Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 9:46:43 PM EDT
Are there any local aac folks left or is it all in Alabama? I've got an element that I hate the tapered end cap.

Wondering if you guys think it's worth paying to upgrade it (if it's even still available) or should I just take that money and put it toward buying another 22 can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No. no one left.
Yes it's worth it.  
No they don't offer the upgrade anymore.
Red loctite that rear mount.
Buy another can.
I'd never give them another dollar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. no one left.
Yes it's worth it.  
Buy another can.
View Quote

Why would you never give them another dollar? I haven't read hardly anything on here, positive or negative about them in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why would you never give them another dollar? I haven't read hardly anything on here, positive or negative about them in awhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. no one left.
Yes it's worth it.  
Buy another can.

Because I'm a bitter and vengeful person.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. no one left.
Yes it's worth it.  
Buy another can.

Also because there are tons of companies that have better customer service and far superior technology....at better prices on average.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. no one left.
Yes it's worth it.  
Buy another can.

Listen to the man, just buy another can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. no one left.

Yes it's worth it.  

Buy another can.

Well, he used to work for them, prior to their being bought out, and was given a choice of moving to Alabama or losing his job...  Might be one (or two) reasons he's not overly fond of them these days.  I know I'm not overly fond of many of my former employers, which is WHY they're former employers...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Freedom Group is where good companies go to die and crush the souls of those who made them good companies.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are there any local aac folks left or is it all in Alabama? I've got an element that I hate the tapered end cap.

Wondering if you guys think it's worth paying to upgrade it (if it's even still available) or should I just take that money and put it toward buying another 22 can.
View Quote

I had the upgrade done to mine when they offered it for free.  It's ok and more asthetically pleasing.  It wasn't a pain for me to keep a set of baby channel locks in my range bag to take the mount off the host if it started to come unscrewed from the tube.  

I liked AAC before it was what it is now.  Their customer service is still ok in my experience.  They're replacing my bulged TiRant9 for a 45m for 'free' (I pay stamps).  I probably won't buy anything else from them though.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I was never a big fan , Had some personal differences with Kevin . He took his internet commando persona too far and threatened me and wanted a face to face at the Red Hill shoot years before they were involved in sponsoring the shoot . He brought his posse  (yes he brought 4 guys to stand around behind him while we talked ) Kevin had to admit I was right and they had shit customer service but he was upset that I made it public .   He was also banned from subguns for shilling his products years before his ban here for suing a member for slander . Not IKH              

. (I kick Hippies) made me a little bit of a fan and then left the company .  I have some of their products and a T-shirt . I don't see me buying more .
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Um...bro. I've never been sued by KB. Maybe someone else?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think he meant you made him a bit of a fan of the company.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

i read it as kevin was banned and you made him a temp fan
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.  I went to public school.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way he wrote it, putting your name in quotes right after the lawsuit statement, threw me off too. I had to reread it to comprende . . .

The only thing I miss is Rachel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me see if I can improve this . I went to public schools also. One of my spaces went away when I hit enter and it ran together . I know you were not sued . Kevin sued a member here at Ar15 .
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The only thing I miss is Rachel.
View Quote

You ain't the only one brother.  One of the hardest workers and genuinely great people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Came here to post the Freedom Group comment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep i am a little torn about their stuff and their reputation. I have SND-6 that has been 100% great. Locks up tight on all my mounts. I would like a smaller 5.56 can and i am tempted to just do a Mini-4 or something, Keep all my mounts the same, decent specs and relatively inexpensive.

I dont really want a mixture of mounts and dont really want to give up my SND6 when it works great for my needs. But i feel much more confident about the CS of the many Silencerco/SWR products i own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two Mini 4s.

I run one on a 7.5" post sample and it does great. Blast baffle is starting to show some wear though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep i am a little torn about their stuff and their reputation. I have SND-6 that has been 100% great. Locks up tight on all my mounts. I would like a smaller 5.56 can and i am tempted to just do a Mini-4 or something, Keep all my mounts the same, decent specs and relatively inexpensive.

I dont really want a mixture of mounts and dont really want to give up my SND6 when it works great for my needs. But i feel much more confident about the CS of the many Silencerco/SWR products i own.
View Quote

Yeah this was exactly my thoughts too, that's why I asked my question.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swr etc is the same boat for supporting its older products. I have a trident and mounts are not easy to track down at times.

My advice is make a deal for every mount you could imagine needing when you buy the can. Push to have the dealer give you a good price on the package since the mounts are usually high markup compared to the can. He makes more money than if he just sold the can, and you are insulated from the mfr deciding not to support it.

Of course my headaches are 100% created by the regulations. If there wasn't a 200$ tax I'd sell the trident and buy the latest greatest can and not even think about it. In the same sense the manufactures should respect that we are married to the cans and unlikely to upgrade every time a new model comes out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are set of staying with AAC mounts then you have already answered your own question.

I also wanted a shorter 5.56 can and ended up going with the SilencerCo SpecwarK 556.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also because there are tons of companies that have better customer service and far superior technology....at better prices on average.
View Quote

Far superior is a heck of a stretch.

Maybe in mounting systems but as far as actual suppression goes, the 5 year old AAC stuff still beats almost everything
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe in mounting systems but as far as actual suppression goes, the 5 year old AAC stuff still beats almost everything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beats almost anything....is a bit of a stretch there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Serious question. What other manufacturers and products are superior to AAC? Please be specific.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I too dispute the "Far Superior" comments. For being 5-10 year old technology they still sure do sound better than a lot most out there. But can they be beat? Sure. But by an inch or two, not by a mile. Only so much you can do with a cylinder filled with gas.

Quoted:
Serious question. What other manufacturers and products are superior to AAC? Please be specific.
View Quote

Serious answers. See below.

AAC vs. Competitor
M4-2000: Recce 5 or SRD556QD
762-SDN-6 : Recce 7, Sandman-S, One, SRD762QD, Razor, Ultra 7
762-SD: Sandman-L, Specwar 762, Ultra 9, Surge
Tirant 45M: Obsidian, Ghost M
Element 2: Mask, 22TD, SPectre II

Again, even a slight edge matters. But none of these products is twice as good as the AAC cans listed.

But what do I know........
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I too dispute the "Far Superior" comments. For being 5-10 year old technology they still sure do sound better than a lot most out there. But can they be beat? Sure. But by an inch or two, not by a mile. Only so much you can do with a cylinder filled with gas.

AAC vs. Competitor

Again, even a slight edge matters. But none of these products is twice as good as the AAC cans listed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AAC vs. Competitor

Some of those folks are twice as likely to support you in a few years though. That's more important to me than shaving decibels. Also why I bought a fort knox safe when there are many more secure, cheaper, etc options.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some of those folks are twice as likely to support you in a few years though. That's more important to me than shaving decibels. Also why I bought a fort knox safe when there are many more secure, cheaper, etc options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

AAC vs. Competitor

Sorry.  I can't prove what will happen in 2 years. No one can.

But I can prove my statements above. It's not about emotion. It's strictly fact based.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Nothing from nothing, but the M4 2000 is still one hell of a good can.

Considering how old it is, the can is still a peer can to the latest Surefire, KAC, and similar cans.

Yeah, the mount...ZOMG...the mount.

I have 6 rifles and one M42K.  It swaps perfectly across the mounts.  Yeah, there is a minor wobble until it carbons up but it is nothing.  I tested zero shift like crazy and the defining issue was whether the barrel was threaded concentric to the bore, not the wobble.

On rifles where I had ADCO thread...almost zero POI shift.  On factory guns...about 2 MOA shift @ 100 yards.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still the best 556 can of the 4 that I personally own. Also my first can. From Mark at PSI.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Still the best 556 can of the 4 that I personally own. Also my first can. From Mark at PSI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still on my " must have" list.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I know there is better stuff than the AAC. But considering price, the mounts i have and overall performance the mini4 or M4 2000 are still very attractive. I would feel better about buying a Silencerco can. I have a bunch of those and they have been great to deal with. I think my next can will be the Hybrid. But after that i would really like a smaller lighter 5.56 can. I keep coming back to the M4 2000 or the Mini4. I have no real interest in all the politics about AAC. I have no interest in defending them or saying they are still good or they are crap. Just stating that to me some of their products are still reliant. But i have no problem if others say they are not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#34]
slightly off topic, but  have any of you guys compared the performance of the sd-556 to the m42k?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
slightly off topic, but  have any of you guys compared the performance of the sd-556 to the m42k?
View Quote

I know a little something about them.  

Essentially the 556-SD is a MOD 08 M4-2000 core in a plainer tube.  

In 2014 the M4-2K was changed to have a vented blast baffle.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#36]
What " mod " are the current m42k ?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#37]
How much  of the AAC success was Kevin vs. How much was it those around him?  

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What " mod " are the current m42k ?
View Quote

They were never given an actual designation. But the vented BB was added in 2014. It was designed as an in line change and shaved off about 2dB's.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How much  of the AAC success was Kevin vs. How much was it those around him?  

View Quote

Kevin is the engine . . . he's the charismatic leader with vision and the ability to attract smart people but he owes the design/development/manufacturing of the silencers to a handful of guys he hired.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Sure didn't turn out the way I wanted either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top