Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2016 11:51:16 AM EDT
The Mrs. Dawg and I are moving to Cumming the first week in October. We're going to be in Liberty subdivision off Hwy 9 a mile or two south of GA20. We've lived in the south Forsyth part of Alpharetta and have our regular routines of places we frequent in this general area. Now we're looking for suggestions of restaurants, entertainment options, etc. for Cumming. We prefer local stuff over chain restaurants. So, in that general area who has the best of the following:

Biscuits? We like Guy's Biscuit Barn, but it's not that close to where we're going to be. Is there anything closer to us that's good besides Chick-fil-A?

BBQ? We like 'Cue pretty good but would like to find something on our side of 400.

Mexican? We've got a great corner joint near us now with awesome prices and $3 margaritas. Anything similar nearby?

Chinese?

French?

Greek?

'Merican?

Entertainment?

Parks?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Guys biscuit barn is worth driving to, or try Daisy's which near Forsyth Central High School. For Chinese we like Hong Kong Chinese which is next to Big Lots off exit 14 (it looks like a little hole in wall place, but the food is good). If you like Cuban style food, you'll have to try CoCo's off hwy 20 and Haw Creek circle . My wife is Puerto Rican and the food there is a lot like the food her mom makes (which is awesome). Roosters has great wings and margaritas. For entertainment, I would honestly suggest buying a boat and having fun on Lake Lanier. We have lived here for over 10 years and 2 years ago we finally bought a boat and have spent almost every weekend on the lake. The kids like docking at Lanier Islands water park and playing around there for hours.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
^ Cool. I haven't been to any of those places except for Guy's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I moved to Roswell at the beginning of the year and after a couple months of apartment life moved to Cumming.  Greenville, SC, where we moved from, has a great culinary experience.  Don't plan to find that in Cumming.

Los Rios is good "dirty" mexican (near Publix at exit 14)

Chinese - hahaha...I haven't found good Chinese here (In Georgia) yet.  Nothing in Cumming is cook to order Chinese...again we were spoiled in Greenville

There's a decent European restaurant (GastHaus) near downtown but don't expect authentic German, hence why I call it European.

I've eaten at Cue - The meat was great but sauces aren't my taste.  You should try Praise the Lard in Buford if you want good BBQ.

I hate to be so negative about the food in the area but the wife and I go to Alpharetta or Woodstock if we want great food.  Canton and Dahlonega have some good food options as well.

May want to check out Sawnee Mountain Park.

I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has found some great food options in Cumming.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like Cuban style food, you'll have to try CoCo's off hwy 20 and Haw Creek circle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Guys biscuit barn is worth driving to, or try Daisy's which near Forsyth Central High School. For Chinese we like Hong Kong Chinese which is next to Big Lots off exit 14 (it looks like a little hole in wall place, but the food is good). If you like Cuban style food, you'll have to try CoCo's off hwy 20 and Haw Creek circle . My wife is Puerto Rican and the food there is a lot like the food her mom makes (which is awesome). Roosters has great wings and margaritas. For entertainment, I would honestly suggest buying a boat and having fun on Lake Lanier. We have lived here for over 10 years and 2 years ago we finally bought a boat and have spent almost every weekend on the lake. The kids like docking at Lanier Islands water park and playing around there for hours.
View Quote
My neighbors own that joint, they are a riot.  Really good folks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude:

You're moving up one exit north !!!! It ain't like you moved to the other side of the state

There is no real Chinese food in Cumming, get that out of your mind.  Buford Highway is where you need to go.

The one that corrupted you on 1911 and fine leather :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dude:

You're moving up one exit north !!!! It ain't like you moved to the other side of the state

There is no real Chinese food in Cumming, get that out of your mind.  Buford Highway is where you need to go.

View Quote

It's really closer to 1.75 exits north. It's a solid 7 miles of crappy traffic to get back down here to our regular joints.

P.S. Ipanema was pretty good for the price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

P.S. Ipanema was pretty good for the price.
View Quote

Glad you guys like Ipanema.  It takes care of the craving and you don't have to drive all the way to butthead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a restaraunt, yet, they are building one, but Country Folk Superstore is a really cool store. Best pizza in Cumming, imo, is Giorgio's, most pizza here sucks. We like 'Que on 20, I'll  second CoCo's. Best hamburgers ever are at The Burger place on Bannister just off Matt hwy. Furgesons meat market has good, fast, filling, comfort food lunches and great meats. Rice on tge coeners of Browns Bridge and Keith's bridge has good Chinese, my wife prefers Fuku, but shes wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you like Cuban style food, you'll have to try CoCo's off hwy 20 and Haw Creek circle.

It really is good food. The pernil there taste exactly the same has my wife's mothers. It's a small place and it's not a fast food place by any means, but it's worth the wait to eat there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not a restaraunt, yet, they are building one, but Country Folk Superstore is a really cool store. Best pizza in Cumming, imo, is Giorgio's, most pizza here sucks. We like 'Que on 20, I'll  second CoCo's. Best hamburgers ever are at The Burger place on Bannister just off Matt hwy. Furgesons meat market has good, fast, filling, comfort food lunches and great meats. Rice on tge coeners of Browns Bridge and Keith's bridge has good Chinese, my wife prefers Fuku, but shes wrong.
View Quote

I forgot about The Burger Place, it's very good too. I only live about 4 miles from there
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I've eaten at Rice, it's OK.  I prefer the real thing.

That FUKU place was also another so called Chinese rest. prior.  Ate there once, they charged me for an extra bowl of rice.  And that was the last time I set foot there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I forgot about The Burger Place, it's very good too. I only live about 4 miles from there
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called the Burger Stop and yes it is fantastic, I forgot about him as well.  He also has really good chicken fingers if you go for that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Mia's and Bello are pretty decent Italian joints.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got friends who swear by Bello. The Provino's in Cumming is so bland I won't even go there on my birthday for free.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Mrs. Dawg and I are moving to Cumming the first week in October. We're going to be in Liberty subdivision off Hwy 9 a mile or two south of GA20. We've lived in the south Forsyth part of Alpharetta and have our regular routines of places we frequent in this general area. Now we're looking for suggestions of restaurants, entertainment options, etc. for Cumming. We prefer local stuff over chain restaurants. So, in that general area who has the best of the following:

Biscuits? We like Guy's Biscuit Barn, but it's not that close to where we're going to be. Is there anything closer to us that's good besides Chick-fil-A? Guy's is still your best bet, Amos' BBQ is a close second.

BBQ? We like 'Cue pretty good but would like to find something on our side of 400. Again Que is your best bet but Amos' is a close second, the edge goes to 'que due to the better sides.

Mexican? We've got a great corner joint near us now with awesome prices and $3 margaritas. Anything similar nearby? Nope, maybe El Fenix at the Avalon (Alpharetta.)

Chinese? Crap shoot, Fuk U off 17 is good and has decent sushi.

French? Bwhahahwhahhaha...Dude, you're in Cumming now. Gasthaus for German and Euopean dining.

Greek? No clue

'Merican? Take your pick of your favorite chain

Entertainment? Do up your backyard and entertain there. That or head into Alpharetta, Roswell or further south towards the city.

Parks?
View Quote
One thing Forsyth does really well. Central, Fowler, Big Creek, Sawnee Mountian, Matt and Six Mile to name a few

If you're not aware Cumming is not exactly the hot bed of gourmet or mom and pop places unfortunately.

Traffic in/around Market Place Bulevard on a weekend is to be avoid if at all possible. Welcome but understand that you're now in the thick of development in the area, enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this, it's an unassuming place but the food is solid if you're into that sort of thing. Seriously, Cumming is really baron for great food. There's a reason Texas Roadhouse Grill is packed almost every night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Burger Stop, yep not a bad burger at all. A tad pricey but better IMO than the overrated 5 Guys stuff. Helps it's a mile from my house and it's right next the Leon's. Leon's is a staple in these parts, they carry a little of everything to keep you from having to run our further. From Nightcrawlers, to ammo, to hand dipped ice cream and picked eggs. Even has a US Post Office drop and ship in it.

Nothing like walking in and hearing "The Battle of New Orelens." Oh and some 'interesting' people show up there at night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got friends who swear by Bello. The Provino's in Cumming is so bland I won't even go there on my birthday for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case Nueva for Italian (McFarland/ Hwy 9
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
]

View Quote

That would be the wrong direction for 308, I think he's familiar with that area.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That would be the wrong direction for 308, I think he's familiar with that area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

We don't go there now and only live a mile away. We were given attitude on our first visit and left before the food came.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
ATLDiver - RE: Amos' - I'm a member at River Bend Gun Club. Amos' is a staple nearly every visit except on Sundays when they're closed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ATLDiver - RE: Amos' - I'm a member at River Bend Gun Club. Amos' is a staple nearly every visit except on Sundays when they're closed.
View Quote

Yep, it's good. I find their ribs are as good as anything I've around here. Their sides are 'meh' but it's well-priced and has good breakfast.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We don't go there now and only live a mile away. We were given attitude on our first visit and left before the food came.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

I can see that, they have more business than they really want. The food is worth it IMO but I can understand why someone would say that. Reservations are nearly a suggestion, that's the most annoying place but it's the best Italian in this area.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Dude:

View Quote
Oh the lunch deal at shooters alley!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Burger Stop, yep not a bad burger at all. A tad pricey but better IMO than the overrated 5 Guys stuff. Helps it's a mile from my house and it's right next the Leon's. Leon's is a staple in these parts, they carry a little of everything to keep you from having to run our further. From Nightcrawlers, to ammo, to hand dipped ice cream and picked eggs. Even has a US Post Office drop and ship in it.

Nothing like walking in and hearing "The Battle of New Orelens." Oh and some 'interesting' people show up there at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leon's is a staple for sure.  You can get almost anything there.  Didn't realize we were in the same "neck of the 'da woods".

Agree that Burger stop is good but pricey.

For Mexican, our goto is Mezcalero on 13 beside the Publix.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kblagg

View Quote

Is that where Chepe's used to be? When Chepe's opened in '09, they had the best steak fajitas and steak burritos in metro Atlanta. The last two to three years they were there the food was awful.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is that where Chepe's used to be? When Chepe's opened in '09, they had the best steak fajitas and steak burritos in metro Atlanta. The last two to three years they were there the food was awful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Local Mexican places are a joke around here. My wife and I like El Fenix but for cheap, speedy type food Los Rios isn't too bad. It's kind of like Pizza, it's hard to find a good pie around here, Sals isn't bad and Anitco is down in Alpharetta but I roll my own on an BGE.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My wife and I moved to Roswell at the beginning of the year and after a couple months of apartment life moved to Cumming.  Greenville, SC, where we moved from, has a great culinary experience.  Don't plan to find that in Cumming.

Los Rios is good "dirty" mexican (near Publix at exit 14)

Chinese - hahaha...I haven't found good Chinese here (In Georgia) yet.  Nothing in Cumming is cook to order Chinese...again we were spoiled in Greenville

There's a decent European restaurant (GastHaus) near downtown but don't expect authentic German, hence why I call it European.

I've eaten at Cue - The meat was great but sauces aren't my taste.  You should try Praise the Lard in Buford if you want good BBQ.

I hate to be so negative about the food in the area but the wife and I go to Alpharetta or Woodstock if we want great food.  Canton and Dahlonega have some good food options as well.

May want to check out Sawnee Mountain Park.

I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has found some great food options in Cumming.
View Quote

What is good for Chinese in Greenville?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Chinese - hahaha...I haven't found good Chinese here (In Georgia) yet.  Nothing in Cumming is cook to order Chinese...

View Quote

Like I told Big308, if you want real Chinese food, go to Buford Hwy.  You gotta drive to get authentic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like I told Big308, if you want real Chinese food, go to Buford Hwy.  You gotta drive to get authentic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese - hahaha...I haven't found good Chinese here (In Georgia) yet.  Nothing in Cumming is cook to order Chinese...

Not necessarily so, Canton Cooks on Roswell Rd a little bit north of 285 (in the Whole Foods center) is very good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Slopes BBQ is good.  I've stopped in for lunch a couple times when I'm working in the area.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not necessarily so, Canton Cooks on Roswell Rd a little bit north of 285 (in the Whole Foods center) is very good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK so 99.8888999999% of authentic Chinese Restaurants are on Buford Hwy.  

Sweet and sour chicken is NOT real Chinese food. BTW.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure, but I think so.  

We've also been going to Dawsonville Tavern a decent amount lately which isn't too far away.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus Tasty China in Marietta is about as authentic as you can get, so we are down to about 95%.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Plus Tasty China in Marietta is about as authentic as you can get, so we are down to about 95%.
View Quote

Looks like that place is not too far from where I work.  So I will check it out tomorrow and we shall see how authentic it is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the docs i used to work with is from Chna. Most Americans, including myself, will not like authentic Chinese food. It's bland and just not good. And most of it isn't recognizable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mexican? We've got a great corner joint near us now with awesome prices and $3 margaritas
View Quote

Where is that Mexican place?  

Georgios is good Italian food. My wife doesn't like it, but she is wrong. I've heard good things about Baba's gyros on Ronald regan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

i got food poisoning at Chepe's.  No hurt feelings here when I saw there failing restaurant inspection and they closed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#40]
We like Bello Italian, 7Tequila's or Cinco's on Post Rd for Mexican and Butts n Barley for BBQ.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
. I've heard good things about Baba's gyros on Ronald regan.
View Quote

We ate there too...

Food was good but the owner was a pain in the ass... hawking over us and barking at the wait staff.

Next time we will get take-out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Georgios is good Italian food. My wife doesn't like it, but she is wrong. I've heard good things about Baba's gyros on Ronald regan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mexican? We've got a great corner joint near us now with awesome prices and $3 margaritas

Taqueria Las Palmas on Hwy 9 just south of McFarland in the same shopping center as El Don. They have $2.99 house margaritas 7 days a week. Lunch specials start at $4.75, and that includes drink. For $6.25 you can get steak fajitas, rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream,  pico de gallo, and drink.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Cumming has the best hidden gem in Georgia, Gasthaus Le Cafe on Hwy 9. A killer German restaurant, hole in the wall place. Been there almost 20 years and most local folks dont even know of it.

My other favorite place is Cherry St, which is off Post Rd.

If you go south In Alpharetta, you've got Que BBQ, Hop Alley Brewpub (killer beer and food), Crust Pizza, and Branch and Barrel in Avalon. For breakfast hit up Scratch on hwy 9, little better then the Biscuit Place, IMO.

For the best Mexican, you need to go down to Roswell, Taqueria San Pancho and Tacos Linda Vista, both right of hwy 92 on hwy 9.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Agree,
totally,
with Currahee. </poem>

Except for Que - YURZ Maybe I got them on two different bad days but, dang, it was mediocre at best with small portions. Not going back a third time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Looks like that place is not too far from where I work. So I will check it out tomorrow and we shall see how authentic it is.

That place is great! try the Dan dan noodles!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cumming has the best hidden gem in Georgia, Gasthaus Le Cafe on Hwy 9. A killer German restaurant, hole in the wall place. Been there almost 20 years and most local folks dont even know of it.

My other favorite place is Cherry St, which is off Post Rd.

If you go south In Alpharetta, you've got Que BBQ, Hop Alley Brewpub (killer beer and food), Crust Pizza, and Branch and Barrel in Avalon. For breakfast hit up Scratch on hwy 9, little better then the Biscuit Place, IMO.

For the best Mexican, you need to go down to Roswell, Taqueria San Pancho and Tacos Linda Vista, both right of hwy 92 on hwy 9.
View Quote

Gasthaus is one of Cumming's best places, if you haven't had the Chateaubriand meal you really should (requires 48 hour notice.) The Ridge' is pretty good as well for 'chops' if you're into that sort of thing. For the best resturant wings check out Roosters Cafe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like that place is not too far from where I work. So I will check it out tomorrow and we shall see how authentic it is.

That place is great! try the Dan dan noodles!
View Quote

Went and tried Tasty China.  It's interesting that it's in the same complex as the middle eastern stores and restaurants.  

It was tasty and seem authentic.  I had the beef stew noodle soup.  Service was a little chaotic at busy lunch hour.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One of the docs i used to work with is from Chna. Most Americans, including myself, will not like authentic Chinese food. It's bland and just not good. And most of it isn't recognizable.
View Quote

No doubt.

Having been to Beijing and Shanghai a handful of times, the best food is from the places that try and appeal to tourists.

Awesome/hole in the wall places don't exist, probably because its questionably cooked cat or dog or rat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top