Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 8:13:07 AM EDT
guys i picked up a Glock17 gen4 and it's going to be part of my load out/kit. I need real world advice on any upgrades....nights sights, triggers, etc.........this has to be a weapon that get's it down in the worst possible situations. My wifes cousin has been making solid advice on load out/kit items and that's been very helpful. I don't know about Glocks as much as i should, i know there reputation. So if you guys could school me i would be greatful, thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Install a good set of sights. I prefer the Trijicon HD..... Leave the rest alone and shoot the snot out of it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I like an extended mag release and slide lock. I just picked up a 17 cut to 26 mag length which is something I wanted for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Night sights, then leave it alone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I recommend the following.

1.  Sights - Trijicon HD Night Sights with  Green or Orange front sight surround.
2.  Surefire X300 Weapon light with the DG-11 Glock light pressure switch.   I run this on my warbelt.
3.  Glock or ZEV extended slide stop.
4.  Grip plug to keep debris and crap out of the bottom of your guns action.  
5.  Vickers tactical base plates for your magazines.  Really helps extract your magazines easier should they get stuck.

Other than that, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer fiber optic sights over night sights or tritium.

YMMV

Specifically F/O front and plain rear
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Night sights
Weapon light
Ammo
Magazines
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Night sights
Weapon light
Ammo
Magazines
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe some Talon grips? Just put some on my 19/43. Have a Vickers 17 on the way
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Install a good set of sights. I prefer the Trijicon HD..... Leave the rest alone and shoot the snot out of it.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks guys. I very much appreciate the input
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Night sights
Weapon light
Ammo
Magazines
View Quote

I'll agree with this as well. Every single time I've put after market stuff INSIDE a glock, I ran into trouble.
I'll add a grip plug, but that's about it. Leave the rest of it bog standard glock stuff and you'll be good (at least in my fairly limited experience).
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
on my Glock 20, it only has a Ghost connector and that's it, good enough trigger and reliable. I just want to make sure it stays reliable, thanks again guys
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go with Trijicon HD or TFO sights and a - connector.  I like the lighter trigger and have it in all my Glocks. Beyond that, extended slide release and mag release are nice but come down to personal preference. I like the TLR-1 light.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Trying to learn things, what's a load out kit? I might want one too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

A bag of stuff you can grab incase shtf
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I got it.  I need one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Knock those cheap plastic sights off and replace it with some worthy ones.

And most of all.....biggest piece of advice to offer.......keep your booger picker off the bang switch until you are sure of your target and what is beyond it.
That right there will save your ass even if the gun is loaded or not. Keeps your friends, family and other bystanders from getting accidentally ventilated.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Warren Tactical sights.  Nothing else is needed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Good sights are a must but the rest in up to each individual.

Mine has Ameriglo Tritium Night Sites

Apex Action Enhancement Trigger

and Talon grips.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy a good set of sights and lots of ammo.  Don't accessorize, practice with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You made an excellent choice.

You can't kill a standard Glock 17.

The Gen 4's already have a larger magazine release so I'd hold off on that.

I do like the Trijicon HD sights but some sort of night sight is preferable.

Buy magazines and ammo and get out to some training courses first.  Get familiar with the stock gun before you start trying to purchase performance.

Get a few thousand rounds of trigger time under your belt first, then you'll have more experience about the pistol and your skill level to help you make a better informed decision about upgrades.

You choose......wisely.

USSA-1
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I know it gets overused in GD and it's such a arfcom cliché but....

FPNI

roy d...seriously
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Only replacement sights (I prefer fiberoptic front and black rear) plus lots of practice ammo
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know it gets overused in GD and it's such a arfcom cliché but....

FPNI

roy d...seriously
View Quote

I don't get on GD much at all. FPNI?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
First Post Nails It.

Keep the trigger stock.

Vickers Slide Stop

Vickers Mag Release

Trijicon Suppressor height sights.

Barsto Target Match threaded.

Weaponlight with an infrared laser.
Because you will end up with cans and night vision at some point.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#26]
thanks again guys, all solid suggestions, very happy with the G17, glad i went that way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You made an excellent choice.

You can't kill a standard Glock 17.

The Gen 4's already have a larger magazine release so I'd hold off on that.

I do like the Trijicon HD sights but some sort of night sight is preferable.

Buy magazines and ammo and get out to some training courses first.  Get familiar with the stock gun before you start trying to purchase performance.

Get a few thousand rounds of trigger time under your belt first, then you'll have more experience about the pistol and your skill level to help you make a better informed decision about upgrades.

You choose......wisely.

USSA-1
View Quote

thank you sir, i've been reading up and talking with people that have real world experience and it keeps coming back to this pistol. I'm a big time FN fan boy and wanted to run my FNX 9mm, but accessory option such as holster are limited, so i went with the G17. I'll be ordering a Safariland 6004 series holster when funds come around. Does the Trijicon HD sights come with a red front sight? the reason i ask is my eyes seem to work better with that. The reason i was asking is i didn't want to add parts that will affect reliability. The Ghost connector in my G20 has been perfect for me and has always worked, i just want to keep it simple and reliable. Thank you for your input  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#28]
One other thing that i would recommend is to join GSSF(Glock sport shooting foundation) and that allows you to take the armorers course.  This will teach you how to work on your firearm which would be invaluable for a SHTF situation.  This also allows you to order parts direct through Glock and I would grab a couple RSA's to toss in your bag as well so you can keep your firearm running for a very long time.

I also am a firm believer for a defense firearm to leave the internals alone.  I have a Glock extended mag release and Vickers slide stop on my G17.  The only other thing I would add is a weapon light, ammo and training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top