a thing?  
View Quote

Yeah it's a thing but be sure of what you are buying...

My dad had sat internet and he couldn't watch youtube video's more than a couple times a day or they'd cap his speed at below dial up. It worked but was pretty horrible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can foot the bill to run the coax cable...it gets expensive
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5986779857

Well, I can't get the image to post, but that link is a MiFi setting on my desk down here in Waycross.

That's not the "Enhanced LTE" like in North GA, just plain old 4G LTE, but it ain't bad especially considering that my AT&T DSL locally was about 3 meg down and 1, at most, up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I had Windstream for 10 years and it worked. It wasn't the fastest, but it was the fastest we could get. I was fairly pleased with it. Then the last 9 months happened. Since my move they've:

-It took 3 months of me calling them for them to stop billing me after I moved.

(All of this has been in the last 2 weeks. I've probably spent 10+ hours on the phone with them in that time.)
-They told me they could provide DSL to my new location, then they couldn't, then they could, then they couldn't. I took off a day of work for the installer to call me with the news at almost 4pm the last time.
-Canceled my order for phone service at the new house. Then told me they couldn't do phone service to my location. They later said they could.
-The installer got his truck stuck twice in my ditch. I pulled him out with my tractor the first time.
-Billed me for an entire month of service for a period of 7 days for internet I can't get and Dish service that I had already paid.
-Billed me for an entire month of service for a phone line I've had for just over a week.

I'm done. I'm cancelling my service today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]

I fought Windstream for years. When we first bought our property and built ten years ago, all we could get was dial up. Then 1mb windstream, then 3 and then 6. After a while of paying for 6, I was consistently getting 0.1mb. I raised hell for months, and got the run around. Complained with the States Attorney General, BBB and anyone else who would listen, and suddenly they had 25mb available in my area. Guy came out and installed and it's been pretty good ever since. I really can't complain at this point, especially because I live out in the boonies.

ETA: Windstream is my ONLY choice. Satellite is not an option with two daughters (one teen) and Netflix since they have data caps. My 13 year old would burn through any data cap in an hour.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#38]
The service they offer 25mb download and 1.5 download has been okay nothing to ride home about. The service went down twice this week for a unknown issue they claim. They did away with the 50mb download offer in my neighborhood since it doesn't work that well here but my neighborhood is about two minute drive from the main junction box for their stuff. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Boy, after reading this thread I can't wait to become a Windstream customer in April.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Ours was just upgraded to 16 MB download/1.5 up and it's been working good.  Before that it was awful.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Boy, after reading this thread I can't wait to become a Windstream customer in April.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/Headshot-132767.gif
View Quote

Trust me you'll be like...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Just saw on facebook where a law firm is seeking current customers for a class action lawsuit against windstream.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/Headshot-132767.gif
View Quote

Oh yeah, you'll be in absolute heaven!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Still having the issue where the Internet goes out when it wants to...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just saw on facebook where a law firm is seeking current customers for a class action lawsuit against windstream.
View Quote

sweet where do I get my check for $3.97?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#46]
SATELLITE: Know that the down speed can be great.  What bites is the latency, which is the time it takes for the packets to get from ground to satellite and back to ground at the service send.  That slows thing down so interactive stuff is way slower.  Basic web browsing might be fine, but anything more dynamic can be annoyingly slow.  Try satellite before you commit, or have a trial period to make sure it works for you.  Those satellites are WAY far away, and even at the speed of light, the radio waves take a LONG time to go back and forth...
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad has Windstream in Byron. He's always bitching about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#48]
There's a law firm advertising on Facebook to sue Windstream in Stephens and Franklin county, I wish them success.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#50]
There has been since this morning about three to four work trucks around my neighborhood and down the street on the main road riding around the area...Not sure what their doing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top