Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 9:22:47 AM EDT
Just got a new 4runner for the family car and trying to decide what % tint to go with. I really want the front to match the rear and back glass. As y'all know, it gets HOT here in the summer and window tint does make a difference. I also like the privacy it provides.

Also, have any of y'all ever been stopped or had legal issues with tint that was darker than 32%? I've got 15% on my truck and have never had it be a problem in the last 7-8 years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quite a few years ago Georgia threw out the window tint law due to the wording of the statute, so there was no window tint law for years.  It has since been reinstated.  

I got pulled over about 2 years ago by Cobb Co PD STEP for my window tint, so there are definitely some folks enforcing it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I did my fronts at 20 to match the factory rears on my chevy truck.

I haven't been stopped for it. I like the look and see no reason not to do it.

That said putting darker tint is an invitation to the man to get in your life....

Cops can be pricks if you give them an excuse.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
32% on the front passenger/driver side windows, six inch strip top of the windshield. 20% will get you a citation.
There is a safety factor, would you wear sunglasses at night or in the rain? I have had 7 vehicles done this way, and never a problem.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a GSP sergeant pull me over a few months ago on I-85 only to write me a ticket for 20% window tint on my F-150.

I'm pro LE, but guys like that can piss off.

Find something better to do than to attempt to win a set of shitty steak knives.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Was pulled over nearly 2 years ago, about a week after I bought my '84 Mercedes 300D. The previous owner had said the tint was legal, but I thought it was a bit too dark. Mr. GSP confirmed it was too dark, looked at my bill of sale, then wrote me a warning ticket. He said that it would be logged on the computer, and if I did not fix it, and got pulled over again by GSP, I would get a ticket, not another warning.

I wonder how long that warning stays in the computer? Assuming he actually could attach a warning to my VIN in the GSP computer system.....  

Still haven't changed the tint......
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
How much are the tickets usually?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was pulled over nearly 2 years ago, about a week after I bought my '84 Mercedes 300D. The previous owner had said the tint was legal, but I thought it was a bit too dark. Mr. GSP confirmed it was too dark, looked at my bill of sale, then wrote me a warning ticket. He said that it would be logged on the computer, and if I did not fix it, and got pulled over again by GSP, I would get a ticket, not another warning.

I wonder how long that warning stays in the computer? Assuming he actually could attach a warning to my VIN in the GSP computer system.....  

Used to use the old "gonna log this in the system" warning a lot.   No such thing, although a written warning may be on ur DH.....not sure, we didn't do written warnings at my old PD.  

Still haven't changed the tint......
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much are the tickets usually?
View Quote

Last time I was in court I witnesses a young lady defiantly tell the judge that no she had not fixed her tint when asked, and when asked if she was planning to remove it she replied, "No".The judge told her, "You know you will be pulled over and given another citation if you do not remove it, right?" To which she replied, "I don't care"

IIRC her fine was a little over 100$ This was in Gwinnett county.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
tint used to be a secondary offense, but lately they've been wanting more revenue.  wife got pulled over for tint, we took it off after that, not worth it.  we now go the legal limit.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
32% on the front passenger/driver side windows, six inch strip top of the windshield. 20% will get you a citation.
There is a safety factor, would you wear sunglasses at night or in the rain? I have had 7 vehicles done this way, and never a problem.
View Quote

Aren't most cop cars 20% and darker-usually looks around 5% (limo) to me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a doctors excuse for the tint, put 3 layers of 5% on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aren't most cop cars 20% and darker-usually looks around 5% (limo) to me.
View Quote

I don't see many patrol cars with tinted windows.   It's a terrible idea as it makes it hard to make out details at night when you're patrolling.  

When I worked for Marietta PD, the only cars that had tinted windows were the Crime Interdiction Unit cars.  I was on that unit for 3 years.   Our windows were tinted because we would drive snitches and complainants around in the cars and we didn't want the bad guys seeing them.  

We hated the tinted windows.   We tried to get them to leave the tint off the front windows and only use it on the rear.   When we drove around at night it was difficult making out stuff through the windows.   During the winter it was a real PITA because we were always rolling the windows up and down.  

After driving a patrol with tint like that on the front windows for 3 years, I would never have it done to my personal vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a GSP sergeant pull me over a few months ago on I-85 only to write me a ticket for 20% window tint on my F-150.

Find something better to do than to attempt to win a set of shitty steak knives.
View Quote

Yeah, the nerve of that guy, enforcing the law like that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I got 3 tickets in  statesboro for 15% around campus they were all about $100.  I have since given up and put legal tint on current car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's plenty of symbolic laws in GA that aren't enforced. Find something better to do than to look to window tint as anything more than a secondary offense.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Whatever you do, use The Tint Guy up in woodstock....they have done all my vehicles.....outstanding job and really good 3M tint.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate the reference but that's about 4 hours from here. We have a shop here in town that does good work, I'll probably just go with 20% and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks yall.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
tint used to be a secondary offense, but lately they've been wanting more revenue.  wife got pulled over for tint, we took it off after that, not worth it.  we now go the legal limit.  
View Quote

I was stopped for it when I first moved here. I removed it, not worth the hassles in the future.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Edited-joker581
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Edited-joker581
View Quote

Oh yeah, quality cop right here guys.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edited-joker581

Not surprising considering some of his past posts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited-joker581

Damn. I miss the good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
So far so good. I put the legal limit on front two windows and 6 inch strip. And added a light layer to back three on truck. No issues yet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been running 20% all around since 2013 with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#26]
He used SunTek tint which he said he preferred over 3M. 18% was a factory match, $69 out the door. Looks great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top