Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 10:01:15 PM EDT
Hi, Has anyone been to either Chestnut Mountain Range @ Johns Mtn. WMA or Wilson Shoals Range @ the Wilson Shoals WMA? Looking for positive or negative on either location.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been a few years since I last went to John's Mountain, it was reasonably nice when I was there, only real concern is some of the people that will show up there, don't know if the switch to requiring parking passes reduces that factor any.  You at least used to need to take clothespins to attach your targets to the wire mesh on the posts used as target holders.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Johns Mountain is hit or miss.  On a nice Saturday it will be pretty busy and there are always a few fudd's there just blowing off rounds for the fun of it.  Most people are decent though and there to shoot and go home in one piece.  It is self managed so you can go 30 minutes between going cold to access your target.  The barriers last time I was there were plastic tree save fencing so bring clips and duct tape.  Hard to argue for the price though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to frequent Wilson Shoals WMA up until they changed the requirements for use. They now require that you have at least one of the following in order to use the range: Ga. Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP), 3-day hunting license, annual hunting license with a WMA stamp, Sportsman's license, and possibly a lifetime hunting license. I have zero need for a GORP, WMA stamp, 3-day license, or a Sportsman's license. Besides, since they built Georgia Gun Club with a 100yd indoor range, I have no need to use Wilson Shoals for the purpose of sighting in rifles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to frequent Wilson Shoals until about a year ago.
It's a nice little range. The RO's are a hit or miss type deal. Some are nice, some are assholes.
The stupid 1 shot every second rule is cramping my style and God Help You if you rock up with anything NFA or AR15 pistol.

Brass whores will round your brass up before you get a chance to do it.

That said, it's usually not very busy during the week and it's not stupid hot like anywhere south of Jaymor. I have a GORP membership...may go up there again this week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will check one out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Had a kid point a shotty at my head three times there.

I yelled at him the second time.

I grabbed the shotty the third time.  Dad bowed up and I said "He keeps pointing it down the line!"

Not going back...too much derp at public ranges.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I grabbed the shotty the third time.  Dad bowed up and I said "He keeps pointing it down the line!"

View Quote

Where do you go now? I live in Canton and I am looking for something north of here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a bit of a drive for you (about an hour and 45 minutes) and certainly not north of you, but if you are interested in shooting at a private, non-commercial, outdoor range near Madison, the Angry Emu Range would welcome you with open arms. There are no range fees or dues, but we do ask that you attend work days as your time and schedule permits, but no need to attend a work day before coming out to shoot.

The range currently consists of 5 sturdy rifle benches with backstops at 100/150/200 yards and a 30' wide pistol berm at 25 yards. All the backstops and the berm have steel targets in place. Primitive camping is currently available on site, with a grill and BBQ pit near the firing line, if you'd like to cook some burgers for lunch or supper out here. We have plans to create an actual campground with electric and water, soon. There are also plans for more benches at 300 & 500 yards as well. The range is currently UNDERutilized, so you'd likely have the place to yourself, if you chose to make the drive down. If you did encounter anyone else out here, it would probably be a small group of 2-4 fellow ARFcommers, that you'll be proud to shoot with, and call your friends, thereafter.

This is a range created by, and for, the GA HTF. If you have questions, or want directions, IM me. We'd love to have you come out and shoot with us!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where do you go now? I live in Canton and I am looking for something north of here.
View Quote

I am a member at River Bend

I also shoot at my own property in White county sometimes (limited to 100 yards and not easy to post/paste targets due to terrain)

I infrequently shoot at Bullseye Marksman if that is more convenient for someone who has asked for my help.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been to Wilson Shoals many times. There are a couple good ole boys that work as ROs that are great. One's an older guy, and the other's middle aged with bad teeth. But both are helpful, nice, and have never said anything about NFA weapons, silencers, shotguns with slugs etc. The older guy did mention the rule about shotguns one time but said we were ok as we were being very safe and courteous.

I generally go on weekdays, the earlier the better. Usually very few people there, sometimes I get it all to myself.

And you don't have to have a GORP, you can just pay the $4 or whatever it is. I bought a GORP, and it was only $16 for the year, so if I go to the range more than 5 times, it pays for itself.

Az
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might consider Adairsville Sporting Range, on the private property of retired Bartow County Sheriff's Deputy Steve Holloway.  Probably 35 minutes from Canton.  It ain't a River Bend as far as looks and amenities, but private and never busy, $250/yr.  www.adairsvillesportingrange.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top