Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 6:14:12 PM EDT
I'm building a DMR platform using a 308 gas gun.

I've already acquired the rifle (Larue OBR, 16" barrel) and have set the parameter of a maximum 500 yard engagement distance.

Ive played around with several scopes already and have settled on a 1X6 or 1X8 for the job. I've looked at the Vortex HD II 1X6 and Leupold mark 8 1X8. The Leupold is out simply because of price. I understand the basics on optics and why they cost but I don't see why this scope costs 4K.

Anyway, I've stumbled across the Primary Arms premium 1X8 and it is in the same ballpark as the HD II as far as cost but stronger in overall magnification. Does anyone have experience with this optic? What's everyone's impressions?

I know the glass is Japanese and while it's not German, the Japanese still build competent glass.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a 1x8 scope other than the two listed above?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You could probably hit a 500 man sized target with an aimpoint dialed in. I tend to err on the side of higher magnification and would go with a nightforce 2-10 or 3-10 or higher. With the large range of modern Scopes i.e. 2.5-17, 3-15 its a very versatile package.  

I've found the mid priced scopes are somewhat of a compromise and a lot of people end up moving up to NF etc.

I am always on the hunt for sturdy bargain optics and have equipped a few guns with Sightron S-TACs with good success.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could probably hit a 500 man sized target with an aimpoint dialed in. I tend to err on the side of higher magnification and would go with a nightforce 2-10 or 3-10 or higher. With the large range of modern Scopes i.e. 2.5-17, 3-15 its a very versatile package.  

I've found the mid priced scopes are somewhat of a compromise and a lot of people end up moving up to NF etc.

I am always on the hunt for sturdy bargain optics and have equipped a few guns with Sightron S-TACs with good success.

View Quote

I like the option of magnification for shots while still having the ability to use the optic as a red dot, on its lowest power setting of course.  That's why I have arrived at using either a 1X6 or 8.

I could use angled irons for close engagements but I already have Troy BUIS's on the rifle in case of an optics failure.  I don't disagree about stepping up for the quality.  I own a Nightforce, Leupold Mark IV and a US optic but none of them dial down to one power.  I have looked for other 1X8 power optics and there is just not much out there from the high dollar manufacturers.

Also, Zero Bravo has an interesting close in sighting system that I am just finding.  Curious how this may work out as it looks like it could be a snag hazard.  Also, a little white paint on the inside surface area of the ZB could increase its potential.

SHEP!  Get in here!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
CQBSS can be had new for around 2700 depending on the reticle. Substantially less if you are willing to buy used.

I'v got little time behind the Vortex, but I know a few people who have a bunch. One will tell you their customer service is top notch, hes had to use it a bunch. The one I had messed around with was fine, turret adjustments were mushy but I don't know if thats a common thing with Vortex.

I really like the PA reticle, but am hesitant to try their "platinum" products. The illumination on the 1-6 I tried was sub par/ate batteries, had a fair amount of distortion around the edges and a sensitive eyebox. However its also a sub 300$ scope, so you couldn't be too upset about it I also prefer MOA adjustments, and PA doesn't currently offer that. It might be a great optic, but its new to the market. Time will tell.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats your actual Budget?  IF I was looking at a 1-8, the USO is pretty hard to beat in that category.....its about the only scope I'd buy from them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Whats your actual Budget?  IF I was looking at a 1-8, the USO is pretty hard to beat in that category.....its about the only scope I'd buy from them.
View Quote
Is that one a true 1x?

Not sure how much that matters to the OP, but I believe its a reason many 3 gun shooters don't use it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#6]
When my daughter was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 500yds with a DDM4v1, an Aimpoint Micro T1, and M193 ammo......using holdovers!  

I can't endorse any magnified optic sold by Leupold under the Mark 4/6/8 names.  

The Vortex HD scopes I have handled and used have been excellent optics, but I have not used the particular one you mentioned.  

Nightforce has a 1-4x24mm that is an excellent scope, as well as 3 scopes in 2.5-10 range; a x24, a x32 and a x42.   I have one of each, they're all excellent.

The Nightforce SHV 3-10x42mm is a great scope for the money.  Retail should be about $800.  I like mine very much, but it isn't available with an illuminated reticle....yet.  

The Nightforce ATACR4-16x42mm F1 is an outstanding scope, purpose-built for a .308 gas gun.  Mine is definitely one of my favorite optics.  

The S&B Short Dot would be a recommendation, but may be out of your price range.  I'd like one myself!

I hear rumors of NF coming out with a 1-6x or 1-8x, but can't confirm and no idea how long it will take if it's true.  

While the 1x setting on a variable powered optic will be more usable up close than a 3x or 4x, like the man said above, they are rarely a true 1x and some folks find them hard to use.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushnell Elite 1-6.5x24 on my SPR set up. They make both a FFP and a SFP with similar but different reticles. The FFP has BDC dots and the SFP has mil hashes. It is true 1x and the brightness of the Illumination is good for all but the very brightest days, so it can be used like a red dot. The scope brightness is very close if not equal to my Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6 SG1 scope. A 1x there is no fish eye. It has turret caps and turrets are .1 mil clicks and are resettable

When I decided on this, I compared it to a Vortex Strike Eagle and there really is no comparison. The Elite is much better lenses, much brighter and better reticle.

They retail for around $1300, but that's crazy. I got mine off of ebay for under $700.

Here's some details

Bushnell Elite

Just another option.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is that one a true 1x?    

Not sure how much that matters to the OP, but I believe its a reason many 3 gun shooters don't use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that one a true 1x?    

Yup True 1-8, and one of the few that has a real option for Day Light visible Dot at 1x.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm curious as to why? I'm not a Leupold fanboy by any means, but I do own a Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm and its been a great scope. I would choose NF if I was buying any more high end scopes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm curious as to why? I'm not a Leupold fanboy by any means, but I do own a Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm and its been a great scope. I would choose NF if I was buying any more high end scopes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see more Mark 4's fail in my school than all other scope brands put together.  Failure to hold/return to zero, adjustments that aren't close to what they should be, failure to hold parallax, lenses "de-laminating" in the FFP models, etc.   For the price, I haven't seen the Mark 6/8 lines to be much better in terms of reliability; just lots more doodads.   The Mark 6 CQBSS has the worst feeling turrets I've ever seen.  Got as much slop and play as the steering wheel in a '72 Ford pickup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup True 1-8, and one of the few that has a real option for Day Light visible Dot at 1x.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that one a true 1x?    

That's a great scope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd personally go with a Razor Gen II out of those options, but I'd select the 3-18 and mount a holographic sight to the rail or scope for CQB. If I'm selecting a barrel/components/rifle that are known to be accurate, I'd want to be able to use them to their potential at extended ranges. I'm probably an outlier, as my AR's setup for CQB are the least fired weapons that I own. My AR's that have 12X magnification or more get considerably more range time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe it's me but I've always considered a DMR as an intermediate between a carbine and full on sniper rifle.  In my mind that should normally call for 1.5-3x on the bottom end and 6-15 on the top.  

I'd look at those ranges from NF if it was me.  The USO isn't a bad option either.  

Good luck. Whatever you select don't cheap out on the mounts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to have a NF 5.5-22 on my .308. It was way to much for what I used it for.

I picked up a NF 2.5-10 and it's world's better.

If you get it figured out, come to creekside for their DMR matches.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe it's me but I've always considered a DMR as an intermediate between a carbine and full on sniper rifle.  In my mind that should normally call for 1.5-3x on the bottom end and 6-15 on the top.  

I'd look at those ranges from NF if it was me.  The USO isn't a bad option either.  

View Quote

I really like optics in the 2.5-10x / 4-16x power ranges.  

Tim; you're welcome to meet me at the range and look at what I've got.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The nightforce and vortex HD aren't in the same class at all. I don't care what the prices might suggest. Nightforce is head and shoulders about vortex. I owned one vortex for about 4 months, biggest POS i've ever owned. Sent it back 3 times, got a "new" replacement and still had the same issue (illuminated reticle kept going flickering and going off and on). They finally told me that "these are not military grade scopes and I might be to hard on it". I guess racking the action on my scar in my garage was consideried "hard use". Either way, i'll never shoot own one again. Their red dots are equally as shitty, saw and shot and sparc a few weekends and it was junk too.

Nightforce on the other hand is top of class in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a Bushnell Elite 1-6.5x24 on my SPR set up. They make both a FFP and a SFP with similar but different reticles. The FFP has BDC dots and the SFP has mil hashes. It is true 1x and the brightness of the Illumination is good for all but the very brightest days, so it can be used like a red dot. The scope brightness is very close if not equal to my Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6 SG1 scope. A 1x there is no fish eye. It has turret caps and turrets are .1 mil clicks and are resettable

When I decided on this, I compared it to a Vortex Strike Eagle and there really is no comparison. The Elite is much better lenses, much brighter and better reticle.

They retail for around $1300, but that's crazy. I got mine off of ebay for under $700.

Here's some details

Bushnell Elite

Just another option.
View Quote

I own a few of the busnell elites and have been very happy with them for the price.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I see more Mark 4's fail in my school than all other scope brands put together.  Failure to hold/return to zero, adjustments that aren't close to what they should be, failure to hold parallax, lenses "de-laminating" in the FFP models, etc.   For the price, I haven't seen the Mark 6/8 lines to be much better in terms of reliability; just lots more doodads.   The Mark 6 CQBSS has the worst feeling turrets I've ever seen.  Got as much slop and play as the steering wheel in a '72 Ford pickup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone was telling me a year or two ago that leupold switched out the gears inside the scope from metal  to plastic and these issues have cropped up shortly after that switch over. I can't confirm but would make sense.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen these issues with the Leupold Mark 4 line for the past 10-12 years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Badger Ordnance / American defence for mounts, right?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much appreciated sir.  I may take you up on it once I'm done looking around.  While I enjoy saving money my general philosophy is buy once, cry once when it comes to optics.  I may try to get more info on NF and the possibility of a 6 or 8 power optic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Badger Ordnance / American defence for mounts, right?
View Quote

Don't forget Larue Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]
For mounts on a flattop, I like NF, GDI, and Spuhr.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#24]
i have a Vortex Razor gen1 and it's been awesome, it's on a LWRC REPR, so far so good. CM Shoot's friend Scott at Liberty Optics is a awesome guy to deal with. He took a lot of his time answering questions and helping with my budget. I don't feel he would put a optic in someone's hands that would fail.

someone mentioned SCAR's earlier, SCAR's 16/17 have extremely robust carriers and they will destroy lesser optics with the force of the inertia speed. So it is correct they destroy midgrade to cheap optics. I have a Aimpoint comp4 on my 10CQC and a Mark6 1x6 on my 17, both have help up very well.

Shep, i believe what you say, what have you seen on the Mk6 series failing, i'm curious to look for on mine, thank you

OP, the Primary Arms platinum series are Japanese built scopes, the new 6x30 is a Weaver Extreme tacitcal, the 1x8 is built on the same line. the Weaver Extreme line are robust, very clear glass, and track well, they are also a optic that will not break the bank. I've had very good luck with the Weaver scope made in Japan
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tend to agree here 100% on all accounts.
To me a DMR should be able to engage and hit a 2moa target out to 600 yards. While a 1-6/8 can certainly do it. I can attest that it is much easier with 10x.

I choose to run a NF 2.5-10x32 in a 1.5" UniMount with an offset T1 mounted in a LaRue LT724. The T1 gives me a backup as well as close range capability.
If you can find an NXS 2.5-10x24....that is the ultimate bees knees IMO.

It may be well worth considering the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 coupled with an offset close range/backup solution.

Personally, unless the rules of a game specify one sighting system, I would shy away from the true 1x scopes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What range do you use on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know that I use one power range scope more than another, but if I put money on it, I'd say the NF ATACR 4-16x42mm F1.  The power range just works everywhere for me.   I've used it from around 40yds out to a tad over 1200yds (don't have my data book handy to check the exact distance).  It's got a good field of view at 4x at shorter ranges; I had no problems popping running piggies at 40-60yds.   The glass is sharp and clear, no problems ringing steel at 1200+ yards.  

I have  of the 4-16x's with a second on the way.....I'll probably order a third towards the end of the year.  

I'm really digging the NF SHV 3-10x42mm. I don't have a lot of time on it so far, but it will go on my 16.5" Steyr SSG 69 when it's done.  I planned on upgrading it to the 4-16x ATACR later, but I think I'll just go with the 3-10x42mm SHV with illuminated reticle, if/when it hits the market.  I temporarily installed it on my DDM4v1 and loaned the rig to an ARFcommer in my last Guerrilla Sniper course; he shot exceptionally well with that rig.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The nightforce and vortex HD aren't in the same class at all. I don't care what the prices might suggest. Nightforce is head and shoulders about vortex. I owned one vortex for about 4 months, biggest POS i've ever owned. Sent it back 3 times, got a "new" replacement and still had the same issue (illuminated reticle kept going flickering and going off and on). They finally told me that "these are not military grade scopes and I might be to hard on it". I guess racking the action on my scar in my garage was consideried "hard use". Either way, i'll never shoot own one again. Their red dots are equally as shitty, saw and shot and sparc a few weekends and it was junk too.

View Quote

You went through 3 vortex HD's?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

someone mentioned SCAR's earlier, SCAR's 16/17 have extremely robust carriers and they will destroy lesser optics with the force of the inertia speed. So it is correct they destroy midgrade to cheap optics. I have a Aimpoint comp4 on my 10CQC and a Mark6 1x6 on my 17, both have help up very well.
View Quote

It was me, but this was a brand new out of the box razor, and not a single shot was fired. I simply racked the action and the illumination went out. If it can't handle that than it's not an acceptable scope for any work in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 complete razor hd's... Both of which never saw a shot fired.. I send the first one back ones too and they replaced the battery cover.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Vortex and many others (including leupold) conceal QC and design issues with excellent customer service.

It seems like it happens more often with the manufacturers that have diversified product lines and a lot of new offerings.

From my little end of the world vortex has exactly as much return incidence as junk scopes like BSA. When the work they are better optics, but 3 of the 4 vortex items I had went back. That was rings, pst 1-4x, and a red dot. The only thing that had no issue was a crossfire
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
That's pretty much what I say about Leupold and their customer service.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]
DMR?

NF 2.5-10x42

It's going to be cheaper than any high quality 1-8 and it offer's more capability.

I couple my DMR with offset irons for anything up close.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  NF 2.5-10x42  
View Quote

Do you have a specific recommendation for the reticle, eg Mil-R, MOAR, Velocity 600?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

2 complete razor hd's... Both of which never saw a shot fired.. I send the first one back ones too and they replaced the battery cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, that sucks. With it flickering, it sounds like it wasn't making good contact. I know sometimes it can be tough to get the cap screwed down with the O-ring interference fit. Never had to send any of my 4 PST's or current Gen I/II razors in for repair, but that doesn't mean that I won't in the future. I did have a gripe about the resolution on a Gen II compared to a few other optics that I have, but I can still spot misses at 1200+ in moist dirt, so it's not all that bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you have a specific recommendation for the reticle, eg Mil-R, MOAR, Velocity 600?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  NF 2.5-10x42  

Mils vs MOA is a personal choice.  Both accomplish all the same tasks; ranging, hold-offs, leads, etc.

.1mil is roughly 1/3MOA.  That means that a .25MOA scope gives you finer adjustments, but if you have to dial a lot of elevation, then the .1mil is a bit quicker.  

Some folks find mils easier to use and some find MOA easier.  It's a matter of pros and cons.  

I own an equal amount of both, but only because I have to be able to train folks equally well with either system.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Personally, I've gravitated towards Mil systems, but both can work well.

I find that the back end math on Mils is easier to use when compared to MOA setups.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm really digging the NF SHV 3-10x42mm. I don't have a lot of time on it so far, but it will go on my 16.5" Steyr SSG 69 when it's done.  I planned on upgrading it to the 4-16x ATACR later, but I think I'll just go with the 3-10x42mm SHV with illuminated reticle, if/when it hits the market.  I temporarily installed it on my DDM4v1 and loaned the rig to an ARFcommer in my last Guerrilla Sniper course; he shot exceptionally well with that rig.
View Quote

It was definitely the hardware on this one.   It was a great scope, and I had no real issues using it even at fairly close range, it had a really good FOV.  Once getting close enough that 3x was an issue I was well within pistol range.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Some folks find mils easier to use because most mil scopes use .1mil, therefore it's all .1 and multiples of 10.  Some mil scopes in the 1-4x/1-6x range use .2mils.  

.1mil = 1 cm @ 100 meters

Most tactical MOA scopes use .25MOA, so 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full (or .25, .50, .75, 1).  Again, some tactical scopes in the 1-4x/1-6x range use .5MOA.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top