Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2016 5:40:41 PM EDT
Remember to watch for our slithery friends, good for startling the women and girly men... found a young black rat snake in the garage earlier,  wife wouldn't let me keep it...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here where I live in Florida we have Indigo's long black snakes unfortunately they are protected by law.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Around here where I live in Florida we have Indigo's long black snakes unfortunately they are protected by law.
View Quote

Yep, used to be a pretty good sized one that hung around my grandparent's property, they swear it was longer than their garage door was wide.  Relocated a few while working construction down there, so they wouldn't get squished by equipment.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a pretty big Eastern kingsnake in my garage last year.   Chased it into the backyard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Redwolf, whilst mowing the Angry Emu Range last Saturday, saw a black racer at the range, in almost exactly the same spot I saw the last one, back in '87. Same description too, narrow, long, and fast as lightning!

Yep, they're officially out!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Killed a copperhead 2 days ago. Unfortunately it struck my wife's dog first, but she's ok after a pretty hefty vet bill.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Had a pretty big Eastern kingsnake in my garage last year.   Chased it into the backyard.
View Quote

This one got pretty annoyed when I picked it up, even struck at me initially, but it's mouth was too small to actually grab my hand...  Moved him into some brush that we haven't cleared out yet.  Not big enough to go after adult rodents yet, hope it grows up to eat squirrels :-)  And that the hawks that have been hunting in the neighborhood don't see him.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Killed a copperhead 2 days ago. Unfortunately it struck my wife's dog first, but she's ok after a pretty hefty vet bill.
View Quote
Been my expierience that Benadryl treats copperhead bites pretty well for canines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Came across a timber rattler on the (farm) neighbor's property.  about 15 buttons and just over 5 foot long.  yikes!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been my expierience that Benadryl treats copperhead bites pretty well for canines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point/tip. That's what I've read since the incident as well. Our biggest issue was the bite occurred about 1/4" from the dogs eye, which caused a little more concern.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, used to be a pretty good sized one that hung around my grandparent's property, they swear it was longer than their garage door was wide.  Relocated a few while working construction down there, so they wouldn't get squished by equipment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw one hunting with the kids for pigs last year and I thought it was a small gator at first, can't really prepare yourself for how big those suckers get.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
if anyone comes across a rattlesnake that ends up beheaded I'd love if you could throw it on ice and let me come pick it up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw about 5' black rat smeared on the road today.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Neighbor was hit on the hand buy a rattler Thursday when he was looking for something in his workshop.

Was pretty much a dry bite with very little swelling. The the Dr has him on a course of strong antibiotics 4x's a day.

The puncture wounds are seeping and he's experiencing moderate pain.

For those that don't recall my daughter was hit in leg by a copperhead about 4 yrs ago while visiting relatives near Dawsonville. She was administered 4 bags of antivenom and spent 4 or 5 days in the ICU at The Children's Hospital in Atlanta. She fully recovered and the scar is barely noticeable unless you know where to look.

td  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, our black lab got tagged on the muzzle by a fairly large copperhead. Gave her a pretty good dose of benadryl and she was fine the next day.
We've got Mocassins everywhere around here...haven't seen one yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup, our black lab got tagged on the muzzle by a fairly large copperhead. Gave her a pretty good dose of benadryl and she was fine the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know that about Benadryl, guess you have to get it on the bite quickly. My sister had a Jack Russell Terrier that was bit by a copperhead, they spent thousands on vet bills but the little fellow still died about 9 months later from complications due to the snake bite.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I didn't know that about Benadryl, guess you have to get it on the bite quickly. My sister had a Jack Russell Terrier that was bit by a copperhead, they spent thousands on vet bills but the little fellow still died about 9 months later from complications due to the snake bite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it to them internally.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
With two dogs that spend most of their life outside this is relevent to my interests!!!

What size dose are we talking about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With two dogs that spend most of their life outside this is relevent to my interests!!!

View Quote

About 45lbs. Gave her twice the children's dose. Can't really OD on it. Also gave baby aspirin and a shot of penicillin to be safe, but the Benadryl did the tick. Also worked for a pig that got bit on the back leg. He was tasty!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

About 45lbs. Gave her twice the children's dose. Can't really OD on it. Also gave baby aspirin and a shot of penicillin to be safe, but the Benadryl did the tick. Also worked for a pig that got bit on the back leg. He was tasty!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

I relayed it to the wife, and will file it away in the back of my brain, and hopefully will NEVER need it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
No problem. Let me know if you ever need Peniscillin. I usually keep a bunch of it on the property for the anumals. I've not used it on humans yet, but the kids are deathly afraid of developing a cough! Sorry...scothc is skrogn.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I almost stepped on a baby copperhead at FEMA camp this weekend. I was walking with my head turned talking to the folks behind me and stepped over it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Caught a copperhead in our shed a few weeks ago.  Saw no reason to leave it in the area so I killed it rather than release it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
How often are the venomous ones seen in suburbs?  I read your guys comments and it seems like you see them regularly.  I ask because we live in a new sub division built on an old pasture and I've got two little boys 4 and 3, so I'm a little concerned about them running around out back near the woods.  

Any advise?  Anything I can do to make them safer?

Thanks and sorry for the somewhat basic question.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How often are the venomous ones seen in suburbs?  I read your guys comments and it seems like you see them regularly.  I ask because we live in a new sub division built on an old pasture and I've got two little boys 4 and 3, so I'm a little concerned about them running around out back near the woods.  

View Quote

They show up occasionally, I'm in the Marietta/Kennesaw/Woodstock area and my daughter has seen a couple of copperheads and moccasins over the years, either here or near her mother's place in Dunwoody.  Part of why I try to encourage rat and king snakes to stick around.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The story I told earlier in this thread about my sister's dog happened inside the perimeter near 400, snakes can be anywhere they find food and habitat. Best thing you can do is keep your lot clean, get rid of brush piles, rock piles and anything else that provides cover because that is where copperheads like to hang out. There are some plants that may discourage snakes, I've seen it on signs at the nursery but not sure how effective they are. A couple that come to mind are lemongrass and wormwood.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends greatly on your lot location and surroundings. Do you have any large bodies of water around? That will increase your chances. I've got a large section of railroad tie retaining wall that snakes seem to love to get into, especially with the Juniper we have planted on sloped incline above that retaining wall.

I see copperheads, king snakes, and indigo snakes every year here in Dacula/Gwinnett County. However, we have a large pond adjacent to the backside of our property. It comes with the territory. I also encourage King snakes to stay around. Last year we had a large yellow striped King snake hang around our backyard all season and we didn't see any copperheads last year.

I also agree that my dogs generally find them first.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How often are the venomous ones seen in suburbs?  (We had lived in our SD 18 years without seeing a single viper.  Then, two years ago, I saw three CHs in two days.  Haven't seen one in two years.  Wife discovered a shed snakeskin in the garage a few days ago.  Probably a rat snake but not sure.) I read your guys comments and it seems like you see them regularly.  I ask because we live in a new sub division built on an old pasture and I've got two little boys 4 and 3, so I'm a little concerned about them running around out back near the woods.  (They're about as likely to be on your doorstep as to be "near the woods".  I haven't kept score, but if made to answer I'd say more bites happen on doorsteps and walkways than in the yard.--but probably because people are more often on the walkway than the yard.)

View Quote

Advise: They're more likely to be stung by insects, perhaps severely and multiple times, than be bitten by a snake.  IMO, stinging insects are the real killers, especially for those allergic and don't know it.  One can walk a few feet and be safe from a snake.  Not true with hornets etc..  While I have been chased by a black racer, when I was little, I have never been chased by a viper.  I have been chased nearly a mile by bumblebees.  I was not chased by yellow jackets, but probably a hundred were hangers on while I ran about a mile to my car.  I got to the car and thought I was safe when I noticed many were still on the inside of my shirt that was unbuttoned when I was attacked.  Drill them on what to do if attacked by wasps etc..  RUN! and keep running until indoors or sure they're not pursuing.  

I could go on and on and on and on.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
A couple of very sizeable moccasins got dispatched with some #7.5 shot...~4ft+

And snakes in the wild don't eat nearly as many rodents as some would have you believe, research shows they eat only once a week or less...sometimes once a month.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A couple of very sizeable moccasins got dispatched with some #7.5 shot...~4ft+

And snakes in the wild don't eat nearly as many rodents as some would have you believe, research shows they eat only once a week or less...sometimes once a month.
View Quote

I don't remember the last time I saw a WM.  I would have liked to see a picture.  4' is a whopper.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Never seen a Moccasin above Atlanta.  Seen a LOT of water snakes, indigos, and rat snakes killed cause they were mistaken for Moccasins.

I have lived at the same location on Lanier for 20+ years.  Total snake tally here has been 2 water snakes, 4 ring snakes, 2 rat snakes, 1 2 ft garter, and a single 2.5 ft copperhead (dispatched).

Best advice I can give is don't kill the non-venomous ones you find in your AO...or you open the door for the venomous type.

If I had a resident King snake I would feed it intentionally!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#33]
We don't have any water nearby, but we do have trees and rocks.  The builder planted some of that stupid Juniper that grows on an incline; I was planning on getting rid of it before it expanded.  I now have an even better reason.  

Most of the rocks are too dang big to move, but I'll see what I can do in that area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I was working in the yard and in the edge of my woods I have found 2 King snakes a nice big one who was all stretched out at easily 4 feet and a little guy was probably about 18 inches . I had to move the little guy so he did not get mowed over
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I have been hearing from multiple sources that this is a bumper year for copperheads and they had already had a record number of bites reported, on dogs especially.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Forgive my ignorance, but does this insinuate that rat and king snakes prey on copperheads?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but does this insinuate that rat and king snakes prey on copperheads?
View Quote

King snakes are immune to venom and will put a hurting on other snakes as well as mice, rats, etc. They are GREAT to have around.

I don't think rat snakes are immune to venom, but I may be incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I know last year was a bumper Coperhead year. Our pediatrician even warned us.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

King snakes are immune to venom and will put a hurting on other snakes as well as mice, rats, etc. They are GREAT to have around. They will prey on smaller snakes both venomous and non-venomous.  They will engage and kill larger venomous and non-venomous snakes even if not hungry to maintain territory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

King snakes are immune to venom and will put a hurting on other snakes as well as mice, rats, etc. They are GREAT to have around. They will prey on smaller snakes both venomous and non-venomous.  They will engage and kill larger venomous and non-venomous snakes even if not hungry to maintain territory.

I am not sure it is all king snakes, but many at least are immune to rattlesnake and copperhead venom.  They are fantastic to have around.

Only idiots kill non-venomous snakes.  Doing so is like killing every other exterminator you have out to your house.

The daughter spotted a mouse/rat in our garage the other day...turned out to be a mouse (easily bagged in a Victor) but now I am worried there are more.

If I find a king I am relocating it to my location.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#40]
It's been my experience that you see fewer venomous snakes in areas populated by non-venomous snakes, whether they actually are a threat to them or not. I see more grey rats around here than kings, but that doesn't seem to matter.
Whether science bears this out or not, I have no idea. Just my observation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's been my experience that you see fewer venomous snakes in areas populated by non-venomous snakes, whether they actually are a threat to them or not. I see more grey rats around here than kings, but that doesn't seem to matter.
Whether science bears this out or not, I have no idea. Just my observation.
View Quote

If the food source cant substain the venomous snakes they will move on..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top