Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 1:46:22 PM EDT
I see the country folk on the side of the 400  and the gas stations up here selling these boiled peanuts all the time.
Never tried it.
So ifn I was fixin to grub on this Southern snack for the first time - is there a place or type to try that is better than the rest? Some signs say Cajun which sounds like it could be tasty with a cold one.

The grits thing was very disappointing... and everyone wants to change your mind with their way of cookin em but they aint my thing.
Hush puppies, funnel cake, fried baloney sammichies, deep fried snickers bar were all good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Boiled peanuts are delicious.

Grits are a horrible creation. Born and raised in the South, and I've never had a serving of grits I've enjoyed.

Now, "Girls Raised In The South"... That kind of GRITS is a whole different conversation!

Since you're looking for old-time country eats, drop some peanuts in your bottle of Coke, and you might be surprised at how good they are!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Boiled peanuts are awesome. Year round.

Grits are good but I don't care for them plain. Got to have lots of cheese, cream and butter. Even better, shrimp and sausage.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind, you have to remove the shell from the peanut before you eat it. One of my former BIL's from Vermont wanted to try some boiled peanuts when they were down for a visit, popped the whole thing in his mouth. He ate several like that before I noticed what he was doing, I just heard him complaining about the texture as I was driving.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
One dude said to eat them shell n all.........
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One dude said to eat them shell n all.........
View Quote

Then he was an idjit....

Did you ever have a chance to try some of Meme's at Redgoats shoot?  

As for those convince store boiled peanuts, ask the clerk when they were put in the cooker....They'll lie and say "Oh, this morning" but if they are dark, dark brown to black and the shell is softer than aldente pasta, they've been simmering too long....

If you've never had any pick up a can at the store ( not as good as fresh, but usually better than convience store fare)...Follow the directions on the can to heat them up and give them a try....If you like, I can pass along Meme's super secret directions and you can boil your own....
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Boiled peanuts? Meh.  Gotta have a lot of salt in them for my yankee tastes.  Best way to eat grits is with shrimp and gravy in them.  If you can't do that, then I sprinkle a little brown sugar on them.  Of course my born and raised in the south wife thinks that's gross, but she drinks beer in tomato juice so what the hell does she know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Boiled peanuts and grits are mighty fine vittles. Sugar in grits is a crime punishable by death in these parts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boiled peanuts and grits are mighty fine vittles. Sugar in grits is a crime punishable by death in these parts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

+1....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried boiled peanuts, grest flavor but can't  get past the consistancy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#10]
They have to still have a firm shell and the color should be a nice brown color.

The meat should be soft yet still firm enough to maintain it's shape when it comes out of the shell.

Proper salt is essential.  

My favorite are the red skin variety that are out right now(most likely originating from Florida and South Ga).
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I like boiled peanuts.  My grandfather got me hooked when I was a kid.  I don't get them very often anymore.  Surely the roadside stand versions would be the best but the ones they sell at Racetrac are pretty solid in a pinch.  I believe the brand is Peanut Patch.  The Cajun has a good spice to it so I usually go for a 50/50 mix.  

On the topic of grits, they do require a good bit of butter to taste decent to me.  Quaker instant grits is about the best I've had honestly.  I get the butter flavored kind and add more real butter.  I usually crumble up some bacon in there when I'm making breakfast.  Now, shrimp and grits is a whole nother ballgame.  That stuff is what dreams are made of.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top