Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 2:39:26 PM EDT
I've read about 4 billion pages pertaining to trusts and such, as I am wanting to Form 1 a suppressor sometime this year. I've seen too many different opinions to make a decision at this point, and I wanted to hear the HTF's opinion. Has anyone here used a DIY type trust for nfa Items? I am heavily leaning on having a lawyer do mine, it seems like the safe/smart way to go, because I will eventually put Items in the trust that will be inherited. But of course I'm curious of the allure of a cheaper option. Has anyone in the HTF has successfully used a downloaded $49.99 type trust?

Found this thread. Has anyone dealt with this guy lately? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/477480_NFA_Trusts_and_Attorney_Doug_King.html
seems like a great price if it still stands.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a lawyer to do your trust, you don't want to make a mistake on a NFA trust.  Dean Phillips has done most of the ones I have seen, only $99.

https://nfalawyers.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I wrote my own using a template found online.  A trust is an incredibly simple document and undeserving of the mystique and mystery we tend to ascribe to it when using one for NFA purposes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a std form trust and it flew through with no issues. Trusts are seriously simple and don't need the expense of a lawyer.

That said I was reliably told that the only trust that one of our local NFA dealers ever had an issue with came from the person in that thread.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used a std form trust and it flew through with no issues. Trusts are seriously simple and don't need the expense of a lawyer.

That said I was reliably told that the only trust that one of our local NFA dealers ever had an issue with came from the person in that thread.

YMMV.
View Quote
The trusts that were effected were quickly fixed. It was a missing schedule if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I used willmaker with no issues. One comment is to make the trust name short and sweet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone think that the people offering 99 dollar trusts do anything other than put your name into a form?

I used willmaker and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone think that the people offering 99 dollar trusts do anything other than put your name into a form?

I used willmaker and have had no issues.
View Quote

No.  No they don't.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a lawyer to do your trust, you don't want to make a mistake on a NFA trust.  Dean Phillips has done most of the ones I have seen, only $99.

https://nfalawyers.com/
View Quote

this, any and all questions answered!  great guy!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The trusts that were effected were quickly fixed. It was a missing schedule if I remember correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Did the trust specifically call out for a schedule? I've seen some that didn't include a schedule A, just assignment sheets.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did the trust specifically call out for a schedule? I've seen some that didn't include a schedule A, just assignment sheets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV.

Mine cleared the atf with no issues. I also didn't have the schedule. If I remember correctly it was something about the trustees not getting paid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
For those of you who successfully used a template, how do these look compared to yours?
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/georgia-trust-document-examples-free-trust-examples.197732/
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top