Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 10:16:47 AM EDT

Job opening for AS/400 RPG programmer (any PHP skills a plus)
If you know anyone, this is full time, work from home, with a 14 year old, small, stable, growing, company.  Prefer local person within an hour of Cherokee county.  Contact at

c3  at  curbstone  dot  com

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot an RPG does that count
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need someone to take transcriptions in sanskrit as well? ;-)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you know anyone, this is full time, work from home, with a 14 year old, small, stable, growing, company.  Prefer local person within an hour of Cherokee county.  Contact at c3  at  curbstone  dot  com

Thanks!

View Quote
When you said AS400 programmer, I Imagined a fellow with a long white beard.  When I saw who posted it, I hae to admit I chuckled a bit.  :)

Good luck on the search.  :)

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
last time i saw one of those was a very long time ago, running mapics, 8x24 monitor and a clicky keyboard (i still use clicky keboards and have 4).

are they still a 'mini-computer' type setup?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

last time i saw one of those was a very long time ago, running mapics, 8x24 monitor and a clicky keyboard (i still use clicky keboards and have 4).

are they still a 'mini-computer' type setup?
View Quote

OS/400 now runs on the same hardware as AIX (or Linux for Power), I actually still have two systems at work licensed to run it, but no OS/400 partitions were ever created on them.  It could be added to some of the other systems we have, but there's no reason to anymore, everything got migrated over a decade ago.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Sent it to my dad. He is a php and rpg guy..
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've shot an RPG does that count
View Quote
Only if it was to obliterate a computer to cover your tracks after writing some really BAD code.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you need someone to take transcriptions in sanskrit as well? ;-)
View Quote
LOL, the current perception, certainly.  And programmers are getting harder to find.  Young kids don't realize what a great Operating System it is, with native support for Java and PHP, as well as a killer c compiler.  We use RPG/free which is a c-like free form format now.  And the machines are more stable than any OS in the world.  We realized that we had not rebooted one of our boxes for about a year and a half...  They just RUN.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When you said AS400 programmer, I Imagined a fellow with a long white beard.  When I saw who posted it, I hae to admit I chuckled a bit.  :)  Good luck on the search.  :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you know anyone...

When you said AS400 programmer, I Imagined a fellow with a long white beard.  When I saw who posted it, I hae to admit I chuckled a bit.  :)  Good luck on the search.  :)
I resemble that remark!  ROFL

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

last time i saw one of those was a very long time ago, running mapics, 8x24 monitor and a clicky keyboard (i still use clicky keboards and have 4).  are they still a 'mini-computer' type setup?
View Quote
Our credit card processing software hooks into MAPICS (and most other ERP apps).  They are still the same central computing system, ultra reliable and scalable.  The ratio of computing power from the smallest to the largest is around 80,000.  Still 80x24 for most "green-screen" applications and a specific keyboard designed by IBM after decades of research to be the mot productive for order entry and general computing in the world.  

They developed CUA - Common User Access standards that gave us F1 for help, and F5 for refresh, Tab to navigate fields, and more, that we still use today.  Can't do data entry faster on a GUI.

MANY large companies rely on them. CocaCola, NY Life, Home Depot, MIT, Johns Hopkins, most universities and colleges.  Many cool companies like Hornady, Century Arms, Lyman, Smokey Mtn Knife Works, Frost Cutlery, Chattanooga Shooting Supply, Sunbelt Rentals, who all use my software.

These days, a lot of GUI apps use the system for their back-end processing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sent it to my dad. He is a php and rpg guy..
View Quote
Appreciate it.  Look forward to hearing from him or any of his friends in the biz.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I can ask around if you'd like. I know how to write requirements and use the system n junk, just no programmy thingies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I can ask around if you'd like. I know how to write requirements and use the system n junk, just no programmy thingies.
View Quote
J, that would be great.  I could never affor YOU, anyway, 6Sigma, and all.

We need a good coder, RPG primarily.  PHP would be a nice plus.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have alerted my network- RPG with PHP within 1 hour of Cherokee County.

I am in Cherokee if that helps sway you about me! :D I am always available to help with things and stuff on a not full time basis.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top